MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Geocaching Site?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Garmin Geocaching Site? Reply with quote

I was just shocked to find out that Garmin's website now has GC.com geocaches on it. From there you are able to download there caches without going to GC.com. I think that this might be a little odd since then you do not have to agree to the terms and conditions of GC.com.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Looks like it's just traditional caches, and only 15 at one shot, though? When I clicked on the cache info, it took me to Geocaching.com and opened my account there. Not sure what happens if you click that link and don't have an account at Geocaching.com

I do like the feature on the Garmin site that let's you "search from the center of the map" by clicking the mouse, instead of having the map automatically search for caches every time the user moves it around. I wish geocaching.com had this feature as a default. When I move the map around on geocaching.com it often gets stuck loading caches. I'd much rather have it only search for caches when I want it to.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that it is weird that are allowed to do so. You would think that their partnerships would be extended across the GPS market and not to just one brand.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've had some interesting partnerships with Trimble for a while already:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/sendtophone.aspx?gc=GCW6H3
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I just think that it is weird that are allowed to do so. You would think that their partnerships would be extended across the GPS market and not to just one brand.

It might not be an exclusive arrangement, though. Maybe Garmin is more proactive than their competitors.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

It might not be an exclusive arrangement, though. Maybe Garmin is more proactive than their competitors.

I would believe that they would be, but I still think that would protect the integrity of the caches. But with the Geomate, I think that GC.com might be getting something in return.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Garmin has had that feature for a long time. When I first started caching that's where I downloaded my first few caches from. When I registered my Garmin that's how I found out about geocaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: