MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching.com iPhone Application
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to find a cache with it by using the map and comparing the cache location with various landmarks.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new update to the app recently allows for the listing (and downloading) of pocket queries directly to the application, which now makes this a complete replacement solution for a PDA since it'll now work without wireless network access. Huzzah for good updates! Cool
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
A new update to the app recently allows for the listing (and downloading) of pocket queries directly to the application, which now makes this a complete replacement solution for a PDA since it'll now work without wireless network access. Huzzah for good updates! Cool

Wow - I've been waiting for this, fantastic upgrade! I just uploaded 500 local caches, it looks like it will be limited only by system memory. Too cool. Cool
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also improved the map functionality. This is a really great app. I can log all my caches and they immediately end up as field notes on GC.com.

Can't wait to use the PQ feature when going on a caching run and being somewhere with bad or poor data reception.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new guy in our area posted some new caches and all he has is an I-phone for a gps. One was 100" off and another 30".
Hikes up the difficulty rating for sure Laughing
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
A new guy in our area posted some new caches and all he has is an I-phone for a gps. One was 100" off and another 30".

Very true, the GPS in it is terrible. I don't use it for caching unless I use the map mode with aerial maps. It would be fine for auto-routing, but not for caching. I haven't heard if the 3GS has an improved GPS or not.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

Very true, the GPS in it is terrible. I don't use it for caching unless I use the map mode with aerial maps. It would be fine for auto-routing, but not for caching. I haven't heard if the 3GS has an improved GPS or not.

I just hope we don't get a crop of I-phone hiders.

The Park Staff at William O'Brien say that quite a few people are caching with their phones. They usually end up coming back to the office because their phones lose signal in the valley.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I just hope we don't get a crop of I-phone hiders.

The Park Staff at William O'Brien say that quite a few people are caching with their phones. They usually end up coming back to the office because their phones lose signal in the valley.

This is probably a good thing - it's a good way to learn that you need a real GPS to cache rather than a phone.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:

Shocked Oh no.. I hope nobody else tries that.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash, crash, crash.
If you do update the app do it on the phone and not through Itunes so you will still have the old version when it crashes and you have to delete it. There are numerous postings on crashing and then the app will not run afterwards.
I just tried adding a waypoint and had to.
thread
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
Crash, crash, crash.
If you do update the app do it on the phone and not through Itunes so you will still have the old version when it crashes and you have to delete it. There are numerous postings on crashing and then the app will not run afterwards.
I just tried adding a waypoint and had to.
thread

*Knock on wood*, no crashes like those experienced in the gc forums or similar to yours. Like most apps, they crash periodically, this ones no different. I think the major issue for most apps is running out of memory, the 3g S should help with that since it doubles the ram available from 128 to 256. A great app for iTouch and iPhone users is "FreeMemory". It will free up to 20 megs, the max that apps are allowed to use. It works very good and usually if I have problems with apps, and I run that, the apps start running better.

Good Luck!
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the update to OS 3 and it hasnt crashed yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: