MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GO BOBCAM! 5000 caches in 1 year!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f9c8bd69-936a-4776-9be4-640cad4fde24 I am confused with this one.... DNF but claims it as found?

It's not about the numbers right? Wink

Personally, I don't care if you find it or not. If you want to claim a find on one of my caches, so be it. We all play the game the way we want to. This isn't a game, there aren't any prizes, so no harm no foul.

Side note, I've heard many stories like this of the "top finders", that sometimes they don't "find" it, but claim it anyway. Doesn't bother me one bit.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f9c8bd69-936a-4776-9be4-640cad4fde24 I am confused with this one.... DNF but claims it as found?

It's not about the numbers right? Wink

Personally, I don't care if you find it or not. If you want to claim a find on one of my caches, so be it. We all play the game the way we want to. This isn't a game, there aren't any prizes, so no harm no foul.

Side note, I've heard many stories like this of the "top finders", that sometimes they don't "find" it, but claim it anyway. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I just couldn't do it. I might be weird but I actually feel bad if I can't get the container open but still log it as a find. I have come across two or three containers that were frozen shut but I still logged them taking a picture of the container if the cache owner wants it. I guess I am just weird.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

That's probably just a mistake, he probably meant to log it as a DNF. I do that sometimes but usually catch it.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
This isn't a game, there aren't any prizes, so no harm no foul.

"No harm no foul" isn't completely true. Logging "finds" when you really found nothing or perhaps a piece of plastic that might have once been the lid to the cache, hides the fact that the cache is missing from subsequent seekers. It can also make it hard for cache reviewers to determine whether or not a cache really is in need of attention or not.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

"No harm no foul" isn't completely true. Logging "finds" when you really found nothing or perhaps a piece of plastic that might have once been the lid to the cache, hides the fact that the cache is missing from subsequent seekers. It can also make it hard for cache reviewers to determine whether or not a cache really is in need of attention or not.

Very true and a very good point. Someone logs a find on it, I think that it is there and I will go out for it just thinking that it is a little harder if previous to that I see a couple DNFs. Thanks Surfer Joe! I am glad that you are able to think differently (as a reviewer).
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

You mean like this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=ac16a239-71b7-4567-915a-bb60e9da1ce7

However, I did find the cache Confused
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

Simple mistake. I've done it myelf. Did it just last weekend to Topgear's Evil Island, as a matter of fact. Topgear pointed out my mistake in an email, and I immediately corrected it (dang him!)

I'll shoot Bob an email to let him know. But consider that it is just 1/92nd of the caches he found that day!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

SJ, I see your point that as a reviewer it might matter, but as a cacher, I don't really care. Who am I to judge?

I also agree with paul and knowschad that is was probably an error. I have seen DNF logs from bobcam, so I know he's not entirely immune. Wink
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

You ever cached until you felt like dropping, or until you felt like death was just around the corner? I know for me I've gone until I didn't care if my GPS suddenly exploded requiring me to stop.

Maybe I'm ready for the 12-step program too?

Yes, I have. More than once, and always when caching with Bobcam. Felt like I was in a hot-dog eating contest and about ready to puke. I quit, he kept on caching.

I didn't run that part of my stats last time, but I think the most caches in a day for me was 63.

I think the where the number of finds most surprised me, though, was over in Wisconsin with Lucid. How many did we get that day, Lucid? 40 something, I think, and we were driving all over the county to do it!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:
So that means you guys are not real cachers?

We were just having fun BTW.

But I do ask the question.. when you're at 93, why wouldn't you attempt to find 8 more??

I'm guessing, but maybe he had already pushed his time to the edge to get those 93. Still had to get his room, set up the computer, log his caches, create the PQ for the next day, filter the PQ in GSAK, and create his infamous "LIST", answer his email, and hopefully get a couple hours of sleep before getting up before dawn the next day?
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:
So that means you guys are not real cachers?

We were just having fun BTW.

But I do ask the question.. when you're at 93, why wouldn't you attempt to find 8 more??

I'm guessing, but maybe he had already pushed his time to the edge to get those 93. Still had to get his room, set up the computer, log his caches, create the PQ for the next day, filter the PQ in GSAK, and create his infamous "LIST", answer his email, and hopefully get a couple hours of sleep before getting up before dawn the next day?

Wait a minute! He sleeps? And I thought I figured out how he was doing it. Laughing
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I think the where the number of finds most surprised me, though, was over in Wisconsin with Lucid. How many did we get that day, Lucid? 40 something, I think, and we were driving all over the county to do it!
I don't recall, but we made a huge hall despite tons of driving. Some days, no hide is safe!
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:

He didn't plan the whole trip beforehand??
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when I do a 30-40 cache day hitting that found button gets to be a habit even when it is a DNF, had one last week at a Socratz cache.
Bobcam DNFed one of my caches but corrected it a day latter.
Stuff happens.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
knowschad wrote:

He didn't plan the whole trip beforehand??

Well, now... thats a very good question Laughing

I don't think so, though. At least not completely. I think he got some tips from the folks he cached with last weekend along the Chaparral Trail. But I could be wrong. He IS a planner, that's for sure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: