MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Car Mount
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of gps car mount do your use/prefer?
Suction
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Bean Bag
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Air Vent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
None (my spouse/friend holds it)
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
NeoAddict wrote:
We laugh in the face of the law and use a suction cup to attach our Nuvi to our windsheild while we travel.

It is illegal in BOTH WI and MN to have anything attached to your windshield besides your rear-view mirror, though I have yet to hear of any reports of people actually being fined for it. In fact, I do believe we were stopped for a speeding warning and we had our Nuvi attached and the Trooper said nothing about it...

This is kind of funny. The local radio station just was mentioning this this morning talking about GPS units attached to the window via suction cups. Basically what they said was that if it obstructs the view you can get stopped just for that, without actually having any other violation. Guess I wasn't aware of that.

I have from time to time used something like this but mine was low enough where it didn't obstruct the view. Would this still be in violation of the law?

We put ours up near the top edge of the windshield, so we actually have to look up to see it. Since I'm really short it doesn't impede my view at all. In fact, the rear-view mirror is more in my way that the Nuvi. Laughing

As Archer said, it all depends on what kind of day the trooper/sheriff is having I suppose. I figure that if that day ever happens, where I get pulled over just for that, I'll feign ignorance.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from Minnesota Statutes: Traffic Regulations
Code:

169.71 WINDSHIELD.
Subdivision 1.Prohibitions generally; exceptions.

(a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:

(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;

(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices; or

(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law or authorized by the state director of the Division of Emergency Management or the commissioner of public safety.

(b) Paragraph (a), clauses (2) and (3), do not apply to law enforcement vehicles.

(c) Paragraph (a), clause (2), does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

I think this is the one cited for stuff hanging from the rear-view mirror and items affixed to the windshield...now, how it applies to everything...I have no idea...but it is the closest I could find at the moment...

Edit: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169

Last edited by Draconisdax on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Depends on what kind of day the officer is having!!!

Code:
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices;

This would apply to anything between you and the windshield.

It doesn't really matter what kind of day the officer is having - that's only relevant when you consider if you're going to get stopped and/or get a ticket.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
Depends on what kind of day the officer is having!!!

Code:
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices;

This would apply to anything between you and the windshield.

It doesn't really matter what kind of day the officer is having - that's only relevant when you consider if you're going to get stopped and/or get a ticket.

I was just saying that an officer having a bad day is more likely to ticket you for a Windshield GPS Mount...

An officer having a good day is more likely to give you a warning...

Otherwise...yes...even those little things hanging off the Rear-view Mirror will get you into trouble...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: