MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science Museum demo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Science Museum demo Reply with quote

I received this email from Nate at geocaching.com a while ago. This sounds like a fun opportunity to demonstrate geocaching. Unfortunately, it's the same time as our next event.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this? I had sent the word out to a few cachers but hadn't seen any interest, so I thought I'd post this here and see if anyone wanted to volunteer to do it.

Quote:
Greetings from Groundspeak! Check out the email we received today below...
Does this sound like something you are interested in? Or maybe you know
someone who would be? Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Regards,

Nate
Groundspeak, Inc.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Subject: MN Science Museum event
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:16:13 -0500

Hi!!

I work at the Science Museum of Minnesota. We are having a special event at the museum which is focused on "Exploration" and the diversity of ways of exploring.

I have recently heard about Geocaching and would love to have it featured at the event, Science Fusion: Bringing Cultures Together, on Saturday May 22nd from 12:00--4:00.

Could you please link me to someone here in the St Paul/Minneapolis area
who could help me set this up?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing more about this cool organization.

Catherine Denison---Community Science
651 221-4532
cdenison@smm.org

KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already "volunteered", ans Wicketswanderingponypatrol with her family.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to try to set up that Swedan cache for this....
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts exactly Kitch. Would be a perfect way to show geocaching off virtually.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Denison already contacted me personally, I already started a thread, and I already got a few volunteers--The WWPP Family and KCOGRN. Thanks
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, why did my signature quit working??????!!!!!!!!!!!! HTML and BBCode are both on.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
OK, why did my signature quit working??????!!!!!!!!!!!! HTML and BBCode are both on.

Mine randomly stopped working as well. Yet I can still display the current image and URL. The image comes from GC.com and the URL points there as well.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone that went to the event missed out on this one! Had a great time educating the public on Geocaching. WicketsWanderingPonyPatrol and family did an absolutely fantastic job of promoting the sport.

They had brocures printed, a great display board, sample caches, an event cache (even an event I can log when it gets posted!), and were great at explaining geocaching to passing visitors. WWPP managed to get a few laughs with one couple that walked by, as she was trying to get them interested. She also managed to stuff a few brochures and her ever popular Micro CITOs at a DNR officer working in a shop located by the front entrance! Wish I'd have gotten a picture of that.

Thank you, one and all, for being there with me, I'd have been lost in that large booth by myself.

The staff at the Science Museum were great as well, very helpful, and thankful for us being there. We got free passes to the Museum (for a future visit, not to mention free admission today and free parking!) and tickets to the omnitheater, and a handwritten thank you card. The organizers even stopped by the booth PERSONALLY to thank us for being there. WWPP and I might have even convinced them to let us hide a permanent cache in the Science Museum (honestly they sounded very interested in the idea).

So there's the report from the PR field. If this is any indication of a regular deal there, I will volunteer in a heartbeat for any future Science Museum geocaching activities.

WWPP and family explaining geocaching to an interested group.

WWPP/Family & KC0GRN @ the Science Museum Geocaching Booth.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally posted the write up for this great event:

http://www.mngca.org/articles.php?strArtType=9&strArtID=78

Thanks to members of WWPP and KC0GRN for this excellent PR day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: