MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you have heard that the Minnesota State Parks are creating a new geocaching challenge beginning this summer.

I am relatively new to geocaching and am wondering on the best way to find a group going out to Garden Island? How were those groups organized and publicized last year? We are going to be up in far northern Minnesota in the June 29-July 2 timeframe gathering stamps for our passport (along with geocaching). How far in advance do groups make plans? We would love to go in with a group to share the expense of traveling to Garden Island.

Thanks!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check back on these forums. If you post your intention to go, you'll likely find others with similar intentions and timing.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last trip to Garden Island was born out of these forums. It started as an idea and ended as a really sweet trip (though I didn't get to go).

If you plan it, they will come. Especially to Garden Island.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Zippel Bay SP and have found that there are charters to Garden Island via the Northwest Angle of MN (drive through Canada) or from the south side of Lake of the Woods. Anyone have any idea on what is the best route to go? I have not received any firm quotes from any of the groups yet.

Based on our trip plans, it would be most convenient for us to take the trip from the south side of Lake of the Woods rather than loose all that time driving through Canada. However, I am open to hearing about all of our options.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
I called Zippel Bay SP and have found that there are charters to Garden Island via the Northwest Angle of MN (drive through Canada) or from the south side of Lake of the Woods. Anyone have any idea on what is the best route to go? I have not received any firm quotes from any of the groups yet.

Based on our trip plans, it would be most convenient for us to take the trip from the south side of Lake of the Woods rather than loose all that time driving through Canada. However, I am open to hearing about all of our options.

go through Canada. The trip will be better and much less rough. See Cpt Deb. She's great!

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3966&highlight=deb
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go from the north. But you'll need a passport this year. I'd be interested in going again but June may be too early for me. As your plans evolve, certainly post them here.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, going through Canada will be a lot more pleasant. Boating on LOTW can be a bit rough even in a gentle breeze.

And yes, you'll definitely need passports if you're going after June 1. I'd be interested in going if the dates work out for me. I've never been to Garden Island before. Surprised
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
We are going to be up in far northern Minnesota in the June 29-July 2 timeframe gathering stamps for our passport (along with geocaching).

Be sure to note that the passport stamp for Garden Island is actually located at Zippel Bay so you'll have to ask for it there. We almost forgot and it would've been a few hours out of our way to drive down back to Zippel Bay.

-Jonas
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
CharleneMae wrote:
We are going to be up in far northern Minnesota in the June 29-July 2 timeframe gathering stamps for our passport (along with geocaching).

Be sure to note that the passport stamp for Garden Island is actually located at Zippel Bay so you'll have to ask for it there. We almost forgot and it would've been a few hours out of our way to drive down back to Zippel Bay.

-Jonas

You can mail your book into the DNR main office and they'll stamp any park that you missed (that you actually visited), on your honor.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jonas wrote:
CharleneMae wrote:

-Jonas

You can mail your book into the DNR main office and they'll stamp any park that you missed (that you actually visited), on your honor.

I wonder if I buy a new passport book if they'd stamp them all if I showed them the Final 72 Coin?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Jonas wrote:
CharleneMae wrote:

-Jonas

I wonder if I buy a new passport book if they'd stamp them all if I showed them the Final 72 Coin?

Yep they will if you didn't get them stamped the first time. I think Brad did that.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Jonas wrote:
CharleneMae wrote:

-Jonas

Yep they will if you didn't get them stamped the first time. I think Brad did that.

I bought the Passport the same weekend of Garden Island but they were out at Zippel Bay and had to get it at the next park. I had already done about half of the and went to the DNR office in St Paul with my cards and got all the stamps for all the parks I had visited.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on bringing the kayak and paddling this year. I should survivie the trek. If not, the wife can finally collect on the life insurance.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there was discussion on whether those that completed the History Challenge needed to go to Garden Island for the Safari Challenge.

Was a decision ever made?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus&Betty wrote:
I remember there was discussion on whether those that completed the History Challenge needed to go to Garden Island for the Safari Challenge.

Was a decision ever made?

As far as I know it is required. But I've got nothing to base that on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: