MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Mapping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Garmin Mapping Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there is anyone out there who has a later version Garmin (which is map capable) but hasn't put maps on it, but if you would like free maps without the bells and whistles (navigation, etc), using openstreetmap and some tweaking, I was able to get the entire twin cities metro area into a map and have been testing it out...for the most part the streets are dead on. and it's free.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

To know if your Garmin is supported, go to the main menu then Setup, then Interface, if you see a button that says USB Mass Storage then you should be able to do it. I can send you the TC Metro map if you don't want to figure out how to create your own...just PM or email me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sokratz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to share the map you created? Very Happy That way I don't have to do all the work for myself.

Actually, I spent an hour or so today looking at it all. I'd like to get the entire US - in some sort of logical breakdown so the maps could be loaded onto GPS's with smaller amounts of memory.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokratz wrote:
Are you going to share the map you created? Very Happy That way I don't have to do all the work for myself.

As I said:
Sir_Zman wrote:
I can send you the TC Metro map if you don't want to figure out how to create your own...just PM or email me.

So yes, I'd be happy to send anyone the TC map I created...it's not big at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Openstreetmap DOES contain routing data, but it depends on whether the street names are loaded or not.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divercth wrote:
BTW, Openstreetmap DOES contain routing data, but it depends on whether the street names are loaded or not.

K, maybe it's just the free converter which converts to the Garmin .img file format that doesn't do the routing?
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

K, maybe it's just the free converter which converts to the Garmin .img file format that doesn't do the routing?

Could be. From what I'm reading, it sounds like they can only turn routing
on legally once people re-enter street names, etc...

I guess there's been a lot more data uploaded in the last 8-12 months or so, cause the area around my apartment looked pretty well fleshed out on the web server.

The current OSM->Garmin IMG page on Openstreetmap's WIKI lists 3 programs that can export the routing data.

Now if I could just find an open source program that'll let me edit the DNR's ESRI files for the state park trails and convert them into IMGs. *sigh*

Oh well, I'm pretty much brain-fried from my current web-slog. The good news is I think I'm only 3 .DEB packages away from being able to edit the DNR data.

Current Mood: Confused
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divercth wrote:
Now if I could just find an open source program that'll let me edit the DNR's ESRI files for the state park trails and convert them into IMGs. *sigh*

Silent Bob may be of some use - he's done a fair amount of work with converting files such as these.

You may want to search on his blog (http://www.lazylightning.org) and post a comment in a similar thread, or just email him.
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. Any and all help is appreciated. Afraid I'm gonna have to look into that tomorrow, I can't see straight any more.

In other news, it looks like the shp2osm.pl script still doesn't have enough libraries to want to run.

Gods I hate PERL. Crying or Very sad
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What maps are you looking for? There are several good sites out there that contain FREE maps for Gamin GPSrs. These site do include US states and cities.
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
What maps are you looking for? There are several good sites out there that contain FREE maps for Gamin GPSrs. These site do include US states and cities.

I'm looking for a semi-transparent layer with all the walking trails for the MN state parks and 3-rivers district parks.

As far as I know there aren't any pre-compiled maps for these, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Routable OpenStreetMap Maps with MapSource Installer! Reply with quote

So check out this link: This is a service that provides the OpenStreetMap maps as a Garmin Mapsource Install for FREE. You go to the link, select the files you want, and it sends you a download link. Then the maps are installed into mapsource (which is also free). I have been using this and it works well with modern GPS units. I have used it on my older etrex Vista, but it was pretty pokey.

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

The maps there are updated regularly by people like us! To make updates, go to the OpenStreetMap website and create an account. Read the tutorial on Potlatch (the software you use to make updates) and get busy!

http://www.openstreetmap.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: