MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TrueCrypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Wow... quite a find! At 2.2 lbs, you could just as simply use this as a paperless caching solution and with an SSD drive, you can expect a very fast startup.

Edit: fun with SSDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&fmt=22

That is a pretty cool video. My non SSD netbook starts up pretty fast, and I even Encrypted the entire drive using TrueCrypt (Free). Oddly when Steve Gibson of Security Now and GRC, did a test on speed of a out of the box computer, then after True Crypting the whole drive, the TrueCrypted drive was faster in every test.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Oddly when Steve Gibson of Security Now and GRC, did a test on speed of a out of the box computer, then after True Crypting the whole drive, the TrueCrypted drive was faster in every test.

I'd be interested in reading more about that one...

I TrueCrypt my browser store, which protects most of my online stuff (including passwords and such), but never considered the entire drive...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the true crypt test on the Security Now Podcast back in Feb of last year I think it was Episode #133

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

They have a transcript of the show, so if you prefer to read rather than listen you can.

My whole drive encryption works well, I have to enter a password just after POST and then it continues to load the OS, works very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encrypted my drive yesterday - works well - thanks for the tip. It was extremely easy to do.

I don't keep super-secret government secrets on my laptop or anything, but I like the idea that it will keep 99.99% of people (or more?) out of my data should my laptop be stolen. All for the simple hassle of entering my password on startup.
WindChill
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using TC on my development machine for a year or so. There is no noticeable slow down even compiling projects with several hundred files.

I dont have the whole drive encrypted though. I create a separate volume (about 1G a piece) for each client. That way there is no chance of one client seeing directory names of another client.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While conceptually I like the idea of encrypting everything, I've never been paranoid enough to do it. I run a secure file server at home so never carry any important data on my home PC or even my laptop for that matter. If my laptop ever gets stolen while caching, the most they'll get is a drive full of GPX and GSAK files. Have at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: