MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I will never place another travel item out in the wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: lost or missing Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I think only dumb cachers would discover a TB and then steal it.

You never know nowadays.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others-some of my TBs have joined the MIA group, but that is life.
I like putting TB's out to share and I hope when I ever get my 1000th find (hard to do in an area-where the total of caches is actually going DOWN). I am going to put a can out with special goodies for all-TBs and coins. I hope I can do this in the spring (that means June in North Dakota). Laughing
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug entitled, "Dog Gone Friendly" http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1232328 has travelled only 28 miles since it was released Friday, October 19, 2007.

10/20/2007 meralgia placed it in The Hidden White Bear! Minnesota 13.4mi NE

It was muggled shortly thereafter... maybe even the next day. I moved it to one of my disabled caches.

Then out of nowhere, I get this log:
8/15/2008 jhouse1203 (32 found) grabbed it..."Found it in alexs adventure (gcqrbr)..."

WTF!!!

I emailed him just now to ask if it's still in his posession. I think this one takes the cake as slowest moving and (presumably) still active. Evil or Very Mad
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:
Bug entitled, "Dog Gone Friendly" http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1232328 has travelled only 28 miles since it was released Friday, October 19, 2007.

10/20/2007 meralgia placed it in The Hidden White Bear! Minnesota 13.4mi NE

It was muggled shortly thereafter... maybe even the next day. I moved it to one of my disabled caches.

Then out of nowhere, I get this log:
8/15/2008 jhouse1203 (32 found) grabbed it..."Found it in alexs adventure (gcqrbr)..."

WTF!!!

I emailed him just now to ask if it's still in his posession. I think this one takes the cake as slowest moving and (presumably) still active. Evil or Very Mad

Strange that you just got the note today. It appears that it is also the last cache he has found.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:

Looks like they haven't been caching since August 26th, so they probably still have it. Now getting it moving is the tricky part. Geo Siren had a TB he wanted to get to AZ. I think FSU was the first to pick it up and he moved it all the way to Vegas where the next cacher picked it up on March 3rd. They haven't been caching since March 8th Evil or Very Mad
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new one.. One of my coins was stolen out of somebody's car.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=427336
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Really sad.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pfalstad wrote:

Want to bet someone tries to pawn them thinking they have monetary value and that's why they took them?

I agree, that's sad...
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYSandy23 wrote:
Quote:
pfalstad wrote:

Want to bet someone tries to pawn them thinking they have monetary value and that's why they took them?

I agree, that's sad...

"Hey man, I'll trade you this Limited Edition Icelandic Geocachers Association coin with a volcano spewing glow-in-the-dark lava for some Meth"
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Travel Bugs Reply with quote

I have only released a few TBs since I am looking for something that isn't an obvious copycat of another one.
I just received a note that my 2007 MN Geocoin is on the move again after sitting dormant since last fall. I guess that cacher doesn't cache in the winter.
My first TB, "COKE is it!", a bottle opener, has been great, having traveled to Finland, Portugal, and now in Germany with a cacher. Very Happy
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 21 TBs out there. Several of them made it across the Atlantic. I have one in Germany, another in England, one in Finland and two more in Austria. Four of my TBs have gone missing. I think that is a small price to pay for those that make it to what are to me exotic locals.

I also second (or third, fourth, whatever) the sentiment that some bugs are going to go missing regardless of what is done to the TBs. Caches go missing, its a fact of life. I had to report a TB missing when Rogers Lake was destroyed by loggers. It happens.
Smiling duo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have around 34 TB's and geocoins. I have a number of them sitting at cachers houses or the cache went missing. I have drilled holes in the coins and attached a note saying to move it on, but that really doesn't seemed to work that great either. I do have one over in Europe and I too think they respect the TB more over there. What I will do periodically is to send a note to someone that has had the TB over two months or more and say, this is a friendly reminder that you have in your possession my TB and could you please move it on. This has worked a number of times and they will place the TB back out there. The worst one, was a TB that I made out of a key I picked up from the Key (school Kid's) cache. I started it out in my cache for mileage and then placed it in a cache that I was second to find, thinking the TB will move. WRONG. Who would want a key with a kid's name on it? It never moved and I even went back to see if I could figure out who took it. It only went five miles - then dead. All in all, it is fun to watch where they move to and what some people have to say about them or the pictures that cachers will post.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiling duo,
Was that key bug from "Fourth Rules"? If so, those poor kids. I created a bug from those same keys and dropped it in Wisconsin. Some goof picked it up and has never placed it since January. Grand total of 24 miles. I emailed him but no response. My other TB has gone 0.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've released a handful of coins and have a couple travel bugs. Of course, a few coins have gone missing but the one travel bug I released into the hands of drat19 knowing it would be dropped in Mississippi has now been to Florida, Alabama and Utah. It has the second most miles of the trackables I have released at 2905 miles. My coin with the most miles has been bouncing around Canada and has 3778 miles. Of course I did release one coin that only managed to get 19 miles before going missing.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I've released a handful of coins and have a couple travel bugs. Of course, a few coins have gone missing but the one travel bug I released into the hands of drat19 knowing it would be dropped in Mississippi has now been to Florida, Alabama and Utah. It has the second most miles of the trackables I have released at 2905 miles. My coin with the most miles has been bouncing around Canada and has 3778 miles. Of course I did release one coin that only managed to get 19 miles before going missing.

19 miles?? We've come full circle back to Drat19.. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: