MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

woodticks
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalli01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: woodticks Reply with quote

i just thought you all should know the woodticks are out i pulled one of my dog tonight BEWARE!!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: I can't HEAR you! Reply with quote

nananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananana
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it april 1st already?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't HEAR you! Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
nananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananana

"I can't hear you!"
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our supply of Frontline came today. The first dose of the year is going on the dog as soon as I'm done here.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate ticks!! I'm tempted to use frontline on myself.

The Minnesota Department of Health has some good information on Ticks.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/dtopics/tickborne/ticks.html
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled one off Josh's leg 2 weeks ago after the first thaw.

edited for language by PH
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with ticks? In Boy Scouts, we would set them on a hot pan over a fire and watch them explode. Once, while we were doing our camping merit badge, we made a pile of ticks that we had cut in half. In the morning, they were gone Shocked I hope we didn't eat them in our sleep. I had a buddy get lyme disease while camping in wisconsin, but luckily there arent too many deer ticks in MN. I had a deer tick in my thigh once, but I was ok. Maybe they could dig in far enough to start swimming in the blood stream. That sounds kinda neat, a Magic School Bus type of thing. So, ticks, they really aren't that big of a deal, just annoying.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, ticks. Twisted Evil

I think if I were a less ethical person I would collect them all, all year round in a bottle (the things never die). Then, release them into some unsuspecting cache, then mark "needs maintenance" on it. If only I knew a cacher I didn't like Smile
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
Whats wrong with ticks?
Bunganator wrote:
So, ticks, they really aren't that big of a deal, just annoying.

Ticks are not that big of an issue, it's the Lyme Disease that deer ticks can carry that can be quite dangerous.

With over 1000 reported cases of humans infected with lyme disease in Minnesota 2007 (compared to 101 cases of west nile) and since geocachers more so than many other groups face a greater risk of getting ticks I do take this quite seriously. Whenever we've been caching in a "tick country" or area with tall grass I carefully check myself in the evening. Last year I did find a deer tick stuck to me during such a check (after caching in Sunfish Lake in Lake Elmo). Since deer ticks have to stick to you for more than 24-48hrs to transfer lyme disease it is a prudent thing to do. The effects lyme disease can have on your central nervous system is nothing to discount.

-Jonas
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was the first year that I have ever had a deer tick (all out geocaching). I was lucky and managed to find them crawling on my skin before becoming attached. The more common brown tick does not carry Lyme, but they do carry some other nasty things. I hate using Deet (but I do use it). As soon as I spray it on, I can taste it (Yuk). Has anyone used a product like Sawyers Permethrin?
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Ahh, ticks. Twisted Evil

I think if I were a less ethical person I would collect them all, all year round in a bottle (the things never die). Then, release them into some unsuspecting cache, then mark "needs maintenance" on it. If only I knew a cacher I didn't like Smile

What did I do?.....and i thought we were freinds. Shocked Wink
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.

I used it all last year and then stuff called Jungle Juice I got at REI for the skin and never had one on me all last year.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned from some friends who have a cabin in tick country to always carry "ticker tape" with me. If you check yourself once back to your car, you can flick them off or use the scotch tape on them. The tape sticks to the back of the tick and pulls it off. You fold the tape over on itself and the tick is now "laminated" and ready to toss out. That way you know where it ended up. The dogs always get ticks despite using Frontline. I pulled 5 deer ticks off Charlie last summer that had all been on him over 48 hours. We give the dogs the Lyme vaccine as well.

I usually spray with Deet and that keeps them at bay. I have used premethrin as well.

Just don't make fun of my when I tuck my pants in my socks. Razz

Spike007 has had Lymes, and members of his family more than once! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: