MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Car Mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of gps car mount do your use/prefer?
Suction
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Bean Bag
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Air Vent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
None (my spouse/friend holds it)
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: GPS Car Mount Reply with quote

I am looking at buying a car mount for my garmin 60CSX, which I love. Of those of you out there who have car mounts for your handhelds, which kind of car mount do you prefer?

Suction cup
Air Vent
Bean Bag
none

Please reply and explain. thanks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this to Tech Talk.

You may want to look at this:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3164

I use the bean bag and love it - it will move around very little - I maybe have to put it in place once every great while, but otherwise it's very sturdy.

I use suction cup mounts for other things, but depending on the mount you'll get some vibration (especially ones with longer arms extending from the windshield), plus they leave marks on the window (plus they're illegal in MN, but that's never bothered me).
Millah
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the bean bag mount and also love it as there is suprisingly little movement on the dash while the car is in motion and it is easily transferrable to other vehicles. Additionally, it has reduced the number of times I've drifted into other lanes while fiddling with my 60 -- a bonus which should, but is not, advertised on the packaging.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Cabela's ad and they have a NavMat Portable GPS Dash Mount on sale for $19.99 regular price is $29.99. I may have to pick one up myself.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure (an could be wrong)...but I believe the suction-cup mounts when attached to a windshield are still illegal in Minnesota...(at least they were illegal when I started caching)...

With that being said...I use the suction-cup mount attached to my windshield...
Wink Laughing Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I use suction cup mounts for other things, but depending on the mount you'll get some vibration (especially ones with longer arms extending from the windshield), plus they leave marks on the window (plus they're illegal in MN, but that's never bothered me).

Cool
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin GPS V sits so nice on the dash, (or cup holder) that I never bother with the mount that came with it. Makes the transition between driving and hiking so much easier. I'm selecting 'other'.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the beanbag for several reasons, one of which is the option to take it off the dash and store it on the floor or backseat. I have heard too many stories about cars being broken into because a thief saw the GPSr mount and thought they could score the GPSr! Mad
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
I am not sure (an could be wrong)...but I believe the suction-cup mounts when attached to a windshield are still illegal in Minnesota...(at least they were illegal when I started caching)...

With that being said...I use the suction-cup mount attached to my windshield...
Wink Laughing Wink

Pear Head wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Cool

Yeah...I saw your post after posting mine...figure it doesn't hurt to repeat something like that...

Wink Laughing Wink
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We laugh in the face of the law and use a suction cup to attach our Nuvi to our windsheild while we travel.

It is illegal in BOTH WI and MN to have anything attached to your windshield besides your rear-view mirror, though I have yet to hear of any reports of people actually being fined for it. In fact, I do believe we were stopped for a speeding warning and we had our Nuvi attached and the Trooper said nothing about it...
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just shove them in the dashboard, right in front of the tachometer. It stay there very well and it doesnt obstruct my view. I was able to do this with my etrex legend and now my oregon, but i cant imagine it would work with the 60.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can prop my 76 between the dash and the windshield on one of my vehicles, but the other two it won't stay put at all, thus I need the mount.

The funny thing is that my mount is currently (for some reason I never grasp) in the vehicle that I don't need it in - I keep forgetting to grab it...
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new GPSr, and figured I would switch over to some other brands of mounts, and went with a bean bag style for the dash board. Used to have a suction mount on the windshield.

I liked the windshield mount, and now like the bean bag style. Not really a bean bag.

Now running with the RAM brand stuff, and that particular windshiled mount seemed much larger than what I had been using.

I also like being able to grab the whole setup and move it to a different vehicle. Like being able to toss it in rental cars too...

So far, so good...
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
We laugh in the face of the law and use a suction cup to attach our Nuvi to our windsheild while we travel.

It is illegal in BOTH WI and MN to have anything attached to your windshield besides your rear-view mirror, though I have yet to hear of any reports of people actually being fined for it. In fact, I do believe we were stopped for a speeding warning and we had our Nuvi attached and the Trooper said nothing about it...

This is kind of funny. The local radio station just was mentioning this this morning talking about GPS units attached to the window via suction cups. Basically what they said was that if it obstructs the view you can get stopped just for that, without actually having any other violation. Guess I wasn't aware of that.

I have from time to time used something like this but mine was low enough where it didn't obstruct the view. Would this still be in violation of the law?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
NeoAddict wrote:

This is kind of funny. The local radio station just was mentioning this this morning talking about GPS units attached to the window via suction cups. Basically what they said was that if it obstructs the view you can get stopped just for that, without actually having any other violation. Guess I wasn't aware of that.

I have from time to time used something like this but mine was low enough where it didn't obstruct the view. Would this still be in violation of the law?

Depends on what kind of day the officer is having!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: