MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MnGCA Meetings Announced

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: MnGCA Meetings Announced Reply with quote

On main page:
http://www.mngca.org/

From Centris & Bobhiker:
The next two meetings will be on February 18 and March 20. Both 7:00 PM. Trying to get the Roseville Public library again, but have not scheduled with them yet.

Location will be posted on the main page as soon as we know it.

Last edited by towlebooth on Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Location for tonight's meeting Reply with quote

From jonsom:

"The name on the building is Ivy League Place, it is visible from Hwy 94 (near hwy 280 & hwy 94) and is a brick building with green awnings on all of the windows. The coordinates are N 44 57.307 W 93 11.280 "

If you haven't seen it, there is also a link to a map on the MnGCA main page.

See you tonight,
towlebooth
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice that on the "big" forum (geocaching.com) that a University of Minnesota Geocachers Assoc is trying to get started. It's in the Midwest section. JK
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Medallion Hunt and/or the Re-Hash Bash. I'd like to know if it is a good idea to do it again. If so, what worked and what didn't? Any suggestions?

An unofficial guess (mine) is that 16 of the first 20 at the picnic were 'cachers. Also, two days after the Bash, I had received over 180 e-mails from cache finds and travel bugs.

Last edited by King Boreas on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not a good idea to state in cache logs, or on cache sites, ways to get in parks without paying. It's fine to suggest certain areas in which to park. I think I've edited any of mine which suggested that, but I'll be checking.

I like this statement I received today:

Passed this one up early in the AM cause I didn't have $5.00 in my pocket. Came at it with a new attitude a bit later

We sent our receipts to Anoka County, showing them how much was paid in one day. I don't think Three Rivers Parks, Anoka County, Washington County, etc. wants us blatantly advising ways to avoid the park admission fee.

Just my thoughts on this[/b]

Last edited by King Boreas on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If I pay at an envelope drop, I always write in big bold letters GEOCACHER before I drop it in. I don't know if it helps or not. Confused

Some Anoka parks have a weird exception such as Coon Rapids Dam -- go in on the west side and it is free, go in the east side and there is a fee - that does not make any sense to me at all. There is another nice free trail into the entire park north of the dam too.
Same thing at Bunker Hills -- go in north or south of the golf course and pay a fee -- park at the nature center and go in for free, there is a nice trail head right there that connects to the entire park - it really doesn't make sense.
(of course this doesn't matter since I have an annual pass)

Lots of parks have free days once in awhile. I know that Three Rivers has posted lots of days that are free access. Anoka has them only occasionally. Plan your geocaching for those days if you have a problem with the fees or buy an annual pass for the parks (cheaper in the long run!)

Maybe we should all think about marking our caches that would require a fee with the price of admission and hours and such? This might discourage those who don't want to pay it from coming to those caches or trying to find a way in. Evil or Very Mad
We might all have to start giving better parking directions or specifically state "not to come in from the side roads" or "no bushwhacking" or "do not cross the fence line" or whatever it takes to make folks "stay on the trails".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Change of Date Reply with quote

The date has been changed for the March meeting - It will now be on Monday, March 24. Same location as February. See main page of this site for details and map.

[Edited this message to show proper date. --tb]

Last edited by towlebooth on Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday is March 24th, Tuesday is March 25th, etc
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting IS on the 24th which is a Monday -- Chad was just typing it in the middle of the night (which is when I sent it to him) - give him a break Confused

I am posting it as an event on Geocaching.com since we will be discussing all the new park rules and such that night and it will be important to get the word out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bringing Sloppy Joes !
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot -- that reminds me......
I guess I better get together some cookies or something for that night, huh?
Thanks Smile
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEP! Will get that changed tonight when I get home. 24th!!

Embarassed
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Something broken? Probably my fault. . .

This time it is MY fault...... Crying or Very sad

I did a double check today with the building scheduler and we are on for Monday the 24th. So I dug thru my emails sent box -- when I forwarded the info to Chad for posting, I wrote the 25th, even though it clearly said the 24th on the forward.
I will humbly accept all *snark* sent my way over this.

When the meeting is finally approved as a event on the big site go sign up that you are coming so I know how many cookies to make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: