MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK to filter multi user PQ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: GSAK to filter multi user PQ? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone out there knows if a common PQ can be run through consecutive gsak filters to make a common list of caches for a group.
In other words, can I run a PQ that eliminates any finds in the PQ area then send that to a fellow cacher to filter out his previous finds in the area and so on. The hope is that after everyone in the group has cleared their finds the remaining PQ would hold common unfound caches for all involved. The last one to filter the list could then redistribute that list and everyone would be on the same page of unfound caches.
I have GSAK but don't know if this is an available feature.
Thanks for any help you may be able to share.
DaBloodhound
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a macro called groupcaching or groupcaching2. I have not done it myself, but it does not sound hard.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK to filter multi user PQ? Reply with quote

What I usually do is have everybody send me their "My Finds" PQ. Then I load one of the PQ's using the "Set user flag", "If matched, ONLY update user flag", and "Clear all user flags first" boxes checked. Then I load the other PQ's using the same boxes checked except for "Clear all user flags first". Now if I set a filter to look only at my unfound caches with the user flag clear, those caches are unfound by everyone.

Now this might work, I haven't tried it: have everybody do the same PQ and send it to you. Then clear all user flags and load one of the PQ's, and then set the user flag for all found caches (use a filter to select only found caches and then User Flags->Set for Filter Only). Do the same for all the other PQ's including yours. Then filter on caches with the user flag unset.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GPSBabel (which is what gsak uses behind the scenes) and I happened to see this yesterday but I've never tried it: http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/geocaching.html

Code:
We have a group hunt planned this weekend and would like to hunt only caches that none of us have found.

gpsbabel -i gpx -f yourarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f hisfinds.gpx -i gpx -f hisfinds.gpx -i gpx -f herfinds.gpx -i gpx -f herfinds.gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx

Translation: Start with a PQ of the entire area. Merge the 'found' cache lists from each cacher on the hunt. Discard anything that appears on the list more than once. Obviously, if the PQs aren't for exactly the same area/cache type, additional filtering may be needed.

BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get all your cachers in your group to upload their finds to http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/, then you can go their "Cacher Comparison Calculator" (http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/compare_finds.php)

With that you will be able to come up with a list of caches you have all found. They have a help page set up telling you how to use the data with GSAK. http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/compare_gsak.php

Enjoy.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just let each cacher worry about his own PQ.. Cool Wink ok, I was being smart. Blame Karen.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK to filter multi user PQ? Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:
In other words, can I run a PQ that eliminates any finds in the PQ area then send that to a fellow cacher to filter out his previous finds in the area and so on.

If you received a copy of those other cachers "all finds" gpx and import it into you GSAK database, then you can filter out caches that you and they have found. The GSAK help topic "Log Filter Examples" or "Filter: Log examples" shows how to do this.

-Jonas
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GSAK to filter multi user PQ? Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
What I usually do is have everybody send me their "My Finds" PQ. Then I load one of the PQ's using the "Set user flag", "If matched, ONLY update user flag", and "Clear all user flags first" boxes checked. Then I load the other PQ's using the same boxes checked except for "Clear all user flags first". Now if I set a filter to look only at my unfound caches with the user flag clear, those caches are unfound by everyone.

This is also what I do and it works well.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GSAK for this in the set filter, in the logs tab, run a "log" filter:

Logs to search "all"
include/exclude "exclude"
logged by "enter cacher name or id number" if using name it has to be exact, so I use id number.

Then run any other filters i.e. specific diff / terr , distance, cache types, cache sizes, what ever you want to hunt up... export to gps, or mapsoure or what ever, and email that gpx file to the other cachers and you should have only unfound caches for all on the list and be good to go...

Have fun
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
I use GSAK for this in the set filter, in the logs tab, run a "log" filter:

Logs to search "all"
include/exclude "exclude"
logged by "enter cacher name or id number" if using name it has to be exact, so I use id number.

Then run any other filters i.e. specific diff / terr , distance, cache types, cache sizes, what ever you want to hunt up... export to gps, or mapsoure or what ever, and email that gpx file to the other cachers and you should have only unfound caches for all on the list and be good to go...

Have fun

When you pull a PQ it only pulls the last 4 (or is it 5?) logs from a cache. If the cache was hit with more logs than that since the last time you pulled the PQ then you'll miss out on some of the logs (for example, if WNC hits a cache then you'll miss some of the logs from that).
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
When you pull a PQ it only pulls the last 4 (or is it 5?) logs from a cache. If the cache was hit with more logs than that since the last time you pulled the PQ then you'll miss out on some of the logs (for example, if WNC hits a cache then you'll miss some of the logs from that).

That still works, granted that you get the "all finds" gpx from the people you want to filter on as it would contain all their find logs.

-Jonas
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: group PQ Reply with quote

THANKS everyone for all the data and ideas.

I'll give this a go for next weekend and see how it all works out.

See ya down the trail
DB Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

That still works, granted that you get the "all finds" gpx from the people you want to filter on as it would contain all their find logs.

-Jonas

Yes. I guess my point was that no matter how you do it you need everyone's 'my finds' query as the regular PQs don't necessarily provide all of the required information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: