MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated Three Rivers Park District Policy (1/24/2006)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
so what is overkill?

I, like celticwolf, am confused by the question. I'm guessing (and this is usually a bad idea) that you're asking something along the lines of "what's adequate", based on the post previous to yours.

To answer your question, I think the number is quite large - a couple hundred feet before you can get away with not being noticed at a cache.

Changing the rule from 25' to 50' to avoid being seen by muggles probably won't have that much effect. Changing the rule from 25' to 50' for other reasons (having the cache be found by a muggle) may be more significant. Hopefully this can be changed in the future.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEH

I know what I'm trying to say, but it never comes out right. Sometimes sleep is a good thing.

pleasse disregard my previous babble. maybe i learned this time.

Last edited by King Boreas on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
20 per park

what is reasonable for one person?

Ahhh...now I understand...the original statement confused me Laughing

I'd say 20 per park is at least a better situation than previously, and evidence that, even as new as our activity of geocaching is, parks are beginning to recognize that it's a valid use of park areas. I'm guessing it's going to be a slow process due to the nature of government and the fact even geocachers can't agree if it's a game or sport or hobby, but it's a good start Smile I know I'd prefer just standard GC.com rules, but it's at least better than it was...

And personally, I feel that reasonable for one person is whatever they can activly maintain at a high quality for a good cache. I'd say, refering to the "micro spew" thread, since there is a limit on the caches in these parks I'd hate to see a lamp post micro taking one of those limits, but Paklid/Posen style camo would keep me entertained for hours...as well as tough caches like Lair (stupid limestone Sad ). And actively maintained would be another one I'd look at...personally I'm so lazy I'm guessing I'd have trouble maintaining any more than 10 active caches, but that's just me...and Posen's proving he's willing to run out and maintain his plethora so it's all good Smile

But that's just my thoughts...and I'm silly so who knows what they're worth Wink

Celticwulf
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Overkill? Reply with quote

Oh! Oh! Ask me! Ask me!...um, or not...

Guess overkill is debatable, and this ain't the place to do it.

However, as an abuser of the overkill ruling, I can see some sportsmanship in leaving a few spots for others in a park (any park). We have new cachers joining all the time...and we need to leave room for their hides...yet our old hides, such as the ones already in the three-rivers parks, stay there...eventually, in most parks, the Posen grid will need to be used. We hide many and remove few...

We are a young organization, and if you did a graph of cachers joining/caches hidden, I'm sure you'd see a sharp increase that will eventually grid out any metro area...so in Three Rivers Park, how many is overkill? I usually let my approver tell me when to stop, but I'm very glad the park board is not the one telling when to stop.

Thanks to the MnGCA Board for this huge victory. Smile
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bump to a three year dormant thread.

I just submitted a couple caches to Three Rivers for consideration and talked for awhile with Marlene (who administers the geocaching permits for Three Rivers). My caches probably will not be allowed to stay since I forgot they consider Bush Lake and Hyland lake to be one park and we've got a BUNCH of caches around Bush.

Anyway, Marlene asked me something I couldn't answer regarding reducing the number of times she needs to duplicate her work effort (and disappoint a cacher on a submission). Seems that during the course of normal cache turnover (yes, some people actually archive and remove old caches to make room for others to enjoy hiding) the final step of notifying Marlene that a cache is now gone is sometimes being forgotten. As a result, another cacher might - and has on several occasions - submitted a new cache placement request for her that is too close to the archived cache location (which she still has recorded as being active since she was not notified).

My guess is that the bulk of cachers that do archive take the final step and notify Marlene, but enough don't that she's taking the time to review only to see that the cache won't be allowed and then she hears from the submitter that there is an archived cache that needs to be removed from her books - so she does that and then does another review of the submission.

So she asked for help in identifying a strategy to reduce the chances that this set of circumstances happens as we go forward.

Any suggestions?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have her log into geocaching.com and pull up a known cache on the geocaching.com On Google map feature. She'll be able to see all of the surrounding boxes.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had this happen with caches we placed. There were archived caches in Elm Creek that she still has on her active list. The Mr. and I discussed this (OK, I talked and he pretended to listen) and raised the possibility of just listing the active caches on any future submissions. I know it's more work, but I walked 4 miles and don't want to have to go out and pick up my containers!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a discussion about this type of thing on another thread recently. Maybe Three Rivers could enroll as a basic member (so there'd be no charge) and watchlist the caches in their parks so they'd know about archival (and other activity).
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll contact Marlene and get a thread started with her. I want to discuss the geocaching policy as a whole, so this is the opportune time.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
We had a discussion about this type of thing on another thread recently. Maybe Three Rivers could enroll as a basic member (so there'd be no charge) and watchlist the caches in their parks so they'd know about archival (and other activity).

Yeah, that would be funny. They would be so annoyed with all the found logs. I am guessing that they would miss most of the archived because they would just ignore the emails after a little while.

However they could easily use the map feature to look at the caches that are active.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
They would be so annoyed with all the found logs.

Point well taken.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
I'll contact Marlene and get a thread started with her. I want to discuss the geocaching policy as a whole, so this is the opportune time.

Shoot for, "Tear down this wall!" Laughing
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

Someone could send print copies of an active watchlist, bookmarks or PQs of active caches to help update them monthly or quarterly...?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:

I'll try...but I doubt that will happen. Wink My hope is they relax the rules a bit, but I wouldn't expect the rules to go away.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
NeverSummer wrote:

I'll try...but I doubt that will happen. Wink My hope is they relax the rules a bit, but I wouldn't expect the rules to go away.

lol it was worth a try! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: