MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Geotech event
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: 2009 Geotech event Reply with quote

In the fall of 2007, Merkman put together a very well liked Geotech event. This event setup classes in various geocaching topics at Gander Mountain.

It has now been almost two years since that event and the time is ripe that we held another geotech event. We've been in contact with REI and they will let us use their classroom in their Bloomington location free of charge.

A tentative schedule would allow about 5 one hour classes in various topics. One class should probably be "Introduction to geocaching".

What other classes would you like to see at this event and would you be interested in teaching a class?

Ideas currently suggested:
Introduction to geocaching
Introduction to GSAK - Betty
Intermediate GSAK - Betty
GSAK - Macros
How to solve geocaching puzzles
Creating an advanced cache page
Technical walk through of GPS models

(Edited to add the ideas proposed)

-Jonas

Last edited by Jonas on Mon May 04, 2009 5:44 pm; edited 7 times in total
bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: GSAK Reply with quote

Definitely a class on GSAK. GSAK changed the way I geocache and I know that I am only using a small part of this cool and powerful geocaching application.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to have multiple GSAK classes offered, based on skill level. Learning basic GSAK, intermediate GSAK (building custom waypoint names, retrieving PQs by email, etc), and advanced GSAK (macros, etc). These topic can't really be rolled into one class without either boring half the class or overwhelming half the class.

There was recently an article put together by Bus&Betty about building PQs based on a route - I bet 'Betty' would be willing to teach a class like that!

I would suggest looking at the last event's schedule to see what else was on the agenda if you haven't already.
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a class on puzzle caches? I look at a lot of those and only figure out a few. Maybe going over some of the basic puzzle ideas, and showing us what to look for in a puzzle.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know myself I'd like to see something on how to "dress up" a cache page on GC.com. Maybe someone could put a little instructional pamplet together? Not sure if I'll be there though. It all depends when it is going to be held.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapalas wrote:
How about a class on puzzle caches? I look at a lot of those and only figure out a few. Maybe going over some of the basic puzzle ideas, and showing us what to look for in a puzzle.

We would have to have permission from puzzle owners to use their puzzles. They sometimes work vey hard on them as well as those who figure out how to solve them so sometimes they may not want it taught on how to solve them.
If those that have puzzles would like to volunteer their puzzles and solutions for a class and there is interest I would not see any issues with the topic.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfalstad did the class on this last time. It was an excellent discussion and well attended.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

There was recently an article put together by Bus&Betty about building PQs based on a route - I bet 'Betty' would be willing to teach a class like that!

We're happy to help. Has a date been set?
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus&Betty wrote:
We're happy to help. Has a date been set?

Not yet, before we book the classroom we want to have an idea about how long we need the classroom and to make sure that our volunteer instructors are available the day we pick.
Right now, a Saturday or Sunday in August or September looks to be the most likely timeframe for the geotech event.

-Jonas
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a class on getting the most out of your particular GPS model? Some are very advanced and others not quite so but each have features many do not how to use or take best advantage. They buy based on price not features.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYSandy23 wrote:
How about a class on getting the most out of your particular GPS model? Some are very advanced and others not quite so but each have features many do not how to use or take best advantage. They buy based on price not features.

I think that in order to do this they would have to have many different sessions when you look at how many different models are out there. I have a 60CS and an Oregon 400T. I have to admit that I am not advanced as others (MinnesotaBrad) and would like to learn more, however if they taught a class on every model we would have the classroom going for a month straight.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can probably still be done. A class showing four distinctly different models and some of their features and how to do the advanced stuff could be interesting especially if you are in the market for a new device.
Oregon, 60CSx, iPhone and maybe a Magellan/Lowrance model?

-Jonas
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
It can probably still be done. A class showing four distinctly different models and some of their features and how to do the advanced stuff could be interesting especially if you are in the market for a new device.

-Jonas

How many open times are we going to have open to attend? I would like to attend the 60, Oregon and the iPhone... and then also still make all the GSAK stuff.... I think that I might be able to take something new at every session.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Jonas wrote:

-Jonas

How many open times are we going to have open to attend? I would like to attend the 60, Oregon and the iPhone... and then also still make all the GSAK stuff.... I think that I might be able to take something new at every session.

The GPS class could probably be a single hour segment. Running through 15 minutes for each device.

Based on the feedback from Merkman last time, he recommended class-lengths of 1 hour with 15 minute break in between each. I think a realistic goal is to aim for 5 sessions eventhough we could squeeze in 7 sessions but that makes for a long day.

I think a goal should be to find the classes that our members are most interested in and hold those. If this goes well, there is nothing saying that we could not hold another one a few months later.

A tentative schedule could look like this:
10.30 - 11.30 session 1
11.30 - 12.00 lunch
12.00 - 13.00 session 2
13.15 - 14.15 session 3
14.15 - 14.45 afternoon break
14.45 - 15.45 session 4
16.00 - 17.00 session 5

-Jonas
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! I would like to attend the sessions, but would help out with anything that is needed. If you need help, let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: