MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon 400t
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incrediblemagpie wrote:
When they come out with the phone/car starter/car retreiver/camera/handwarmer/xray viewer/avalanche beacon/etc unit I'll be back in line. For today, it's tough to beat to Oregon.

AMEN!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an Oregon 400t for my birthday last week. So far it looks like a lot of fun, but I haven't been able to do any real caching with it yet. I made a couple of practice runs by downloading a couple of previously found caches near home and went out.

Now, what I am really kind of embarrassed to ask. How the heck do I delete found caches from the Oregon? I can delete waypoints easy enough, but the downloaded caches seem to be there forever. I would rather fill up the memory with stuff I still need to find, once I transfer my found data to the internet.

I am not too concerned about the cold weather performance. The Oregon's screen is very similar to my tomtom, which has sat in my frozen car for weeks w/o being turned on, then snaps right into work mode for me.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to delete Geocaches directly on the Oregon. You have to connect to a computer via USB and manually delete the .GPX file(s)
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party, but I'm looking at getting an 400t. Am I correct that the 40% off coupons are long since expired? What price did you pay (with the coupon)? Looks like the best price now is around $490 (amazon) with a $50 rebate from Garmin. Does anyone know of any better deals?
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for the latest and greatest. You might want to hold off for a month or two and see what new features the Oregon 500t will have. Internet rumors are buzzing that it will be coming out shortly, the only known added feature so far is a built-in camera. I would not be surprised if a brighter screen is also one of the new features but that's pure speculation on my part. The rumors have list price for the 500t at $599.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/15/garmin-oregon-500-series-with-built-in-camera-leaks-out/

-Jonas
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
I'm late to the party, but I'm looking at getting an 400t. Am I correct that the 40% off coupons are long since expired? What price did you pay (with the coupon)? Looks like the best price now is around $490 (amazon) with a $50 rebate from Garmin. Does anyone know of any better deals?

Yep, your late to the party. Wink The coupons expired on Dec 31 2008.

Good luck on finding a good deal. Maybe watch craigslist, or the gc forums for someone looking to sell theirs. You may find a better price.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw mention of the 500t - something newer/better(?) on the horizon. Isn't that always the case?

The camera feature doesn't interest me. A brighter screen would, though from what I've read, people aren't too hindered by the screen brightness (opinions anyone?).

Now if the new model caused the 400t price to drop, that'd be worth waiting for.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" but it appears there are a lot more features that we don't know about and aren't yet using. Our biggest help has been meeting up with other Oregon users who provide tips, or help us customize to a more user friendly format."

We just got back from 10 weeks of caching in the SE - never did get to try ours out in cold weather- but we love the OREGON 400T. The others we had- etrex, G5, never felt user friendly to me so only bird dog used them- this one is so very easy for me to use. Never regret the purchase.

We agree with the quote above- still have many features to learn about and learned on our trip- mostly from cache owners- seems a lot of people have these units- when we went to log an answer to a question for credit- we asked if we couldn't answer a question differently because our O400T didn't have the feature to get the answer- the owner wrote back that he was the owner of a 400T and he told us how to get to the feature we needed to answer the question- had a good laugh over that one-
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else having trouble downloading caches into their Oregon or any other gps? Starting last night I get an "500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed" message.

This morning I was able to successfully update my gps with the latest version of software, so the gps seems to be working okay. I have gotten this error message on two pc's, so I can't blame my computer.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble downloading caches into their Oregon or any other gps? Starting last night I get an "500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed" message.

This morning I was able to successfully update my gps with the latest version of software, so the gps seems to be working okay. I have gotten this error message on two pc's, so I can't blame my computer.

I have not ran an update in a few weeks.... and have not seen that yet. I am still able to load geocaches.

Let me know if you get it fixed though!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin tech support told me a lot of people have been contacting them, but the problem is with geocaching.com, and geocaching.com is working on a solution. They also told me the problem is new today, but I had the problem starting yesterday. I suppose new today means he heard about it today.

Yesterday I did download a half dozen or so caches when geocaching went down for a short time. Since that interuption I have not been able to download. I wonder if it had anything to do with me being plugged in and downloading when the interuption took place.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally do a Pocket Query and then just transfer the file over.... I think that is the easiest way.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:

This is being reported by others as well. Definitely a GC.com problem. Have you checked today? It may have been fixed in yesterday's code release.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was looking at the update page on the gc forums. They added attributes to the pocket queries. Now we'll be able to sort/filter caches in GSAK by those attributes.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=235228

Geocache attributes have been added to Pocket Queries
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:

This is being reported by others as well. Definitely a GC.com problem. Have you checked today? It may have been fixed in yesterday's code release.

Yes, it was a GC.com problem, which was resolved last night. Thanks. All is well. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: