MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Explore Your Parks Day Seminars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Explore Your Parks Day Seminars Reply with quote

Code:
My name is Adam G and I am the event planner for Washington County
Parks.  We have a free event coming up on June 6th that we call Explore
Your Parks Day.  We are looking at providing people with activities that
can be done at the park and GEOCACHING is one that we want people to know
more about.  WE are looking for a group of people to help with that.

Our goal is to get people involved with Geocaching.  We were initial thinking we would set up a few caches some maybe with a few park passes or some sort of prize in them. 

I am sure many people will not know about the sport or how to work a GPS.  One major tool that we do not have are GPS units for people to use.

Here's a few details about the day it is held at Lake Elmo Park Reserve on June 6th, it is completely free (not even a vehicle permit is needed), from noon to 2 pm.  I would expect around 300-500 people out there depending on the weather.

Adam G
Washington County Parks
Natural Resource and Programming Coordinator

Is there anyone out that that would be willing to help with this? I will be coordinating most of this with Adam and I'm planning on being there myself. This is not a 2 hour seminar, we will just be at our "booth" answering any questions and helping some new folks understand geocaching. We will be placing some temps and allow them to go after them under supervision. I have 2 gps units and would really like to have more for the event. If you can help, please let me know. Washington Co has been great dealing with and they are pro-geocaching.

Thanks for your consideration.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be intrested in helping, just need to find out when my sons graduation is first.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP. I'm still looking for some help with this. If anyone would be willing to help out that would be greatly appreciated.

X51hz, have you gotten confirmation?

Thanks!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP. Can anyone help with the setup or the temps or any other help will be greatly appreciated. Nothing is too small. Wink

Thanks!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
BUMP. Can anyone help with the setup or the temps or any other help will be greatly appreciated. Nothing is too small. Wink

Thanks!

Sorry, Speedy, I would but Kathio recruited me for an outdoor event day.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the delay on getting back about this.

My sons graduation is that monday the 8th and we are plannig some stuff over the weekend.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone volunteered for this? Does anyone have a display setup that they have used previously at another event like this?

I might be willing to help if a couple others are willing as well. I only have one GPS now though.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Has anyone volunteered for this? Does anyone have a display setup that they have used previously at another event like this?

I might be willing to help if a couple others are willing as well. I only have one GPS now though.

I'll take anything I can get. As for what's been setup. Not much yet as I've been pretty busy with work lately, but this is just an informal session with people as they come through the park.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

I'll take anything I can get. As for what's been setup. Not much yet as I've been pretty busy with work lately, but this is just an informal session with people as they come through the park.

I know. Sir_ZMan had a nice setup that he had sitting on a table that we had in Oakdale. It was a sheet-protected binder that just had various pages explaining caching, had the caches in the park, and various other things that was very helpful.

I can print out some geocaching explanation sheets from GC.com. I might be able to bring someone with. I am not sure if they will have a GPS or not. I will see if I can find someone around here to carpool with.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be printing some things from geocaching university. They seem to have the best information that I've found.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help...I'm checking now.

Speedy, I sent you something else,but after reading Jam3s comment, I know what you were looking for now. My 3 ring binder had several photos in it I have taken in the field, it had an article about the State Safari Challenge from a local paper...it also had a screen shot of the main page of Geocaching.com. I want to add more to it as I collect more info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP. This is coming up this weekend. Just curious if anyone is planning on visiting the park?

I have a nano, micro (bison tube style), film can, small lock 'n lock and ammo box. Any other types of containers that would be good to show newbies? If you where showing a newbie, what would you want them to know?

Thanks for the feedback.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
BUMP. This is coming up this weekend. Just curious if anyone is planning on visiting the park?

I have a nano, micro (bison tube style), film can, small lock 'n lock and ammo box. Any other types of containers that would be good to show newbies? If you where showing a newbie, what would you want them to know?

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget an altoid tin, peanut butter jar and trash can! Smile
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget an altoid tin, peanut butter jar and trash can! Smile

Bloody Chainsaw, Coffin Laughing
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Bloody Chainsaw, Coffin Laughing

Bart? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: