MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mn State Park Geocaching History Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSequoia wrote:
Well team BigSequioa swung through the final cache last saturday. We heard there would be some people coming in on sunday right behind us but we finished up and took coin #87. Anne (the female half of the team) was getting a bit crabby as we treked through the thigh high (for her) snow on the way out as we did a little off roading. When we found the cache I took to the box and gave her the log book to sign. I set the cache on the ground andgot on my knees to rummage through the goodies left inside. I slipped her engagement ring in the cache and gave the box back to her and asked her if anybody left anything worth taking. I think it will be tough to top the final cache for her. She forgot all about the deep snow on the way back to the office where her parents were waiting.

Took Daimond Ring, Left Nothing

Congrats!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSequoia wrote:
Well team BigSequioa swung through the final cache last saturday. We heard there would be some people coming in on sunday right behind us but we finished up and took coin #87. Anne (the female half of the team) was getting a bit crabby as we treked through the thigh high (for her) snow on the way out as we did a little off roading. When we found the cache I took to the box and gave her the log book to sign. I set the cache on the ground andgot on my knees to rummage through the goodies left inside. I slipped her engagement ring in the cache and gave the box back to her and asked her if anybody left anything worth taking. I think it will be tough to top the final cache for her. She forgot all about the deep snow on the way back to the office where her parents were waiting.

Congratulations! What fun! Thanks for sharing your "Find" with us!
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cool. Congrats on the engagement and completing the challenge.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple that caches together stays together?

Congrats!

Jam3s
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
A couple that caches together stays together?

Congrats!

Jam3s

Yeah, explain that one to my wife and kids.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks. This is the end of the Minnesota History Challenge. Today I pulled the Jay Cooke SP and the NE Regional Final.

I felt this was a positive experience for me and I hope for others as well.

There were a few things that we all learned along the way on this series. I'm hoping that we learned from the things that went well and from the things that didn't. The new series is a bit different and I hope it addresses some of the problems the DNR had with geocaching in the parks. I hope it aleviates some of the issues that we (geocachers) had also.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that invested your time, effort and gas money in this Challenge. The series was made possible because of the volunteers and their willingness to work with their local parks.

Thank you, thank you all.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSequoia wrote:

Congratulations on the engagement and on a very cool way to end the challenge!
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if it might be an idea to have the caches that are on in the State Parks to have some kinda of note to not leave trackables in the caches due to the state parks staff giving out the coords to all the muggles. I think that we should try to save our trackables as I know that I have invested money in them and I would not like mine placed there anymore.

Also might it be possible to make a recommendation to the DNR that they do not have trackables as well so that again we do not have them in the caches in the state parks?

What does everyone else think?
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those caches - red-lined-through today - it seems so sad. Thanks for the memories to all who worked on this!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
All of those caches - red-lined-through today - it seems so sad.

Thank Goodness it's over! Wink J/K, it was fun and worth the experience. I wouldn't have gone to Garden Island without the challenge.

Looking forward to the safari challenge.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this geocache challenge was a great thing. I had grand plans to complete the challenge & was off to a good start beginning with McCarthy Beach, the North Shore, followed by the Garden Island Venture & some metro parks. Things were looking real fine -- 3 months off in the summer and plenty of parks to explore. I wound up with an unfortunate event (tick!?!) after my visit to Bearhead and Tower in mid July, that put me in room 333 for a couple weeks & out of the running for the rest of the summer .... into fall. After testing the waters in October again, I realized that I wasn't healed up enough to go after the southern parks. It took me awhile to "get over it," but finally I have (I think!). I always spend a ton of time on the North Shore so really enjoyed those parks. It was good to have my eyes opened up to some of the other parks in our state that I haven't been to. It was grand to finally make it to Hayes Lake. I did gain several stamps in my passport book along the way and several passwords added to my hiking club book. All in all, it was a lot of fun to be a part of the challenge. Met some great cachers along the way and had a ton of fun. Thanks to those of you who put forth the effort to make this all happen. Well done.... Now.. about the critters... Laughing
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, northtrekker. I hate ticks. I hope you are fully recovered and can enjoy all aspects of life now, not just geocaching.

Charlie has the Lyme vaccine - it has saved his life, I believe. We also put Frontline on him. We still pulled at least 5 engourged deer ticks off of him this year after our geocaching exploits.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
I hear ya, northtrekker. I hate ticks. I hope you are fully recovered and can enjoy all aspects of life now, not just geocaching.

Charlie has the Lyme vaccine - it has saved his life, I believe. We also put Frontline on him. We still pulled at least 5 engourged deer ticks off of him this year after our geocaching exploits.

I am glad me AND my mutt both have very short hair.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
Well folks. This is the end of the Minnesota History Challenge. Today I pulled the Jay Cooke SP and the NE Regional Final.

I felt this was a positive experience for me and I hope for others as well.

There were a few things that we all learned along the way on this series. I'm hoping that we learned from the things that went well and from the things that didn't. The new series is a bit different and I hope it addresses some of the problems the DNR had with geocaching in the parks. I hope it aleviates some of the issues that we (geocachers) had also.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that invested your time, effort and gas money in this Challenge. The series was made possible because of the volunteers and their willingness to work with their local parks.

Thank you, thank you all.

Esko, I just wanted to thank you for the work you put in to the State Park's first entry into geocaching. I know that you had to put up with a lot. Thanks for answering all my questions last year.
It is sad to see those caches go away.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have extra cards from the 2008 challenge if anyone is needing to finish their collection: If no one here wants them, I'll post them on eBay or Craigs List for postage. I have the following cards (that my daughters picked up):

Savanna Portage (1)
Bear Head Lake (2)
You Did It 72 Parks (3) -- insurance, read my final log for more info
Gooseberry (1)
McCarthy Beach (2)
Scenic (1)
Myre Big Island (1)
Latsch (1)
Whitewater (2)
Split Rock Creek (1)
Flandrau (1)
Lake Carlos (1)
Lake Bemidji (1)
Big Bog (2)
Lindberg (1)
Hennepin (1)
Glacial Lakes (1)
Garden Island (4) -- I was the top secret card carrier, Paklid can confirm
Big Stone (1)
You Did It NE (1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: