MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today Reply with quote

For all of those folks worried about the environment, I've got a new program available that can help reduce your carbon foot print.

- Standard Plan: For a mere $19.99, you will receive a genuine certificate that truthfully states geocacher bflentje will drive his 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, estimated EPA fuel economy of 30MPG, for 100 geocaching miles rather this his 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe which provides an estimated 17MPG (down hill with the wind).

- Platinum Plan: For only $5.00 more ($24.99 total), you will get everything as provided in the standard plan ** PLUS ** I will plant one tree in recognition of your contribution to our environment.

This offer is real Laughing Laughing Laughing . Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check or credit card via Paypal. Please PM me today before the sale ends.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
For all of those folks worried about the environment, I've got a new program available that can help reduce your carbon foot print.

- Standard Plan: For a mere $19.99, you will receive a genuine certificate that truthfully states geocacher bflentje will drive his 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, estimated EPA fuel economy of 30MPG, for 100 geocaching miles rather this his 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe which provides an estimated 17MPG (down hill with the wind).

- Platinum Plan: For only $5.00 more ($24.99 total), you will get everything as provided in the standard plan ** PLUS ** I will plant one tree in recognition of your contribution to our environment.

This offer is real Laughing Laughing Laughing . Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check or credit card via Paypal. Please PM me today before the sale ends.

Ok all, it was a joke. I was really hoping to get some smart alec responses.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
bflentje wrote:

It was a joke? Please refund my Paypal of $24.99 ASAP Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

I was thinking about this some on the drive into town today (I couldn't figure out at the time how serious you really were).

The Cobalt would use about 3.3 gallons in 100 miles (not bad BTW).
The Tahoe would use about 5.9 gallons in 100 miles.

Thus the savings would be about 2.6 gallons.

So you'd be asking someone to spend $20 so that "they" could save the environment 2.6 gallons of gas.

Spendy gas.

Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Your Carbon Offset Today Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I was thinking about this some on the drive into town today (I couldn't figure out at the time how serious you really were).

The Cobalt would use about 3.3 gallons in 100 miles (not bad BTW).
The Tahoe would use about 5.9 gallons in 100 miles.

Thus the savings would be about 2.6 gallons.

So you'd be asking someone to spend $20 so that "they" could save the environment 2.6 gallons of gas.

Spendy gas.

Wink

Some new scam I ran into on the net today after Knowschad had posted a link on the national forums. I might have to get into the carbon credit business, seriously. I don't mean here BTW. Shocked
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Geographic march 2009. "a gallon of gas adds 19.6 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere" Needless to say that is through out the whole process.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already got my through Al Gore, I wanted to save that polar bear foating on the ice.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
National Geographic march 2009. "a gallon of gas adds 19.6 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere" Needless to say that is through out the whole process.

1 gallon of gas does not weigh 19.6 pounds. It's physically and chemically impossible for NGS's statement to be true. Though it's been 15 years and I don't practice in the field, my B.S. in Chemistry could easily refute that Al Gore like claim. Laughing Laughing But that's a different thread and I'd hate for my politics to scare people away. Whether man causes GW or not, these carbon offsets and credits are a scam.

And for the record, one US gallon weighs 6.073 lb. Without factoring ANYTHING ELSE like density (versus temp), laws of conservation, perfect vs. imperfect chemical reactions, etc etc, the ABSOLUTE MOST CO2 that could be put into the atmosphere is 6.073 pounds worth, and that's if the gasoline molecule was completely converted to just CO2 and nothing else(which we all know is not the case). Shocked Shocked Shocked
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

1 gallon of gas does not weigh 19.6 pounds. It's physically and chemically impossible for NGS's statement to be true. Though it's been 15 years and I don't practice in the field, my B.S. in Chemistry could easily refute that Al Gore like claim. Laughing Laughing But that's a different thread and I'd hate for my politics to scare people away. Whether man causes GW or not, these carbon offsets and credits are a scam.

And for the record, one US gallon weighs 6.073 lb. Without factoring ANYTHING ELSE like density (versus temp), laws of conservation, perfect vs. imperfect chemical reactions, etc etc, the ABSOLUTE MOST CO2 that could be put into the atmosphere is 6.073 pounds worth, and that's if the gasoline molecule was completely converted to just CO2 and nothing else(which we all know is not the case). Shocked Shocked Shocked

I am not sure, but I think that he was saying throughout the process of refinement... but I could be wrong. And again, I am not stating anything about the fact... just adding to how I took the original statement.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

I am not sure, but I think that he was saying throughout the process of refinement... but I could be wrong. And again, I am not stating anything about the fact... just adding to how I took the original statement.

So, how many carbon offets do you want to buy? I even offer gift cards for your family and friends. I start driving again when the new State Park challenge starts so get your offsets while they're still on sale.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that instead of funding others carbon offsets, I think that I will just purchase my own gas lol. I am hoping to do the State Park Challenge this year... I should keep a running total on what gas costs.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I should keep a running total on what gas costs.

Shouldn't be as scary as last year, that's for sure. I did track my gas and I didn't divulge it to the wife until I got the medallion.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

Actually, a quick google shows that the calculation is not at all based on the refining process nor the fact that gasoline usually need to be transported to the user. It seems the calculation is as simple as the O2 in CO2. The oxygen in CO2 obviously comes from the air and adds to the weight.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/co2.shtml

Thanks for bringing up this issue of CO2 and carbon emissions Bart. Smile Btw, is this the Buy and Sell thread? Maybe this should move to "Non-Geocaching".

-Jonas
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

Actually, a quick google shows that the calculation is not at all based on the refining process nor the fact that gasoline usually need to be transported to the user. It seems the calculation is as simple as the O2 in CO2. The oxygen in CO2 obviously comes from the air and adds to the weight.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/co2.shtml

Thanks for bringing up this issue of CO2 and carbon emissions Bart. Smile

Sure. But you still need to balance the equation. In order to grab an Oxygen atom you have to take one from somewhere else.. such as another greenhouse gas like H2O, CO, etc etc. The bottom line is, you cannot create mass no matter how much you try.

Jonas wrote:
Btw, is this the Buy and Sell thread? Maybe this should move to "Non-Geocaching".

-Jonas

I really am selling carbon offsets exactly as stated. If anyone has a guilty conscience about the environment, I promise to fullfill the original offer if there are any takers.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

April 1st was like two weeks ago. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: