MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announces Oregon 500 specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't call him "OregonBrad" for nothing!!!
Wink Laughing Wink
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
We don't call him "OregonBrad" for nothing!!!
Wink Laughing Wink

Yeah, I know. This is the problem... he knows everything from Garmin before anyone else does... I think that he has an insider... not fair Brad!

I think that I will be there standing in line though... (I wonder if I sound too much like a geek there?)
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
Does anyone know when this is coming out? I did not see a release date. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one.

I thought I saw mid/late July...not sure where I saw it though...

Father's Day present???
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, the screen on the VistaCx that I have is the best screen. I have a Colorado 400T and like lots about it too. I think that if they took a Palm Pilot, a Colorado 400t and a VistaCx and threw them into a blender and took the best of each and made a unit out of it you would have the perfect GPS unit. I think this is it from what I can see. Add to it a camera as sort of a cherry on top and I think it will be a winner.

I am gonna have to see what I can do about getting in on this one.

As a side note, did anybody use the Oregon much during the winter? How did the screen do? I know that mittens would make a touch screen a bear to use and understand that but................

RonGerth
Hermantown, MN
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:

As a side note, did anybody use the Oregon much during the winter? How did the screen do? I know that mittens would make a touch screen a bear to use and understand that but................

RonGerth
Hermantown, MN

Seemed to work just fine for me...it really was no different than trying to push the small buttons on my 60CSX...used Brad's (yep...OregonBrad) suggestion and just used the end of my pen to push the buttons (the "dull" side of course Wink )

@Jam3s...you may be standing in line...but I bet Brad get's one flown in to him from headquarters Wink Laughing Wink
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ArcherDragoon"]
RonGerth wrote:

RonGerth
Hermantown, MN

Seemed to work just fine for me...it really was no different than trying to push the small buttons on my 60CSX...used Brad's (yep...OregonBrad) suggestion and just used the end of my pen to push the buttons (the "dull" side of course Wink )

@Jam3s...you may be standing in line...but I bet Brad get's one flown in to him from headquarters Wink Laughing Wink[/quote

That would be my luck. I know that I love my Oregon 400t, but I have to have the newest toy!
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I know that I love my Oregon 400t, but I have to have the newest toy!

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a few "FS: Oregon 400t" threads in the Buy/Sale thread soon. Smile
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

Yeah, I know. This is the problem... he knows everything from Garmin before anyone else does... I think that he has an insider... not fair Brad!

The funny thing is I actually have a connection at Garmin, I just never ask what's coming down the pike.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

The funny thing is I actually have a connection at Garmin, I just never ask what's coming down the pike.

So you can get us all a discount? AWESOME!
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

So you can get us all a discount? AWESOME!

I can't remember what his discount is, but I remember that the BB coupon last year beat it, and I'm guessing when he buys 35 Oregon 550's they're going to wonder what's up. I do remember that he doesn't get a software discount though, which was a bummer, but I ended up getting 20% off City Nav. at REI when I bought it as I had one of their coupons for members that apparently is good for software, just not GPS units themselves.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I can't remember what his discount is, but I remember that the BB coupon last year beat it, and I'm guessing when he buys 35 Oregon 550's they're going to wonder what's up.

Buying lots of birthday presents? He forgot my birthday last month! I feel bad, he better get a 500t lol
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be the economic stimulus package that has people running out for this one.
I still love my "old" 60csx.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Seriously though, the screen on the VistaCx that I have is the best screen.

I agree. I liked the 400t a lot, but in the end I went back to the Vista HCx. My dislikes on the 400t were screen, battery life (related to screen issue), and cumbersome menu traversal (in comparison the the HCx).

That said, I liked the 400t a little bit more than the HCx, but I knew it wasn't be be-all gps. If the 500 has a nice screen that remains readable without a backlight, I'll probably buy one.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interviewing a rep from Garmin, talking about the 500 series, does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'll be interviewing a rep from Garmin, talking about the 500 series, does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask?

I would like to pose the previous question as to why we are not able to load more geocaches on the 400t but the 500 series is able to load 5000?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: