MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cachers Wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Cachers Wanted Reply with quote

Looking for a pair of adult geocachers to accompany me on either part of a trip, or a full trip, to the boundary waters and the north shore. The goal is the do the two virtuals in the boundary waters area and the state parks along the shore.

The trip is planned for the last week of July. I plan to take 4 or 5 day segment in the 9 day window (two weekends and 5 week days). Canoe not required but would be helpful as my second boat is in bad shape. Second vehicle would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

The plan is this.. 1 day to get to the area. 1 full day of canoeing the BWCA, NO overnight in the wilderness. 2 to 3 days to enjoy a scenic drive to the Grand Portage area, visit all north shore parks. Return home. Lodging is planned to be either very cheap motel or cheap camping. I have the option of upgrading my lodging budget and will be flexible with possible riders.

I am looking for second group for the safety factor while in BWCA. You can join me for just BWCA segment or the entire trip. There will be two adults on my end and 25% chance of one 13 year old child. You are free to bring whatever the second boat can accomodate.

Looking for fuel contributions if one vehicle is driven. You pay for your own food and lodging. I've got a proposed, but very flexible and fluid route already in the works. That include canoeing and driving.

I think I have a pretty good reputation for hosting road trips. Well, except for the last one where I brought two very young kids Crying or Very sad but the little ones won't be coming this time. My eldest daughter, if any would join us, but the odds are small.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you canoe for two virtuals?

Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Why would you canoe for two virtuals?

Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

You tell me???? Wink
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing, but I don't think we'd be able to swing it. My husband and I are avid BWCA'rs but his schedule is so bonkers lately that he wouldn't be able to get off work.

Perhaps you could take a single along? I've got all sorts of camping gear and a canoe, which is heavy but sturdy. Might be a fun vacation since I can't go to Midwest Geobash.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
Intriguing, but I don't think we'd be able to swing it. My husband and I are avid BWCA'rs but his schedule is so bonkers lately that he wouldn't be able to get off work.

Perhaps you could take a single along? I've got all sorts of camping gear and a canoe, which is heavy but sturdy. Might be a fun vacation since I can't go to Midwest Geobash.

By all means a single is welcome. It's just tougher to balance a canoe (front to back) with a single rider.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with a third person you just duff the third in the middle of the canoe. I'm terrible at solo paddling, otherwise I'd suggest I bring along my mother's solo canoe, but duffing would work swimmingly.

That is, of course, if the 13 year old decides not to come. If they're a fair paddler I have no problem steering while they paddle away in the front.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
Well with a third person you just duff the third in the middle of the canoe. I'm terrible at solo paddling, otherwise I'd suggest I bring along my mother's solo canoe, but duffing would work swimmingly.

That is, of course, if the 13 year old decides not to come. If they're a fair paddler I have no problem steering while they paddle away in the front.

She'd do fine if she tried. Getting her to put the paddle in the water is a different issue. My best case scenario is to have her as a rider..

on the other hand, the paddle really shouldn't be that long in theory. The one virtual is probably 3 to 4 miles tops round trip. The other is 2 to 3 miles tops. As the trip gets closer and if I get form commitments I'll put more effort into the routing.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahh, I can't go now. Turns out there's a wedding I have to go to and can't miss it. Humbug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: