MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Just a short note on some of the updates on the Safari Cache program. This is still a work in progress but we have nailed down some details.

1. May 2nd is the kick off the program will run for 3 years

2. The caches will each have a Critter Card in it to keep. The Critter will be an animal native to the park it is found in.

3. There will be 5 extra award levels 10, 20, 40, 60, and all parks. There will be another card for free and you would be eligible to purchase non trackable geocoins at just over cost (under $2.00) . We tried to keep the cost down so they could be purchased for the whole family.

4. At this point the MnGCA logo is going to be on all the Critter Cards.

5. We are adding at least 4 demo parks.

6. Garden Island is still up in the air, but cachers that have already been there maybe be exempt from going out there and can pick up an alternate cache at Zipple Bay.

We have not been able to get a sponsor for the program this year so we are trying to do the program on a shoestring.

I am looking to get our website linked to the Safari cache web site.

We meet every 2 weeks and nail down more details and I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the update, Andy. We are very excited to do this challenge again.

We are also happy that the time frame is longer. It will be great to do the parks at a slower pace and spend some time in each of them.
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article about the Geocaching Safari on the front page of an insert called Minnesota Explorer in today's Star Tribune.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like anyone who has actually seen the cache placement for the park you're helping on the Safari program contact me please:

http://mngca.org/user/183/contact

I'll be working with the DNR this year to 'dress up' the cache pages and, as such, will be drawing from the MnGCA users' experiences to help me do so.

I'm starting by working on the cache pages for those that have actually seen the cache placement. I'd like some details to put on the cache page - details like what you would put on your own cache page if it were yours. Things like appropriate parking, trail access, information about the park, photos, etc, etc, etc.

Hopefully before the program launches I'll set up a system to have those of you that find the caches provide me more of that information, especially for the parks that I don't have any data on (which I'm guessing will be most of them).

Please keep this in mind as you hunt for the caches if you would, especially early on in the program. We have the opportunity here to make the cache pages more than just the 'cookie cutter' pages that they were last year (which is basically what they are right now).

Thanks!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm starting by working on the cache pages for those that have actually seen the cache placement. I'd like some details to put on the cache page - details like what you would put on your own cache page if it were yours. Things like appropriate parking, trail access, information about the park, photos, etc, etc, etc.

Feel free as well to copy/paste some of it from the DNR's website as well.

Also, I believe providing information on other caches in the park would prove to be beneficial as well.

This is still a learning process for all involved, so things are still fluid.

I do know that the MnGCA icon will appear on the bottom of the cache pages.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'd like anyone who has actually seen the cache placement for the park you're helping on the Safari program contact me please:

http://mngca.org/user/183/contact

I'll be working with the DNR this year to 'dress up' the cache pages and, as such, will be drawing from the MnGCA users' experiences to help me do so.

Hopefully before the program launches I'll set up a system to have those of you that find the caches provide me more of that information, especially for the parks that I don't have any data on (which I'm guessing will be most of them).

Please keep this in mind as you hunt for the caches if you would, especially early on in the program. We have the opportunity here to make the cache pages more than just the 'cookie cutter' pages that they were last year (which is basically what they are right now).

Thanks!

If you signed up to help with a State Park this would be a good opportunity to help out.
minnesotafox
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: new park cache list Reply with quote

Will anyone be doing a public bookmark list of the state caches in the morning? Very Happy
minnesotafox
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: bookmark list Reply with quote

I actually did a public list, I hope that it's right, I've only done this once before. Let me know if it needs anything. Only 70 caches were shown on my search, I know that Garden Island isn't available yet. What is the 72nd park?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to go to the DNR's profile and look at all of the caches hidden (if you didn't already)
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice compilation you other cachers to use.
It looks like the other park you are missing besides Garden Island is
Moose lake.
minnesotafox
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My search didn't show Moose Lake because Wildlife is misspelled in the cache listing. I have added it to my bookmark, thanks.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Bookmark. I've made use of it already.

BTW, I thought Charles H. Lindbergh State Park was missing from the list. Maybe I missed it?

KF
Ramsey63
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed visiting 3 State Parks yesterday - was able to be FTF on all three. I did have some interesting things happen at each park. First at Ft. Ridgey, I went back to talk to the Ranger about one of the stages. He came out with me and agreed with my concern and he moved the it to a new location (same coords). Then after I found the final, we both agreed that that was a not a good hide. So the final was moved. As a result do not use the hint for the final location as it will now misslead you. (same coords but actually about 20 fet SE GZ). My next park was Flandrau. All the coords were dead on. I did have a disagreement with one of the answers to a question in one of the stages. I checked it out with sources on the Internet and found out that 2 of the 3 answers could be correct. The Ranger said he would check it out. The last park was Minneopa. This was the most problem as the coords given for the final was 0.51 miles off. The west coord was correct but the north coord was in error. I went back to the Rangers office and he gave me the UTM coords which were dead on. He said he would fix the problem today (Sunday)
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsey63 wrote:
I enjoyed visiting 3 State Parks yesterday - was able to be FTF on all three. I did have some interesting things happen at each park. First at Ft. Ridgey, I went back to talk to the Ranger about one of the stages. He came out with me and agreed with my concern and he moved the it to a new location (same coords). Then after I found the final, we both agreed that that was a not a good hide. So the final was moved. As a result do not use the hint for the final location as it will now misslead you. (same coords but actually about 20 fet SE GZ). My next park was Flandrau. All the coords were dead on. I did have a disagreement with one of the answers to a question in one of the stages. I checked it out with sources on the Internet and found out that 2 of the 3 answers could be correct. The Ranger said he would check it out. The last park was Minneopa. This was the most problem as the coords given for the final was 0.51 miles off. The west coord was correct but the north coord was in error. I went back to the Rangers office and he gave me the UTM coords which were dead on. He said he would fix the problem today (Sunday)

Nice job Ramsey63
As a FTF on those caches I think that was a great thing to do. Is there a chance you could look at Pearhead's post above and help with the descriptions for those parks?
THANKS!
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me like a lot of the coordinates were off this year. Did the park staff have geocacher help this year or were they fending for themselves?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
It seems to me like a lot of the coordinates were off this year. Did the park staff have geocacher help this year or were they fending for themselves?

Safari caches? How many have you done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: