MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for February Cache of the Month!

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should receive Cache Of The Month honors for February 2009?
Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
TopGear's Evil Island
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
How Low Can You Go
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Come to the Holiday ball.
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
Millah
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Aug 2007

Posts: 67
Location: St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Vote for February Cache of the Month! Reply with quote

It's that time folks...please cast your vote for the MnGCA February Cache Of The Month. Voting will continue through the end of the month -- only 8 days so cast your vote! The nominees are as follows:

GC1H32A: Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung by bflentje
nominated by Bunganator

I think it is about time that Bart's Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A) is nominated for COTM. Actually, if I may, this series must be nominated as a whole. This series is more accessible for me than many other cachers, since I live in the south metro and the one cache that is not near the others is the closest to my house. Many cachers, however, have made the trek out to this series. Each and every cache in the series was out of the ordinary and required a lot of effort to make and place. I did this with my dad, brother, and we each brought along our non-caching ladies, and even they enjoyed them all. There is not much more to say because words really cannot do justice to this series as a whole.

seconded by Norvina

All logs have repeatedly mentioned this to be the best cache they have ever found and comment on the effort involved. I totally agree. It is part of the Halloween theme series, with much creativity and workmanship put into play, which makes this a perfect finale for the bonus. One is totally unprepared for this one!! Finding the other 12 to get the coordinates for this one is well worth the effort of any cacher! One only wonders how this can be outdone next year.


GC1JV10: TopGear's Evil Island by TopGear
Nominated by DonB!

Of all the caches placed in Minnesota (or at least the Metro area), none have drawn more people in such a quick time as this one. There were 19 DNFs before Grey Wolf finally made the FTF (and it was his 3rd time out there). This cache had 24 watchers watching it before it was even found. If you read the logs, no one was upset about not finding it, but instead took the challenge and continued the search later on. Many logs tell about "all of the great new friends we met while out here", and that is one of the main reasons I nominate this for cache of the month: it brought many cachers together, under one cause, and furthered the reason I like Geocaching. THIS IS A FRIENDLY SPORT. I have not found this one yet. TopGear stood there and watched me search, but he said, "No hints for YOU!"

seconded by fireman121

I would like to second "TopGear's Evil Island" ITS EVIL!!!!!!


GC1GM0E: How Low Can You Go by Jaklimber
nominated by mazzmn

Everyone has lows and highs in geocaching, Jaklimber has brought many highs to our caching crew with lots of creative hides. I'd like to nominate GC1GM0E - How Low Can You Go for COTM and encourage you all to hit it while it's still here. Note, as of this posting, this cache is on two bookmark lists, Favorite Caches and Cream of the Crop, so apparently others agree.


GC1A6QN: Come to the Holiday ball. by Jakerdad
nominated by Wylbur

"Come to the Holiday ball" is placed in a local environment in a very busy and well-traveled area that is accessible and challenging. The cache is well thought-out, and uses existing conditions to its advantage. The landscape also 'tricks' our caching senses, and sends us on the goose-chases of what we have found before. Some time and energy went into the crafting of the cache itself, and it shows in the execution.

To nominate an urban micro is a bold statement. The urban Twin City landscape is littered with countless small micro caches, many tucked in the nooks and creaks that catch the placerís fancy. This "micropia" makes us cynical of the micros, which have their place in the caching world. Cacher Jakerdad has created a little micro masterpiece here in Edina for us to find. After finding the cache I say - long live the Micro!

The vote will not start until February 20th to give everyone who wishes an opportunity to find the nominated caches. If you find or have found these and wish to comment on any of them, please post a reply in this thread.

Nominations for March COTM can be posted here.

Thanks!

Tim (Millah)


Last edited by Millah on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spinowner
Geocacher


Joined: 25 Nov 2004

Posts: 582
Location: Plymouth, MN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a comment here is not out of line. I have only found one of the above four nominees. I have a problem with that one in that it is hidden on private property without permission from the property owner. If that factor is something that would affect your vote I'd be happy to tell you which one it is if you PM me. (Or you could figure it out by investigating my finds.) If such a hide doesn't bother you feel free to vote as you see fit. I'm not naming the cache here to avoid any bias for those who aren't bothered a cache being hidden in this way.
_________________
Sig line? I don't need no stinking sig line!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I hope a comment here is not out of line. I have only found one of the above four nominees. I have a problem with that one in that it is hidden on private property without permission from the property owner. If that factor is something that would affect your vote I'd be happy to tell you which one it is if you PM me. (Or you could figure it out by investigating my finds.) If such a hide doesn't bother you feel free to vote as you see fit. I'm not naming the cache here to avoid any bias for those who aren't bothered a cache being hidden in this way.


It's not Halloween 2008: Coughing Up A Lung. Unless someone moved it that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I hope a comment here is not out of line. I have only found one of the above four nominees. I have a problem with that one in that it is hidden on private property without permission from the property owner. If that factor is something that would affect your vote I'd be happy to tell you which one it is if you PM me. (Or you could figure it out by investigating my finds.) If such a hide doesn't bother you feel free to vote as you see fit. I'm not naming the cache here to avoid any bias for those who aren't bothered a cache being hidden in this way.


Just so we're a bit more clear on the cache in question that Spinowner is referring to, at worst, it'd be no different than a skirt lifter in a strip mall parking lot. But the cache is literally on the property line and who's to say who really owns the barrier. I personally think the cache is as free as any like it. It could also be argued that the area in question is right-of-way, owned by Edina, the state, or even Metro Transit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timewellspent
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Mar 2008

Posts: 697
Location: Chanhassen, MN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Just so we're a bit more clear on the cache in question that Spinowner is referring to, at worst, it'd be no different than a skirt lifter in a strip mall parking lot. But the cache is literally on the property line and who's to say who really owns the barrier. I personally think the cache is as free as any like it. It could also be argued that the area in question is right-of-way, owned by Edina, the state, or even Metro Transit.


Took the words right out of my mouth. Only the cache in question is 100 times better than a skirt lifter. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Just so we're a bit more clear on the cache in question that Spinowner is referring to, at worst, it'd be no different than a skirt lifter in a strip mall parking lot. But the cache is literally on the property line and who's to say who really owns the barrier. I personally think the cache is as free as any like it. It could also be argued that the area in question is right-of-way, owned by Edina, the state, or even Metro Transit.


Took the words right out of my mouth. Only the cache in question is 100 times better than a skirt lifter. Very Happy


It was a good one. I'd still vote for it if it so happened to be better than another cache listed.. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5676
Location: north of Duluth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversation of MnGCA endorsement of COTM caches has moved (to the members-only area). Sorry for the delay.

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4406
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
It was a good one. I'd still vote for it if it so happened to be better than another cache listed.. Wink

I voted for it, because your cache was way ahead anyway.. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.