MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canoe-in caches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockinRod & Downybird
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Canoe-in caches Reply with quote

We've been thinking about placing some caches in southeast Mn. that would require the use of a canoe to visit. The trips would take 5-6 hours. Just wondering if anyone is interested in this type of an adventure.

Rod
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say as I've ever been canoe-caching, but I've been canoing, and I've been geocaching... If I ever get down in the area, I'd be game for that.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill and I would, with our new kayaks!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is accessible in a 16 foot sea kayak, I'm interested!
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im from the area and I would love it, although there are a few caches that are accessible only by water (or right next to a canoeable river) and they don't see a whole lot of traffic. So if you are looking for a busy cache, it might not be the best idea. But of you are looking for a fun day on the river for a few, go for it.

tomslusher
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing! I was going to set one up on the Cannon River. I will hold off, And DEFINATELY do yours when it comes out!!!

Shane
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice thing about a cache only accesible by watercraft is it's much less likely to be muggled. Think of the cool stuff you could put in a cache without fear of it being stolen.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
One nice thing about a cache only accesible by watercraft is it's much less likely to be muggled. Think of the cool stuff you could put in a cache without fear of it being stolen.

Consider a better hide/location and you shouldn't have to worry too much about the muggles.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Consider a better hide/location and you shouldn't have to worry too much about the muggles.

Like this I did today.

What river/Lake are you thinking about? If you put in at canon lake you could hit Sakatah State Trail, then my King Mill and continue on. a 3fer.
Shane.
Realtorfh
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Canoe Cache Reply with quote

In Oronoco(Olmsted County) there is a Canoe only cache. For the general public the only way to get to the cache is by canoe. The land adjacent to the cache is a private christian summer camp. I tried to get to the cache from thier side and they had a no tresspassing sign posted. the cache name is "Dam good view".
RockinRod & Downybird
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you on the edge of your seat waiting to be TFTF... We are just waiting for the water to subside a bit. We had a GREAT time, Twentyseven, up in the Sakatah area this week end. Very Happy We are shooting for sometime early /mid July foe our hide. The area we have planned is the Root somewhere between Chatfield MN & the Mississippi. There will be an opportunity to " rustic' camp as well for free on the river at designated sites. It would also be awesome to meet with a group & canoe sometime. Downybird
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoyed "Lakes of Rice County"!
There is this canoeing thread on the Mississippi that you might consider.

Shane
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost a lifelong Iowan (go Hawkeyes, boo Gophers) and I hosted a bunch of backpackers last weekend for a two-night canoe expedition on the Upper Iowa River.

Yeah, I did think of placing a cache.... but didn't.

The Root River? In my backyard. Laughing
AKjim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do place a 'canoe cache' be aware that these streams /rivers are prone to very high flood levels. I'd bet that your cache wouldn't last through any sort of flood, then you'd just be littering. We don't need that.

Keep them up high!
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was just reading back and saw I had typed that I hosted a two-night canoe trip on the Upper Iowa. Been there, done that... BUT my June trip in 2006 was on the ROOT RIVER. Put in at Parsley Bridge south of Chatfield for about a 2-hour paddle on Friday to the first DNR campsite. Then paddle maybe 12-15 miles Saturday to camp just upstream from Eagle Bluff at DNR campsites. Then a 3-ish hour paddle Sunday to the take-out below Lanesboro on Highway 16. Went very well. And we ate like Kings!!!

A canoe-only cache would be cool. Most of these campsites are only accessible by canoe.

Yes, they would need to be high and/or really connected to the location by a rope, chain, etc. The first two campsites on this stretch of the Root are maybe a quarter mile apart with a nice bluff between them. Yes, there would be appropriate locations. Twisted Evil hehehe

And hey rockinrobin and downybird, fun to meet you at the Dam Fine View!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: