MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geomate Jr
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

I'm not gonna get all worked up about the 250000 waypoints like on the nat'l forums. Groundspeak is entitled to do what ever they want with their data.

Their data points to our caches, though. As you can see from the national forum, I'm not particularily thrilled by the prospect of a bunch of potentially unsupervised kiddies running around finding my caches.

Only time will tell if it is really a problem or if I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, I guess. The horse is out of the barn.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:

Their data points to our caches, though. As you can see from the national forum, I'm not particularily thrilled by the prospect of a bunch of potentially unsupervised kiddies running around finding my caches.

Only time will tell if it is really a problem or if I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, I guess. The horse is out of the barn.

That's true that it could happen, but I'm not concerned. I don't think parents will get these and say, "Here Jr, go out and find stuff." and let them alone. I think this will be a companion GPS while the parents are with them. So, to me, it's not any different than it is today. The same issues exist today. I'd like it for my kids if I could enter waypoints for them. I'm waiting to see what the update package is going to allow the end user to do.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

I'm not gonna get all worked up about the 250000 waypoints like on the nat'l forums. Groundspeak is entitled to do what ever they want with their data.

One option, cache owners all disable their caches and move them 200 feet away. If they are not going to update the caches on the GPS, then they would have none in Minnesota.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
knowschad wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

One option, cache owners all disable their caches and move them 200 feet away. If they are not going to update the caches on the GPS, then they would have none in Minnesota.

After speaking with the company and the creator of this GPS, I think that this is going a bit far. The purpose of this gps is two fold, 1) to allow families to get a cheap GPS for the kids to use I don't think anyone has a problem with that, and 2) to offer a low barrier to entry to people who might be interested in Geocaching, and don't want to make a huge investment. This is another thing that we as an association want, to get more caches...their aims and ours seem pretty much inline. This GPS doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles, it doesn't have maps..I don't think you can add waypoints to it (no multis) it is designed to go after traditionals only, and get people interested in the sport.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
knowschad wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

After speaking with the company and the creator of this GPS, I think that this is going a bit far. The purpose of this gps is two fold, 1) to allow families to get a cheap GPS for the kids to use I don't think anyone has a problem with that, and 2) to offer a low barrier to entry to people who might be interested in Geocaching, and don't want to make a huge investment. This is another thing that we as an association want, to get more caches...their aims and ours seem pretty much inline. This GPS doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles, it doesn't have maps..I don't think you can add waypoints to it (no multis) it is designed to go after traditionals only, and get people interested in the sport.

Are they still going to have to agree to the same terms and conditions as the website?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the Project Manager, he said that at this time it is not required that users of the GeoMate be GC.com users, however he does feel that that it is important that everyone playing the game be bound by the same terms and rules. So take that for what it's worth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Check out the rest of the interview when I publish it this Sunday/Monday at http://www.tcgcpc.com

I'm getting "More at ten" vibes from this comment. Awesome marketing. Smile
In all seriousness, I think it's pretty cool that you got an interview with the guys behind this device and plan to tune in.

-Jonas
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I asked the Project Manager, he said that at this time it is not required that users of the GeoMate be GC.com users, however he does feel that that it is important that everyone playing the game be bound by the same terms and rules. So take that for what it's worth

Taking it for what its worth, but...

So, they won't neccessarily have any knowledge of the ethics of caching?
They won't neccessarily have read the geocaching.com disclaimer?

They won't neccessarily be logging their finds, nor tracking the geocoins or travel bugs they grab? In fact, they may not even have any idea that those are not trade items?

How are they going to know what those "same terms and rules" are if they don't neccessarily have to be GC.com users?

They won't neccessarily know that it says on the cache page that "there is no need to go onto private property to get this cache!" and other such warnings?

They won't neccessarily know that I just temporarily disabled my cache because foot traffic at this time of the year will disturb a rare and delicate plant, or because a bald eagle is nesting in the tree overhead?

You get my drift...
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

I hope your podcast site can handle the traffic... I just linked to it from the National Forums. There is a lot of interest in it.
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that the mfg. would have something pointing people to gc.com in their info with the unit in the box. If not that, at least some 'general rules' to follow that mirror the gc.com ethics rules and such. That would be the best compromise I think.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some further feedback from the project manager he says:

Quote:
FYI, we are currently working away to create some more ethics and geocaching guides that we can use as educational material on the web site.

Along with trying to promote activities like CITO etc.

CNET review of the Geomate.jr: http://tinyurl.com/olba2c
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I got some further feedback from the project manager he says:

Quote:
FYI, we are currently working away to create some more ethics and geocaching guides that we can use as educational material on the web site.

Along with trying to promote activities like CITO etc.

CNET review of the Geomate.jr: http://tinyurl.com/olba2c

Heck, throw in a small brochure with the unit when you sell it would be better than nothing...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
sir_zman wrote:
Check out the rest of the interview when I publish it this Sunday/Monday at http://www.tcgcpc.com

I'm getting "More at ten" vibes from this comment. Awesome marketing. Smile
In all seriousness, I think it's pretty cool that you got an interview with the guys behind this device and plan to tune in.

-Jonas

I have published the episode. Enjoy.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of my caches is in the list for the geomate Jr.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=077af90b-7c85-48a5-95ed-99d8bc98db2c

Sorry about not linking this like normal, but don't know how to do that. I just hope all the TB's don't dissapear in this cache now.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread was started, has anyone had any experience with the GeoMate Jr? I am looking for a unit for my elderly parents and it needs to be e-a-s-y for them to use. They aren't very tech savy although they do have a computer and do email but that's about it. I would of course add the update feature which allows you to enter additional coordinates. I hear stories that dad was trying to turn the tv on one day with his cordless phone. Any suggestions or advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: