MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventure Racing anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Adventure Racing anyone? Reply with quote

Anyone interested in getting a team or two together to do an adventure race(s)?

What's an adventure race?

Think of it like geocaching "old school". No GPS, no car. You navigate with a map and compass looking for checkpoints (think caches that only hold a punch and you take the log book with you and punch your log book when you get there). The modes of transportation can be different depending on the race, but standards are your feet, your bike (usually mountain), and usually a canoe or kayak. They also tend to throw in a ropes/repel section as well [if its anything too crazy that they believe you need to be certified for [like serious climbing, scuba diving, etc] they let you know before the race] and some mystery challenges [think of them like easy puzzle caches!]. Some examples of mystery challenges that I've heard of are ringing a bell that's up a tree, trying to get a bulls-eye in archery, getting your team across an area with only 3 feet touching the ground, pulling out buckthorn, planting a tree, etc, etc.

Traditional teams are 4 people with at least one member of each sex. Some races allow teams of 2 (coed & 'open' [any sex]).

While this IS a race, I'm not looking to set any land speed records. I don't think this is going to be the year I lose the 20 (ok 40) pounds and become an athlete. I'm just looking to go out and have a good time and hopefully finish.

Looks like the Wild Adventure Race folks are putting on 4 this year (the Spring one in Red Wing, the rest just have dates at this point):

http://www.wildadventurerace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=32

* Spring 3-hour (beginner) and 12hour - Saturday, May 9th, 2009 in Red Wing, MN
* Summer 6-hour - Saturday, June 13th, 2009
* Hot Summer Night 6-hour - Saturday, August 8th, 2009
* Fall 24-hour - Friday-Saturday, September 18-19th, 2009

And the Minnesota Orienteering Club (http://www.mnoc.org/schedule.shtml) has one on July 11, 2009.

If you are interested, reply here, send me a PM or email marksteffel at gmail dot com. Heck maybe we could even race as 'Team MnGCA' if we are all from here and the board gives us the ok.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an updated version of orienteering- even though we coached an orienteering team when they existed with the State High School League, we will pass this time around - sounds like fun though.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN NOT go wrong doing a Wild Adventure race run by Dan and Rebecca!!!!!!!!!! Smile
They put on A++ events!!

i've done the Red Wing 12 hr. twice, once as a 2 person team, then the 2nd time was the 4 person open (2 guys/2gals). i liked the 2 person much better than the 4 person, but that's just me.
dropping over the edges of the bluffs (during the ?repell?) around Red Wing was a BLAST!!!!

i haven't done much racing lately (having a 2 yr. old, and working like a rented mule, kind of put the brakes on racing), i've been helping out with the 24 hr. race they put on at giants ridge every fall for the past 4 years. i always say Wild AR = great people x better times!!!!

i ride my mountain bike around 2,500 miles a year, (let's just say i save big bucks not going to the head dr. Laughing ), i was doing a lot of 24 hr, and endurance type racing, and a buddy of mine said you ever think about adventure racing?? i said what's that, (see 1st post), Shocked
i was at the point of........ i can only ride around in a circle through the woods some many times before i needed to try something different.
adventure racing is different, but very very rewarding also!!
it's a freaking FUN TIME!!

we did race, and train with 3 females that now live in the metro area, so if you don't get any takers here (MNGCA) i could steer you in their direction, if you'd like. i know one of them is quite active at www.morcmtb.org

Peace,
Joboo
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like if you did it you'd be on the 'in shape' team. Wink I don't think I've biked 250 miles in my lifetime.

You'll find all sorts of people doing adventure races. I've done two adventure races, one 4 team, one 2 team and they both many years ago. I do it more for the adventure than the race. I'm not that good of a mountain biker or paddler, and while I used to be an ok runner, I need to get back in shape. I have done a bit of orienteering and am ok at reading the map and compass. In those two races I have done I did most/all of the navigation, but am ok if someone else does it or a collaborative navigation effort.

But if there aren't any taker here, I'll might take you up on the offer on getting in touch with female bikers. Thanks!
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Sounds like if you did it you'd be on the 'in shape' team. Wink I don't think I've biked 250 miles in my lifetime.

You'll find all sorts of people doing adventure races. I've done two adventure races, one 4 team, one 2 team and they both many years ago. I do it more for the adventure than the race. I'm not that good of a mountain biker or paddler, and while I used to be an ok runner, I need to get back in shape. I have done a bit of orienteering and am ok at reading the map and compass. In those two races I have done I did most/all of the navigation, but am ok if someone else does it or a collaborative navigation effort.

But if there aren't any taker here, I'll might take you up on the offer on getting in touch with female bikers. Thanks!

i like to eat and drink to much to be thrown in the "in shape" crowd!!?? Laughing
sadly, what i liked most was the mnt. biking. i'm alright with the paddling (as long as i'm in the front), map and compass doesn't interest me, i blame that on caching........ Shocked

i forgot to mention that i hate running with a passion!!!!!
if i had a choice between running and death, i'd chose death!!?? Shocked Laughing

just let me know what's up, so i can give the girls a heads up.

Peace,
Joboo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: