MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lakers Game
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Lakers Game Reply with quote

I was really confused for about 20 Secs.

I got worried Last night Was game on of the Lakers/Timberwolves game in the West Conference Finals.

I was wondering why Towlebooth was such a big Lakers Fan that he put a Link to the LAKERS on the main page. Then I remembered that RJ and Towlebooth have spent time and money to help MINNESOTA become the Best State in Geocaching by creating this game for MNGCA.

You gotta admit because of great people like these two and all many others that we truely have a special group of geocachers.

Where else is there a group of cachers that have games like this (ok Utah) - but I assure you that they don't have "get sauced events", Night Caching Trips, ACTIVE Board members, and members that will go outta their way to promote the game!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is bumming me out that I can't go to today event and stuck here at work Exclamation

I love the game page and the point system.

I would like to see just one thing added. I would like to see bonus points for somebody who does and Outta-State Rescue of a Laker.
Just a thought.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

I would like to see just one thing added. I would like to see bonus points for somebody who does and Outta-State Rescue of a Laker.
Just a thought.

Funny you should mention that! At the event I mused that there might be special bounties (points given) for Lakers brought back into MN.

Never thought about the basketball tie-in. WHOOPS! At least they are not Packers!

The majority of the pieces are now out and in the world with some going to Duluth, Mankato, Rochester, St. Cloud, and points in between. Jillibean and I are heading up to the Iron Range for Memorial Day weekend and will seed that are as well.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How should we initially log these? Does the moving between the event and their first cache count? (I assume no, as that'd be a bit unfair...)

And also, the defaulting time/date is an hour ahead of itself it seems on the logging.

I'll get on dropping these suckers off.

-Aaron
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
How should we initially log these? Does the moving between the event and their first cache count? (I assume no, as that'd be a bit unfair...)

Up to you - if you want to take the points, you are doing us a service by getting them out there. If you don't want the points just tell me and I can delete the points (but not the moves so people know where they are) for you.

s4xton wrote:

And also, the defaulting time/date is an hour ahead of itself it seems on the logging.

Yeah, the server must be in the Eastern time zone. Hey Unix/mySQL people - how do I change that? Is there a db or server setting I can make?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the initial point... I don't think I deserve points for 9 of these things just for voulenteering to get things spread out...

...or maybe it would make sense to reset the game once all of them are in caches and out of people's hands? ...or maybe that's too complicated.

Either way, Duluth area will get filled up soon. Going up in a bit.

-Aaron
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question --- I took 3 Laker pieces that I am mailing up to LoneEagle to put in his caches. Am I supposed to log these in my name first so you know where they are?... or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
I would remove the initial point... I don't think I deserve points for 9 of these things just for voulenteering to get things spread out...

Either way, Duluth area will get filled up soon. Going up in a bit.

-Aaron

I think you should. You are Spreading these out! Wink And going way up north.
Anyway, these will probably be the only points I get. Rolling Eyes

Shane
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought up 9 game pieces to the duluth area to get passed around. Due to weather, Moe and Silent Bob decided not to come up and cache. So, on my own decided I should hit at least a couple caches despite the weather. I would not have done any caches if it wasn't for these game pieces in my pack. I then DNF'ed two caches because I didn't know they were multis. Later found two caches in the freezing windy rain crap weather and they only fit 2 game pieces each... So on my way home I stopped in Hinckley and dropped the remaining 5 off at a very, very easy cache that's easily accessible. Hopefully these will get distributed from there.

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you should. You are Spreading these out! Wink And going way up north.
Anyway, these will probably be the only points I get. Rolling Eyes

Shane

Well, perhaps... But you may be surprised how many you will find, I am guessing. I think one of the basic strategies is to make it difficult for others to earn points by placing pieces in caches that are difficult to get to, especially far away frm the metro. That will be my strategy, anyway. When I nab them I will start planning the road trip to the Blue Earth and Fargo/M-Head areas.

I will happily take the role of getting as many pieces out of the metro as possible. Wink

-Aaron
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial distribution Lakers and the points earned is something that RJ and I did not really think about. . .

We want to reward those helping us get these across the state without cheating those who could not make the event or live out-state.

A ruling will come today.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:

I will happily take the role of getting as many pieces out of the metro as possible. Wink

Thanks for starting out so many s4xton, and others. I dropped two today. One easy and one nearly impossible KB cache, at least with all this rain for now.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
one nearly impossible KB cache, at least with all this rain for now.

Gosh, I barely got muddy. Oh yeah, the rain started the day after I placed it.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ and I have decided that a maximum of 9 points (3 Lakers worth) will be allowed to cachers that grabbed a bunch of Lakers to distribute across the state.

We really appreciate those who did - they are really helping this game take off all over. THANKS! We just want to make it fair for everyone.

I'll be removing points manually so there may be a lags of several hours where someone has extra points.

This will not occur in later rounds of the game. (What's a round? We are planning to restart the game over and over so that new players can get involved.)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fair to me.

I'd apply that rule to whoever picks up my stash of 5 of them in Hinkley too. Wink

...again, sorry, just was trying to unload them north of here and the last two caches I found I packed full. =)

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: