MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Safari Cache Page Updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: State Park Safari Cache Page Updates Reply with quote

I'm working this year directly with the DNR to update the cache pages. As I've pointed out in a different post, I'm looking for people that have knowledge of the caches in order to improve the cache pages.

I'd like to extend it one step further. As you go out and search for caches this summer, please keep this project in mind. Take some notes. Take some pictures. Send them along when you return home.

What we are able to add to the pages will improve the pages not only for ourselves, but for those that are just beginning in caching. These cache pages could easily be a prime example of what a 'good' cache page could look like.

I've created a form that everyone can use to submit information in a way that I can hopefully keep it organized as it's added to the cache pages.

Please keep in mind that any pictures you have that you submit to the cache pages will be uploaded under the DNR's profile. I can give you credit in the text for the picture, but you'll loose any publication rights to the photos (for those that may be concerned about this).

Thanks in advance for helping out!

Last edited by Pear Head on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parks not in bold have adequate descriptions in place. Additional materials or updates are always welcome however. Parks in bold are still the cookie-cutter pages and require YOUR help.

Afton (metro)
Fort Snelling (metro)
Interstate (metro)
Lake Maria (metro)
Minnesota Valley Rec. Area (metro)
Wild River (metro)
William O'Brien (metro)

Banning (NE)
Bear Head Lake (NE)
Cascade River (NE)
Cuyuna Country Rec. Area (NE)
Father Hennepin (NE)
Franz Jevne (NE)
George H. Crosby Manitou (NE)
Gooseberry Falls (NE)
Grand Portage (NE)
Hill Annex Mine (NE)
Jay Cooke (NE)
Judge C.R. Magney (NE)
McCarthy Beach (NE)
Moose Lake (NE)
St. Croix (NE)
Savanna Portage (NE)
Scenic (NE)
Schoolcraft (NE)
Soudan Underground Mine (NE)
Split Rock Lighthouse (NE)
Temperance River (NE)
Tettegouche (NE)

Big Bog SRA (NW)
Buffalo River (NW)
Charles A. Lindbergh (NW)
Crow Wing (NW)
Garden Island SRA (NW)
Glacial Lakes (NW)
Glendalough (NW)
Hayes Lake (NW)
Itasca (NW)
Lake Bemidji (NW)
Lake Bronson (NW)
Lake Carlos (NW)
Maplewood (NW)
Mille Lacs Kathio (NW)
Old Mill (NW)
Red River SRA (NW)
Zippel Bay (NW)

Beaver Creek Valley (S)
Big Stone Lake (S)
Blue Mounds (S)
Camden (S)
Carley (S)
Flandrau (S)
Forestville/Mystery Cave (S)
Fort Ridgely (S)
Frontenac (S)
Great River Bluffs (S)
John A. Latsch (S)
Kilen Woods (S)
Lac qui Parle (S)
Lake Louise (S)
Lake Shetek (S)
Minneopa (S)
Monson Lake (S)
Myre - Big Island (S)
Nerstrand Big Woods (S)
Rice Lake (S)
Sakatah Lake (S)
Sibley (S)
Split Rock Creek (S)
Upper Sioux Agency (S)
Whitewater (S)

Last edited by Pear Head on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:39 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked about attributes. If you have additional attributes to add to the pages please feel free to let me know about it! Use the form in the original post at the top of this page.

I'm adding the information submitted to me as I have time - sometimes I am able to do it right away, sometimes it may take me some time. I will email you with the address you give me when I review your information.

Thanks everyone - we have a few additions already and they're great!
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help with the Minnesota Valley Rec. Area
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Kilen Woods again.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Really my intention (and I should have spelled it out better/different I think) was to have the finders of the caches assist as well.

As you find the various state park caches, fill out the form and send it in. You don't need to have ALL the information to make a cache page complete, but if you can add a tidbit here or there for some parks, then those tidbits from everyone can get assembled into an informative page.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one bit of information. If they leave LQPSP where it currently is all year round it is definately in the flood plain. This would not be available probably from mid to late march through at least the middle of April in most years.

Did they ever get the updated waypoint for the first stage changed at Upper sioux? There is a bright neon colored sign right by the kiosk that tells about the change but as far as I am aware the webpage hasn't been changed yet. Before you ask no I didn't save the the waypoint. The first waypoint is right b the kiosk as you enter the park. .....I wonder if they got a replacement ammo can yet?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly shocked at the lack of response to this.

All I need is people that have gone out and found some of these caches (and remember your experience) to clue me in on some of the information that you would put on the cache page if it were your page. I've received very few responses since the end of April.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably isn't much any of us can do, but I was at a couple of the "demo" parks this weekend and to me the newbies are really messing with the whole program. I understand some of the thing with newbies. I was at camden, (and without giving to much away) the containers for the stages were ALL open. I mentioned this to the staff, but we'll see.

And I got to Lake shetek and someone had put an additional waypoint in the last stage to try and throw newbies off. I removed it and gave it to the park staff.

At Split rock creek, I think the final cache should be moved as it is easily within sight of the nearby walking area over the dam. I worry about muggles at this cache. Luckily when I was there there wasn't anyone out over the dam.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
This probably isn't much any of us can do, but I was at a couple of the "demo" parks this weekend and to me the newbies are really messing with the whole program. I understand some of the thing with newbies. I was at camden, (and without giving to much away) the containers for the stages were ALL open. I mentioned this to the staff, but we'll see.

And I got to Lake shetek and someone had put an additional waypoint in the last stage to try and throw newbies off. I removed it and gave it to the park staff.

At Split rock creek, I think the final cache should be moved as it is easily within sight of the nearby walking area over the dam. I worry about muggles at this cache. Luckily when I was there there wasn't anyone out over the dam.

I think what Pearhead is looking for in this thread is, geocachers to help him fill out the State Park cache pages so that they are more specific and interesting.
Loneeagle_24 I see that you have hit quite a few parks now. Is there a chance you could fill out some descriptions for some of them. I stopped at Fort Snelling earlier this week and sent a description to Pearhead and it is now on the website.

I just wrote a little about the cache its self then cut and pasted the general info about the park. Took 5 minutes (thank god for cut and paste)
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten pretty much Everything on the western end of the state from top to bottom. I will have to think on this and see if I can come up with anything to update the cache pages. I have to say though that the ones up in the Northwest corner of the state are much better than the ones in the SW corner of the state. Of course this is just my opinion. They give me a few new ideas myself, me thinks. Yah, Sure, You bettcha!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I want to help, I am not sure what I can provide. I am 1/3 done and with the exception of Banning, so far I've found all of the caches to be "physically" easier this year. I don't know what I can contribute unless you want information on Milk Snakes or fish, reptiles and small mammals of MN.

I am keeping my own database recording all of the stages of the caches. If anyone wants to contribute, let me know. Laughing
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you can use pictures. I sent an update for Tettegouche. The picture really sells that cache.

I'll try and do more as I go along. Frankly, some of these are better off with the standard page.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those that submitted some updates over this past weekend - I received updates on a number of parks from four different individuals

bflentje wrote:
As much as I want to help, I am not sure what I can provide. I am 1/3 done and with the exception of Banning, so far I've found all of the caches to be "physically" easier this year. I don't know what I can contribute unless you want information on Milk Snakes or fish, reptiles and small mammals of MN.

Anything is useful. You don't need to give me all of the information required for a page - even if you can just provide a piece of the page.

For example, one person provided the cache attributes for a number of different caches, as well as what are caches are in the park. Another provided the fact that the distance between the stages was significant and that users should plan on biking/driving. Another gave some information on the history/wildlife in one of the parks.

All the little pieces will, over time, add up to a significant amount.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at Monson lake on Saturday and in the current state (where the stages are placed) this one won't be very winter freindly with any snowfall on the ground. For that matter Sibley will be the same way, not very winter/snow freindly.

Oh! One more thing. I got my first bonus critter card on Saturday as well at Sibley. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: