MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

woodticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
commander & chief
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: woodticks Reply with quote

We hate the little buggers. Our youngest GeoPup was just diagnosed as "Being exposed" to Lymes. It really made us think about taking them with us Caching. As far as I can see they serve no purpose in life other than to irritate us and spread disease. Evil or Very Mad
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get time this weekend I'll put together an info paper on Tick Protection. In the 7 years that I've been caching here, I've only had one tick crawling on exposed skin. And I've never had one embedded on my person.

Even this last weekend with three other cachers pulling ticks of their clothing left and right three days straight I had nary a one.

So I'll put together an article and send it to the board to post on the front page. It follows the Department of Defense and the Center for Disease Controls guidelines and essentially is 100% protection. I'll try and get it done this weekend.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
In the 7 years that I've been caching here, I've only had one tick crawling on exposed skin. And I've never had one embedded on my person.

My husband is like that, only with mosquitos. They'll be swarming around everyone else and he'll have 2 buzzing around him. Makes me so mad! Evil or Very Mad
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
So I'll put together an article and send it to the board to post on the front page. It follows the Department of Defense and the Center for Disease Controls guidelines and essentially is 100% protection. I'll try and get it done this weekend.
I'm looking forward to it!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:

Just sent it to board@mngca.org and to Pear Head

Arctic
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:

Just sent it to board@mngca.org and to Pear Head

Arctic

This was quite the comprehensive article - thanks Arctic!

http://mngca.org/node/370

(My plug: Anyone else interested in putting together articles for the front page feel free to contact the webmasters!)
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad

Found a deer tick crawling in my hair whilst at dinner with friends at Fitger's Brewhouse today. Grrr.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Never thought it would happen to me! Reply with quote

Sunday morning, after the 2009 MnGCA Spring Event (& caching my way there and back to the lake), I discovered a little deer tick digging its way into my left arm. I was not able to remove the entire tick at this point.

Monday there was a red spot. Tuesday it had progressed to an aspirin size with indications of becoming a characteristic lyme bulls-eye. Today I saw a doc. He removed the tick head & prescribed doxycycline just in case. 2 tabs a day for 10 days. You can bet I'll use repellent often & I'll be more diligent about checking for ticks in the future.

The docís office suggested frequent checking & if one is found: Dose the area with a standard anti-bacterial lotion & cover for a few minutes. If the tick does not back out, then pull straight back on it with tweezers.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost committed geocide today while trying to scout a newly discovered area on my end of town. I walked 50 yards down a deer trail, looked down, saw about 2 dozen ticks crawling up my legs. Nope, didn't need to see the area that bad. I'll leave the area for another time or for someone else.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I almost committed geocide today while trying to scout a newly discovered area on my end of town. I walked 50 yards down a deer trail, looked down, saw about 2 dozen ticks crawling up my legs. Nope, didn't need to see the area that bad. I'll leave the area for another time or for someone else.

I figure once you're in that far you may as well finish the job.. We saw that a couple of years ago on the north side of Lake Bemidji. As you walked down the grassy trail you could see all the brown/black spots at the top of the blades of grass, just waiting for you.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we had what we consider our first real encounter with these disgusting things. We spend lots of time out in the bush, but never seen this amount of ticks as we did, while caching the Moose lake and Dago Lake area. We soaked ourselves down with deep woods on, but to stand there signing a log and see 5 or 6 on each leg making their way up, still makes me shutter. We would go over each other before we got in the truck, but you always miss a few, and feel them crawling on you hours latter, especially on the neck at the hairline. yikes. With so many nooks and crannies in our clothes we would have been better off bare balls and bare (well female parts). That would have scared them away.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours at Cleary Lake yesterday evening and I had 5 crawling on me, only 1 embedded. Its like boy scout camp all over again
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deet and permethrin; I haven't had one on me yet this year.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERMITHONE
I have clothes treated with it that I wear geocaching, I use the military soak & wear style stuff, good for 6 weeks. Gonsolo doesnt use it. Today we were in WI in the Moose Junction, Dairyland area SE of Duluth. While I would see a couple on my pants, a few steps later they were gone. We picked a good 1 1/2 dozen off of her during the walk, a good dozen back at the truck, one every few miles on the way home for easily 30, and back at home 38 so far on her/clothes. The ash tray if full of there burnt bodies. Very Happy Me, I had none after the walk. I have found 2 dead ones in the truck either off of me or the dog. the stuff
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
PERMITHONE
I have clothes treated with it that I wear geocaching, I use the military soak & wear style stuff, good for 6 weeks. Gonsolo doesnt use it. Today we were in WI in the Moose Junction, Dairyland area SE of Duluth. While I would see a couple on my pants, a few steps later they were gone. We picked a good 1 1/2 dozen off of her during the walk, a good dozen back at the truck, one every few miles on the way home for easily 30, and back at home 38 so far on her/clothes. The ash tray if full of there burnt bodies. Very Happy Me, I had none after the walk. I have found 2 dead ones in the truck either off of me or the dog. the stuff

Here's a little more prominent link to "the stuff" in case you missed it the first time around like I did Smile:

http://www.scs-mall.com/insect-repellents/prodinfo.asp?number=SP652
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: