MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer Resources
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Volunteer Resources Reply with quote

This thread is to outline the various resources that are available to volunteers.

It would be nice to at least outline who has what resources that they can share with others. Things like PowerPoint presentations, flyers (or documents that can be printed out as flyers), etc.

If you have resources that others can use, please share!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two presentations, one titled Garmin 101 and one titled Geocaching 101. Both are available in Google Documents.

Geocaching 101:

http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dhh8qrz7_1133nh6zgp

Garmin 101:

http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dhh8qrz7_1ggnqgw

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic came up in a discussion I had today and I just wanted to remind folks that this thread is here.

If you have a presentation, flyer, etc, and you're willing to share, please post something here. If you need help hosting a file then please contact me directly.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a document that we put together with information from the geocaching website that we have available at the geocaching 101 classes that we give at camden state park each month. we hand them out to anyone who wants to have a copy to read thru. it is a 21 page word document and would be glad to share it with anyone who wants a copy of it. now just how do we get it to show here so others can get it
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be helping with a Women in the Outdoors event this September in Hutchinson. We are looking for some GPSrs to use during the intro to geocaching portion of the event. Does anyone have any ideas where we can rent 10-20 units?
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
I am going to be helping with a Women in the Outdoors event this September in Hutchinson. We are looking for some GPSrs to use during the intro to geocaching portion of the event. Does anyone have any ideas where we can rent 10-20 units?

We have borrowed GPSr units from 4H and the State Parks for events.

Does anyone want to start a pool of donations for some Yellows?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

I plan on formally asking next year's board to apply for a grant to purchase GPS units. We were told about some public funding at the state level a few years ago that we may be able to apply for (perhaps one of the board members could look that up in the forum for me).

We were actually approached by an organization that wanted to help us with the application IIRC but then the contact fell through.

The board 3 years ago went through a lot of the research to figure things out but since then I believe it's fallen to the wayside (which is understandable). With more demand now it would be nice to pick it back up.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

I plan on formally asking next year's board to apply for a grant to purchase GPS units. We were told about some public funding at the state level a few years ago that we may be able to apply for (perhaps one of the board members could look that up in the forum for me).

We were actually approached by an organization that wanted to help us with the application IIRC but then the contact fell through.

The board 3 years ago went through a lot of the research to figure things out but since then I believe it's fallen to the wayside (which is understandable). With more demand now it would be nice to pick it back up.

I agree and would be willing to help anyway possible!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

We're currently discussing this, the current board wants to but needs to make sure the financial hurdle can be safely approached. I haven't heard of the outside funding route before though. Andrewmcc has already formally asked the board to look into this.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it!

I'm not sure how you're looking at paying for it but I would ask that the membership have some comment time before spending large sums.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Glad to hear it!

I'm not sure how you're looking at paying for it but I would ask that the membership have some comment time before spending large sums.

Fair point. I agree the membership should be allowed to provide input. We had just started the internal discussion. The main sticking point was cost v benefit.

I will add this as a general topic of discussion for the fall event. We would love to hear feedback from the membership on this.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Do you recall who you talked to for the State Parks? My contact in the Women in the Outdoors group said she contacted them and they told her they only have them for use in their 'demo' parks, not for use outside the park.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Do you recall who you talked to for the State Parks? My contact in the Women in the Outdoors group said she contacted them and they told her they only have them for use in their 'demo' parks, not for use outside the park.

We dealt with Saint Paul (in fact the person to request them was an employee from Saint Paul that was on the committee). I know that the event was a DNR / County Park event and I had to drive to pick up the units and bring them back the same day.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a new topic here in Volunteer Resources just for GPS units so that we are able to locate them if we need them.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Geocaching Merit Badge Presentation Reply with quote

Hey all you Merit Badge Counselors and other interested in teaching Geocaching! I have put together a presentation to help with teaching an upcoming Geocaching MB class and thought I would put it out here for all to use.

Here is the link:
http://mngca.org/node/747

Feedback is always welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: