MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hutchinson Women in the Outdoors event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Hutchinson Women in the Outdoors event Reply with quote

Here's another request the board received for volunteer help.

:SNIPPET:

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is someone out there that would be willing to help with a Women in the Outdoors event (sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation) to show a bunch of women how geocaching works. I'm a novice at it, as I have only recently started geocaching, and I don't know if I would be able to teach a group about it. I would love to talk to someone about it.

Our event is just outside of Hutchinson, MN at a place called Gopher Campfire. This is a gun club with an old campground with lots of space to roam on. Our event is Saturday, September 26th from 9-4. What are we looking for - we'd like a short demo or class, explaining how and what geocaching is, how to find the caches, followed by a hands on demonstration. Depending on the size of the group it may be we want to offer it two to four times during the day because the women will be rotating to different stations. There is a building we can use for the class/demo and then take it out to the campground for a hands on try at finding something.

My thought was that we'd hide some small prizes at a couple of spots on the campground and have them try to find those spots after having the demo/class. I have a Magellan handheld GPS (I'm not sure how to use that) along with a Garmin which I have used a couple of times for geocaching......but again, I'm a novice and not sure what I'm doing yet. Is there someplace to rent GPS units if we want a couple more? That is something we might be able to do from the organization side if I can't find a few more units to use.

Thanks and have a great day!

Cheryl Swenson

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm.. female turkey hunters that want to geocache. Too bad I live so far away.. Crying or Very sad
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there will be at least 3 events that day.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this Red devil's territory? I have year end inventory at work that weekend so I know I can't help.

The only other thing I would say is to have her check with the SP in the area and see if she couldn't borrow a couple of units from them?

I have an extra GPS, but don't normally like to lend it out unless I am at the event myself.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Isn't this Red devil's territory? I have year end inventory at work that weekend so I know I can't help.

The only other thing I would say is to have her check with the SP in the area and see if she couldn't borrow a couple of units from them?

I have an extra GPS, but don't normally like to lend it out unless I am at the event myself.

Yup. Just up the road from me! I will see what I can find out, & contact a few other Hutch cachers.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't heard back from most of the cachers in Hutchinson that I contacted. I may or may not have one other person besides my husband to help me take the ladies around to hunt for the caches we are going to hide. I would love to talk to anyone else who may be able to give us a hand!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Red, It is a big event weekend.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be doing one as well that weekend setup by the DNR, otherwise I would offer to help...
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th event went well, even though we didn't have a large turnout. I got help from IncredibleMagpie & Jar-Lid. I think we may have a few new cachers out there!
I was interviewed by the local paper, and plugged the organization. I will keep an eye out for the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: