MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing St. Thomas student

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Missing St. Thomas student Reply with quote

I just wanted to warn cachers about caching on the St. Paul side of the river between the University of St. Thomas and Hidden Falls Park. This is the area where the missing student was last known to be. I haven't been to the area to see if it is accessible, but there are search efforts going down in the area and caching in the area, at least for now, is probably not a good idea. They have asked students to stay out of the area, especially the hills by the river.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing St. Thomas student Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
I just wanted to warn cachers about caching on the St. Paul side of the river between the University of St. Thomas and Hidden Falls Park. This is the area where the missing student was last known to be. I haven't been to the area to see if it is accessible, but there are search efforts going down in the area and caching in the area, at least for now, is probably not a good idea. They have asked students to stay out of the area, especially the hills by the river.

Stand by me.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been on that story for a few days now, but the original searching point was near Mississippi River Blvd and St Clair Ave. There are a few caches there, two traditionals to the south, one fairly close to the original ground zero for the searchers. I don't know where the search has progressed to in recent days though.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I haven't been on that story for a few days now, but the original searching point was near Mississippi River Blvd and St Clair Ave. There are a few caches there, two traditionals to the south, one fairly close to the original ground zero for the searchers. I don't know where the search has progressed to in recent days though.

The search has actually been in about a 2 mile radius. Hundreds of student volunteers have been out searching the neighborhoods and such.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly was the situation? They weren't trying for one of my caches, were they? Embarassed
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the news stations up here said they called off the search, yesterday mid-afternoon i think it was.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
the news stations up here said they called off the search, yesterday mid-afternoon i think it was.

Maybe for the day. Hundreds of volunteers and officers are going door to door today. They havent even brought out a boat yet due to dangerous currents, but they are going to do that before they call off any search. They are also going to continue using bloodhounds to search the banks. So from what we have been told they are still searching.

Lucid: The student was walking along east river road near st clair at 3am. He was last hear from talking to a friend on his cell phone. I'm not sure what happened, but the police were called soon after the call ended and it has been a search ever since.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they r saying they moved this young mans case 2 missing persons, and they will still drag the river, but the search is offically over. vols r continuing the search though. can 150 some odd miles make the news that diff? wait, it is the news after all. Rolling Eyes
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
they r saying they moved this young mans case 2 missing persons, and they will still drag the river, but the search is offically over. vols r continuing the search though. can 150 some odd miles make the news that diff? wait, it is the news after all. Rolling Eyes

I guess it depends on your definition of "search." I guess to me, "search" is looking for a body, and gragging the river is doing just that. I do see what you were saying though, and yes, it is most volunteers doing that now, though they are still using bloodhounds.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking from a Search and Recovery aspect. Search is when there is still a belief that the individual missing may still be alive. Recovery means that they believe that the individual could no longer have survived.

However, in this case it changed from Search (see definition above) to Missing Persons. They don't have enough evidence to believe that he may have even gone in the water. Therefore, other possibilities arise. What they are saying is that from a land and water perspective they have combed the areas as well as they are going to without either find a body (alive or dead) or enough evidence to point to a direction to search.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Strictly speaking from a Search and Recovery aspect. Search is when there is still a belief that the individual missing may still be alive. Recovery means that they believe that the individual could no longer have survived.

However, in this case it changed from Search (see definition above) to Missing Persons. They don't have enough evidence to believe that he may have even gone in the water. Therefore, other possibilities arise. What they are saying is that from a land and water perspective they have combed the areas as well as they are going to without either find a body (alive or dead) or enough evidence to point to a direction to search.

Thanks!
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would clear up that the missing student was found by the Ford Dam and caching in the area should no longer be an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: