MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolling your own maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  

If the DNR had a downloadable set of hiking trail maps, would you use them?
Yes, but only if they automatically worked with my existing software.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Yes, as long as it didn't take too much work to install them.
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
No, I love relying on the base map.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No, why bother - the $40 ones from http://www.gpssledmaps.com are cheap enough.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Rolling your own maps Reply with quote

I know that part of this was covered in the Topo Trail Maps discussion, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience in rolling their own maps.

According to some of the sites I've looked at, it should be possible to make maps using only free programs, but I'd like to know if anyone's had much luck with that.

It took me about half an hour to find the correct files, but I'm finally in the process of downloading LandView and MARPLOT (thank you so much the US Census Bureau) [Wink].

Ultimately, I'd like to see us having a free set of downloadable maps similar to the set that the MN Snowmobiling Association is selling for $40.
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, does anyone have a copy of the DNR-branded version of LandView? It's a government-created public domain program, but the USGS and EPA charge about $150 for "media duplication services" if you order it direct from them. Their FAQs say it's OK to copy, but you'll need dual-layer DVD-Rs

I saw a ranger working with it and she was able to download a USGS satellite image and draw a trail over top it. I've also found a few opensource GIS apps that look promising.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rolling your own maps Reply with quote

divercth wrote:

Ultimately, I'd like to see us having a free set of downloadable maps similar to the set that the MN Snowmobiling Association is selling for $40.

The site isn't run by the MN Snowmobiling Association - it's run by a private individual in MN.

He also offers a free map of the trails, it just doesn't have all of the 'extras' on it...
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divercth wrote:
BTW, does anyone have a copy of the DNR-branded version of LandView? It's a government-created public domain program, but the USGS and EPA charge about $150 for "media duplication services" if you order it direct from them. Their FAQs say it's OK to copy, but you'll need dual-layer DVD-Rs

I saw a ranger working with it and she was able to download a USGS satellite image and draw a trail over top it. I've also found a few opensource GIS apps that look promising.

This had me going for awhile - it looks like there are 2 programs named Landview, both do GIS, but are otherwise unrelated. Landview 5 is the Census Bureau's program. The DNR offers online map delivery through their Landview Page - very cool for online access to data, although I see some bugs in the data (e.g. the State Forest layer only shows named state forests, not state forest parcels). Finally, DNR has an standalone program called Landview, but it's not public domain software.

But, for a source of free MN GIS data, the MN DNR Data Deli is the place - you can download digital topos, orthoquad & FSA photos, ownership, roads, all that good stuff. If the census Landview doesn't pan out, check out ESRI's ArcExplorer program, a viewer for GIS shapefiles. You'll be rolling your own in no time...
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:

This had me going for awhile - it looks like there are 2 programs named Landview, both do GIS, but are otherwise unrelated. Landview 5 is the Census Bureau's program. The DNR offers online map delivery through their Landview Page - very cool for online access to data, although I see some bugs in the data (e.g. the State Forest layer only shows named state forests, not state forest parcels). Finally, DNR has an standalone program called Landview, but it's not public domain software.

But, for a source of free MN GIS data, the MN DNR Data Deli is the place - you can download digital topos, orthoquad & FSA photos, ownership, roads, all that good stuff. If the census Landview doesn't pan out, check out ESRI's ArcExplorer program, a viewer for GIS shapefiles. You'll be rolling your own in no time...

Thanks,

I'd been having mixed results with the Data Deli, but I wasn't aware of the DNR LandView site. ArcExplorer looked promising, but it only has a 30 day trial for all the features you need to build a map.

Right now, I'm working through the tutorials on an opensource program called QuantumGIS that works with just about every format under the sun, including ESRI format shapefiles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: