MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB-GPSERS
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi? Reply with quote

Has anybody got a chance use a Garmin Nuvi in the field yet?

Does anyone know if it uses a HDD or flash?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has an SD expansion card slot. But since you can't upload waypoints only POIs it's only useful in the car or walking in town trying to find an address. It doesn't seem to have much value for geocaching.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Product description
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, Garmins...
CB-GPSERS
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: RTFM....;-) Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
It has an SD expansion card slot. But since you can't upload waypoints only POIs it's only useful in the car or walking in town trying to find an address. It doesn't seem to have much value for geocaching.

After looking through the manual online I found that on page 54 it does explain how to upload waypoints from Mapsource.

Have you heard that this doesn’t work? Confused

To bad it isn't water resistant, and doesn’t have a replaceable Battery. Sad

I still haven't been able to find out if it has a HDD or not....
robertlipe
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ I follow these boards very infrequently, so if hyou have a direct question, mail me. ]

Nuvi has only flash. No HD. Detailed maps of the continent preloaded.

It does support waypoints. Better yet, it supports waypoint by consuming GPX files. So you can just copy your PQ to it (be prepared for it to throw most of the PQ data away and keep the GC# and the coords) you can do nutty things like download it from your Treo to your SD card, put the SD card in your Nuvi, and rock on.

No, it's not shock resistant or waterproof. Nuvi is meant to be in a businessmans vest pocket; it's not really a hiking product.

It's very impressive for what it is, but it's really not a geocaching product. Between the MP3 player and the ability to translate various phrases to another language, my non-caching, but frequently flying friend thinks Nuvi is Gruvi.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at purchasing a Nuvi, specifically the 765T; how does everyone like theirs? Is it worth it?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I am looking at purchasing a Nuvi, specifically the 765T; how does everyone like theirs? Is it worth it?

I purchased one for my wife last year (I believe it's a 205W). She likes it, I enjoy it when I use her vehicle. Even when I know where I'm going and how to get there, I've found that I don't always know the best route.

I've loaded it with caches once on an SD card and navigated to a cache once. It seemed to work well for that, but I wouldn't recommend it for use out of the vehicle - there are better units out there for that. Smile
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

I purchased one for my wife last year (I believe it's a 205W). She likes it, I enjoy it when I use her vehicle. Even when I know where I'm going and how to get there, I've found that I don't always know the best route.

I've loaded it with caches once on an SD card and navigated to a cache once. It seemed to work well for that, but I wouldn't recommend it for use out of the vehicle - there are better units out there for that. Smile

Yeah, I have an Oregon 400T for caching, I would like one for driving to farther away caches. I am noticing less and less caches in my area and I am now venturing into the Twin Cities for more and more caches. I think that the Nuvi will help with my apprehensiveness of the cities.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Yeah, I have an Oregon 400T for caching, I would like one for driving to farther away caches. I am noticing less and less caches in my area and I am now venturing into the Twin Cities for more and more caches. I think that the Nuvi will help with my apprehensiveness of the cities.

I don't deal with auto-routing on handheld units, although I have seen it. It's my belief that the Nuvi probably has roughly the same logic and maps as the handhelds have, but the presentation is much easier to make use of.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I am looking at purchasing a Nuvi, specifically the 765T; how does everyone like theirs?

We had a Nuvi 350 and now have the Nuvi 770. We love ours.

Quote:
Is it worth it?

It is for us. We travel a lot and like it to do the navigating for us. We upgraded to the 770 for the European maps, the ability to prepare a geocaching route, and the traffic radio. We are not disappointed in any of the features.

Bob's been eyeing the new T series, so you'll have to let us know how you like it.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Nuvi 250W and it has worked well for us all over the USA for in car navigation- and the Oregon 400T is excellent- a good combination- but the Nuvi is only as good as the maps which are not up to date- on our last trip throughout the SE it was right on for the businesses and restaurants that are still open or in the same location as they were when the maps were entered- but we found several times that , say, the old Wal-Mart we were directed to was closed and a new one- not in the Nuvi was opened somewhere else- which we found by asking people. With businesses closing so fast now a days- you can't count on the Nuvi being up to date for that type of information and as far as locating a route- it can get you to an area, but your eyes are your most accurate tool. Don't depend on it totally.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to decide if I want the MSN Direct thing. Living in Saint Cloud, I am not sure that it is worth it since it is for larger areas. However, it does come with the FM Transmitter power cord which is nice.

I have a lot of features that I like on this one. I might get this next week, we shall see. I am still doing a lot of research (trying to decide between Ebay or Amazon... and also reading the manuals of different models).
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
it can get you to an area, but your eyes are your most accurate tool. Don't depend on it totally.

Kinda like geocaching? LOL Razz
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at the more economical route, just buy the City Navigator DVD and a 2gb card for your Oregon. From there you can load all of the City Nav data onto the microsd card and you have a unit that gives you turn by turn directions. The big difference, the unit will just beep at you and not call out street names. It beeps once when you are getting close to a turn, twice when you should turn. I use it with my Oregon 400T to get all over the City with no problem. Actually region really, it got me all over Fargo when I was sent up there for the flooding with no problems at all. I've actually had a couple reporters with me who comment how they like the small beeps vs. the voice too, I think that's mostly personal preference. I've noticed the GPS units, no matter which one it is, may not necessarily know the fastest route out there, or every single road, but for the most part it will get you very very close to where you need to go, and I've had no problems with my Oregon getting me there. I believe, but don't know 100% that essentially the map data between the DVD and what is pre-loaded onto a Nuvi is exactly the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: