MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cable ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: cable ? Reply with quote

I have a question about cables....I got a new laptop after my computer blew up. Now, I can't hook up my gps to it to download coords (both have the female 15 pin). I have a etrex legend. I went on the website, but I don't see how the only cable they show would work either for this model. Is there some sort of an adapter I can get?
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are looking for a serial to USB adapter. The Etrex used a serial port which new laptops does not come with. I know that Microcenter in St Louis Park stocks those type of cables, otherwise Amazon should have those as well, just seach for "serial to usb adapter", they should run between 5 to 15 dollars.

-Jonas
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to need just a little bit more information.

The new legends are USB cabled. So are you talking about an old legend?

It sounds like your trying to connect to your legend by serial cable. If so one end of your GPSr cable would have a connector for the etrex with a 4 pin connector. The other end would be a standard communications port serial connector. I suspect that this is the case.

So I also suspect from your description that your new computer does not have a serial port but only USB ports.

Therefore what you need is a serial to USB converter. I prefer the Belkin USB to Serial Portable Adapter.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459431

There are other sites out there as well that have similar cables that are cheaper.

Do a google on USB to Serial Cable

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=447

This is how I used to connect my old 76C and GPS V to my PC.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, 15pin? The cable I had for my legend was a DB9, ie 9 pin serial cable. If yours is 15 pin then you'll need a DB15 to USB adapter, I was not aware that Garmin used those type of connectors.

-Jonas
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Wait, 15pin? The cable I had for my legend was a DB9, ie 9 pin serial cable. If yours is 15 pin then you'll need a DB15 to USB adapter, I was not aware that Garmin used those type of connectors.

-Jonas

oops, your right, I can't count...the cable I got with the Garmin has 9 pins (holes) that plugged into my old computer....my laptop doesn't have that. It's an old garmin legend and according to the book, under PC interface Cable: allows for transfer of data form a PC (RS-232 serial port connector) to an eTrex legend.

The end that goes into the legend slides into the top on the back of it...4 things (for lack of computer lingo), with one seperate from the other 3. The options I seen so far from the responses wouldn't work.

hope this helps. WARNING: I had to order 3 cables before I got the right one to hook up my laptop to my TV. Rolling Eyes
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post. All of the links provided will take you to a USB to DB9 connector. They all you have to do is hook it up to your USB port.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
See my post. All of the links provided will take you to a USB to DB9 connector. They all you have to do is hook it up to your USB port.

I get it now...just took me longer to figure that one out (connect the cables together, duh). This connector would work with Windows Vista or doesn't that matter?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't have an etrex I can not guarantee. However, it is the one that I used with my GPSr.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to the same thing with my Garminn GPS 72 as my back up unit and did have very good luck. The adapter cable did not work with my Vista loaded computer. But others had no problem using them on Vista go figure. Good Luck.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 pin port on your laptop is likely for an external monitor.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The 15 pin port on your laptop is likely for an external monitor.

It's what I hook up to for the TV, along with the headphone jack for the sound.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin gps that the State Parks have the same connection so I got the serial to usb connector and had a problem. GSAK would not down load. Any one have problems with that? It worked when it was just a serial port.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
The Garmin gps that the State Parks have the same connection so I got the serial to usb connector and had a problem. GSAK would not down load. Any one have problems with that? It worked when it was just a serial port.

You're sure you're set on the right serial port? It won't be "USB" in GSAK (although that option may exist) - it would be listed as a COM port.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

You're sure you're set on the right serial port? It won't be "USB" in GSAK (although that option may exist) - it would be listed as a COM port.

I was wondering if it had an identity crisis.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

I was wondering if it had an identity crisis.

Yup PH is right. I have an etrex for my kids and you have to set it to a com port vs usb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: