MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
Wylbur wrote:
Follow the instructions here.
http://coord.info/textmark.aspx

Any SPAM come with this?? Question

Your blackberry isn't getting the job done? Seems like a pain to have to jump through all those hoops.

My CrackBerry is doing just fine Very Happy I was just wondering what came along with the TextMark, but saw this after going to the link:

This is a "free" service for you although SMS texting fees may apply based on your cell phone subscription. It is also a service that is supported by TextMarks' own advertisments. We don't have any control over the ads presented to you so don't complain about them.

So I guess I answered my own question.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
My CrackBerry is doing just fine Very Happy

Glad to hear that. I'm ready to chuck mine out the window. ShockedLaughing
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Notification Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Wylbur wrote:
So no you don't get the coordinates or the distance/direction from your home in the text message.

Oh, this is what I get (with the distance but no coordinates):

Quote:
This is an automated message from Geocaching

For GC1QN51: Muggleproof (Traditional Cache)
9.1mi E (14.6km E)
Surfer Joe published Muggleproof (Traditional Cache) at 4/28/2009

Log Date: 4/28/2009
Published

Visit this log entry at the below address:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f2fb96ad-7cc0-4522-964d-f7d71793a094

Visit Traditional Cache
Muggleproof
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=511a663f-6016-4906-8e3a-70e29043337a

Profile for Surfer Joe:
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c2eb9d5d-d91e-4c38-8491-58183b934ffa

Notification: 55345
http://www.geocaching.com/notify/edit.aspx?NID=123456

This is the EMAIL notification you get. Try sending that to your cell phone as a TEXT message - not as an email. You get nada.

Also, this notification does not have the cache coordinates, so you have to go back to GC.com somehow to be able to go out and find the cache.
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
Wylbur wrote:
Follow the instructions here.
http://coord.info/textmark.aspx

Any SPAM come with this?? Question

Your blackberry isn't getting the job done? Seems like a pain to have to jump through all those hoops.

My CrackBerry is doing just fine Very Happy I was just wondering what came along with the TextMark, but saw this after going to the link:

This is a "free" service for you although SMS texting fees may apply based on your cell phone subscription. It is also a service that is supported by TextMarks' own advertisments. We don't have any control over the ads presented to you so don't complain about them.

So I guess I answered my own question.

Crackberry or not, you still can't find the cache with that notification.

The TextMark solution allows you to get a notification, get the cache info, and find the cache - without web access, just an old text message capable phone.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Notification Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
This is the EMAIL notification you get. Try sending that to your cell phone as a TEXT message - not as an email. You get nada.

Also, this notification does not have the cache coordinates, so you have to go back to GC.com somehow to be able to go out and find the cache.

Ah, I see what you mean. It gets cut off because there is a limit to the size of a text message.
Quote:
This is an automated message from Geocaching

For GC1QN51: Muggleproof (Traditional Cache)

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get description, waypoint, directions, distance, coordinates, type and ratings. I can also set thresholds like... N:6 miles, NW:6 miles, NE:9 miles, E:10 miles, SE:30 miles, S:30 miles, etc etc.
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I get description, waypoint, directions, distance, coordinates, type and ratings. I can also set thresholds like... N:6 miles, NW:6 miles, NE:9 miles, E:10 miles, SE:30 miles, S:30 miles, etc etc.

Cryptic and interesting, can you share details? What equipment - process - etc.

Thanks!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

I calculate the distances from home/work and timewellspent/minnstar's front door and decide if I want to try for FTF when it is published.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ?? Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Thanks!

I'm a java guy and bflentje uses one of those other programming languages you've probably never heard of. Very Happy
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I calculate the distances from home/work and timewellspent/minnstar's front door and decide if I want to try for FTF when it is published.

LOL, I need to move Cool
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

LOL, I need to move Cool

Yeah, you need to move farther away to give other people a chance at FTF once in awhile. Smile I need to find Kred's address too!
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

LOL, I need to move Cool

Yeah, you need to move farther away to give other people a chance at FTF once in awhile. Smile I need to find Kred's address too!

I guess you don't even count when you move to Chaska! I feel so irrelevant! Crying or Very sad
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

I guess you don't even count when you move to Chaska! I feel so irrelevant! Crying or Very sad

You're not as big of an FTF hound as TWS. Smile You just have great luck that you're in the right place at the right time a LOT! Laughing Driving down the freeway and just happen to see your mom walking down the trail and you jump out of your truck and find the cache first. What luck! Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ?? Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Thanks!

Trade secret. I'd hate to lose the advantage. My FTF count has increased dramatically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: