MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announces Oregon 500 specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'll be interviewing a rep from Garmin, talking about the 500 series, does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask?

Ask him I can have a free sample please Very Happy
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'll be interviewing a rep from Garmin, talking about the 500 series, does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask?

Ask him what type what type of technology is used for the touch screen, both for the touch aspect (i.e. is it say capacitive?) and for the lcd aspect (is it transflective?). I'd like to know what trade-offs went into the decisions for those choices on the 400 line too.

I'm also curious why they are still at beta level for the software on the 400 line. It's impressive that they've added a lot of features and corrections with all the recent beta releases, but it makes it seem like it was released as an unfinished product. Or am I off on this?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

Is it going to have the ability to "delete" (or, mark as deleted) waypoints? It has always seemed to me that if I can mark a cache found, or mark it as not found, that I should also be able to mark it as deleted.

(I haven't been keeping on top of the Oregon 400 updates, so ignore me if that is now possible)
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

Not overly important question, but I've always been curious how much of Garmins revenue is generated from geocaching or geocachers.

Do they have any idea of what percentage of their business can be directly correlated to geocaching?

-Jonas
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
sir_zman wrote:

Not overly important question, but I've always been curious how much of Garmins revenue is generated from geocaching or geocachers.

Do they have any idea of what percentage of their business can be directly correlated to geocaching?

-Jonas

I am willing to bet that we might make up half of their profit. Since I have started geocaching I have purchased three Garmin GPSr's. I purchased a 60 (which I just sold to purchase the 550t when it comes out), an Oregon 400t (which will be my spare GPSr when the 550t comes out) and then I have a Nuvi 765t (which I purchased just to venture out farther for geocaching). How many GPSr's does the normal person purchase?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
How many GPSr's does the normal person purchase?

I don't think cachers are "normal". Wink

BTW, I have 4, looking at getting a 5th.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
How many GPSr's does the normal person purchase?

I don't think cachers are "normal". Wink

BTW, I have 4, looking at getting a 5th.

I have to agree, I do not think that cachers are normal. Very Happy

What are you looking at getting for your next GPS? I am looking at purchasing four yellows so that for different educational events I can feel better about handing them a GPS. I would them on ebay for about $40 versus the $150 that I seen at Fleet Farm.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Jonas wrote:
sir_zman wrote:

-Jonas

I am willing to bet that we might make up half of their profit. Since I have started geocaching I have purchased three Garmin GPSr's. I purchased a 60 (which I just sold to purchase the 550t when it comes out), an Oregon 400t (which will be my spare GPSr when the 550t comes out) and then I have a Nuvi 765t (which I purchased just to venture out farther for geocaching). How many GPSr's does the normal person purchase?

I'd be highly surprised if we make 10% of their total profit.

Garmin is deep into a lot of different areas of GPS technology - aviation (with units costing literally thousands of dollars), auto navigation (is there really $500 worth of more electronics between their high end unit and entry level unit?), not to mention I think I've seen their name on a few fish finders here and there.

We may rank high in their total number of units sold, but I think we're probably not nearly as high when you start talking profit.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'd be highly surprised if we make 10% of their total profit.

Garmin is deep into a lot of different areas of GPS technology - aviation (with units costing literally thousands of dollars), auto navigation (is there really $500 worth of more electronics between their high end unit and entry level unit?), not to mention I think I've seen their name on a few fish finders here and there.

We may rank high in their total number of units sold, but I think we're probably not nearly as high when you start talking profit.

I would have to agree with the aircraft technology. I have flown with Garmin aircraft GPSr's but then at the same time, I think that most people would not be purchasing as many GPSr's as geocachers and then also we are the ones that are purchasing the more expensive ones.

I look at my relatives GPS devices (a Nuvi and a Tom Tom) and they only purchased them for the lower cost. I have done my research with a network of gps users (called geocachers) and have decided to purchase a more expensive Nuvi than what my relatives recommended. In fact, I had another GPS that was used for in the car and have only purchased the other three Garmins after I started geocaching for geocaching.

I think that it would be interesting to find out from Garmin what percent we do make up, but then at the same time they would not be able to know. How would they know that I am a geocacher? How would it show that I own three Garmins if I did not register them?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I think that it would be interesting to find out from Garmin what percent we do make up, but then at the same time they would not be able to know. How would they know that I am a geocacher? How would it show that I own three Garmins if I did not register them?

The only way I think you can probably break it down is by product line (auto, trail, aviation, etc). You'd then need to make an educated guess as to how many of those are geocachers.

It's tough as I know in some areas people are using Nuvi's to cache. Personally I couldn't recommend against it enough, but for people with limited funds (which is most of us) and looking to purchase a do-all GPS, Nuvi's apparently look quite appealing.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

The only way I think you can probably break it down is by product line (auto, trail, aviation, etc). You'd then need to make an educated guess as to how many of those are geocachers.

It's tough as I know in some areas people are using Nuvi's to cache. Personally I couldn't recommend against it enough, but for people with limited funds (which is most of us) and looking to purchase a do-all GPS, Nuvi's apparently look quite appealing.

I use mine for getting to a location and long trips just getting to the cache location that I want to be then I will pull out my real GPS. My Nuvi does not leave my car (other than security reasons).
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Exactly ... Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I use mine for getting to a location and long trips just getting to the cache location that I want to be then I will pull out my real GPS. My Nuvi does not leave my car (other than security reasons).

The Nuvi get us within walking/paddling/biking distance. (50' or a few miles depending on cache.) They are also great for visualizing how the caches are grouped in a given terrain, so as to better optimize a cache run. (The tablet w/Delorme also works for the same purpose, if on a run with a computer savvy navigator; it is cumbersome to use, though capable of more detail on the larger computer screen.)

Once out of the truck/car the Colorado & HCx are utilized to find GZ. The Edge 705 moves from bike to bike.

4 GPSrs here & I just preordered the Oregon 550t. (Garmin: Nuvi 550, Colorado 400t, Edge 705 & a Delorme LT-20 for the Motion tablet PC) Oh yeah, I gave my lady a Nuvi 550 for Christmas & she already had an eTrex Vista HCx.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon 550t ultimate package through offroute.com.

Quote:
We've bundled the new Oregon 550 along with City Navigator NT North America DVD, TOPO U.S. 100k DVD, a 4 GB memory card, a Hard Neoprene Carrying Case and the Auto Navigation Kit.
Was $802.91 Now $669.95

Pretty steep. Still, I'm very curious to see what the display of a 550 looks like right in front of me.
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm.. so enticing...But at the same time, I really don't need anothewr unit.. I like my Vista HCx just fine!
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Is it snowing? Is the chimney swept? Are the stocking hung? Reply with quote

It is a bit like waiting for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve ... My new Oregon 550t is supposed to be delivered Thursday!
Very Happy (Tomorrow) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: