MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mirror Harddrives

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Mirror Harddrives Reply with quote

Hey you techie types.
Could anyone tell me in English how I can mirror 2 external hard drives. If that is not the right term what I want to do is, when I back up anything to external hard drive A it will also go to B.
Does that make sense?
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Harddrives Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Hey you techie types.
Could anyone tell me in English how I can mirror 2 external hard drives. If that is not the right term what I want to do is, when I back up anything to external hard drive A it will also go to B.
Does that make sense?


Yes, you will need to find a RAID compatible external hard drive system. From there, the manufacturer should tell you how to configure the drives to mirror the disks.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Harddrives Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Hey you techie types.
Could anyone tell me in English how I can mirror 2 external hard drives. If that is not the right term what I want to do is, when I back up anything to external hard drive A it will also go to B.
Does that make sense?


Yes, you will need to find a RAID compatible external hard drive system. From there, the manufacturer should tell you how to configure the drives to mirror the disks.


Dumb question #1
Is that software or hardware?
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5708

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Harddrives Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Hey you techie types.
Could anyone tell me in English how I can mirror 2 external hard drives. If that is not the right term what I want to do is, when I back up anything to external hard drive A it will also go to B.
Does that make sense?


Yes, you will need to find a RAID compatible external hard drive system. From there, the manufacturer should tell you how to configure the drives to mirror the disks.


Dumb question #1
Is that software or hardware?


RAID can be either, in your case though you're looking for software (unless you have deep pockets).

My guess is that someone here can point you to some free software that does what you're looking for. You'll need to specify your operating system.

These are USB drives?
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Harddrives Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Hey you techie types.
Could anyone tell me in English how I can mirror 2 external hard drives. If that is not the right term what I want to do is, when I back up anything to external hard drive A it will also go to B.
Does that make sense?


Yes, you will need to find a RAID compatible external hard drive system. From there, the manufacturer should tell you how to configure the drives to mirror the disks.


Dumb question #1
Is that software or hardware?


Well technically both. You will need a external HD system with 2 drives in it. That's the hardware. Then there will be software that will control the RAID, ie mirroring, of the drives. You will need an enclosure that has 2 drives in it. Try googling for usb raid storage. It's not cheap to do. Expect to put a few hundred bucks into this.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 usb external hard drives, 250 gb and 650 gb
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I have 2 usb external hard drives, 250 gb and 650 gb

Sure you complicate this by having 2 different sized drives. Wink
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5708

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
I have 2 usb external hard drives, 250 gb and 650 gb

Sure you complicate this by having 2 different sized drives. Wink


Then your max storage for the unit will be limited to 250.

I've seen software RAID done in some Windows environments, although I can't recall exactly which ones. I've not seen it done with external drives, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.. It's just finding the right software.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5708

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to use SyncToy from Microsoft to do what you're looking for. I did a little reading on it and installed it, but I don't have the same setup that you do so I'm not entirely sure if it will work for you or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5708

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
You may be able to use SyncToy from Microsoft to do what you're looking for. I did a little reading on it and installed it, but I don't have the same setup that you do so I'm not entirely sure if it will work for you or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx


I was able to simulate your setup. This should work for you. Email me if you need further help.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. I'm going to try this myself.

Thanks PH!
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4054

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
You may be able to use SyncToy from Microsoft to do what you're looking for. I did a little reading on it and installed it, but I don't have the same setup that you do so I'm not entirely sure if it will work for you or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx


I've been playing with this tool extensively over the last few weeks. And while it is very cool and works well, it does not work as a native service. In other words, you have to actually tell it to do a synch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4054

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While SynchToy cannot maintain a live, up to the second mirror, it does have a command line interface and can be scheduled using the Windows Scheduled Tasks in the Control Panel.

I've been interested in this tool for backup reasons. I've got a Windows server. It contains four drives in two pairs. Each pair is mirrored with RAID on the motherboard to give me redundency. I then use SynchToy to mirror data on the four drives above to an external USB2 drive. It's not a perfect system. But it's better than the average user doing NO backups and it's cheaper than maintaining a set of SCSI SCA servers by a long shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.