MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Net Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Dell Net Books Reply with quote

Any body looking for a net book we came across this Dell at Sam’s Club $245.00

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425662&pCatg=11986
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good deal. Some things to keep in mind, this is the 8 GB Solid State hard drive version, which means you get a smaller hard drive, but a faster one.

If you want more space, this is a good alternative:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425886
is on sale for $296.84 and it has a 160GB hard drive and Windows XP.

My Acer One (same size) with windows and a 120 gb HD was $349 5 months ago, so this is a really good deal.

Also check out the keyboard, if I remember correctly, the Dell's don't have a row of F keys. I use my F keys all the time, F11 is the key to go full screen in IE and Firefox, and which such a small screen, you really want to go full screen to see as much as possible. This memory is based off the original lineup, they may have changed that, i can't tell from the photos.

I absolutely love my Netbook, it's a great little machine for the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get my hands on a mini book with more than 8GB of solid state memory.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... quite a find! At 2.2 lbs, you could just as simply use this as a paperless caching solution and with an SSD drive, you can expect a very fast startup.

Edit: fun with SSDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&fmt=22
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dell Net Books Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Any body looking for a net book we came across this Dell at Sam’s Club $245.00

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425662&pCatg=11986

Operating System:
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition

Wow!!! Not Vista? I want one!
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Office fits on 8GB? Kind of a neat idea, I've mostly been using my laptop (which is dying a slow death) for internet access and GSAK.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Does anyone know if Office fits on 8GB? Kind of a neat idea, I've mostly been using my laptop (which is dying a slow death) for internet access and GSAK.

Looks like office needs about 1.5GB.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101668651033.aspx#3
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:

You can barely make Windows fit on 8 GB, thats why I suggest the 160 GB non SS..yeah it might be a bit slower, but in the long run, you'll be much happier when You have music and movies and everything else on your net top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking at the 160GB now, Thanks for the info.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it would be kind of wierd to have more memory on my phone than in my computer...
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should weigh back in - as a result of this thread I got interested in these netbooks, and did a bit of research. After a couple days of snooping around, I picked up a Samsung NC10 – 10” screen, 160GB disk, and added a 2GB memory card. This was more expensive than the others that were mentioned, but got great reviews for build quality and performance. I love it, it’s fast, a good wifi sniffer, and seems to have great battery life. I couldn’t wean myself off the big hard drive though, too used to having everything available. Anyway, thanks for turning me on to these, a heck of a lot cheaper than a new laptop, and really just as useful…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: