MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

placing caches in state parks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: placing caches in state parks Reply with quote

Does any one have a contact email for within the state parks systems
for placing caches within the state parks besides the park challenge caches. We put in applications for 2 other cache within camden state park
back in july. we have received copies of emails sent to the park manager saying the caches have been approved, but have not received an email or u.s. postal system with approval. so who would we contact to get the official approval that needs to be forwarded to surfer joe to get the caches published.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your having a problem. But this is one of the issues we face when we need permits for caching. Similar things happen in the metro with city and county permits where required. Unfortunately in most cases there isn't much that can be done outside of emailing the person responsible for reviewing the permits. And in this case from reading the permit, it's the park managers responsibility. So you would have to bug them. However, you might also be able to contact the state DNR office if you aren't receiving any responses from the park manager. I would suggest contacting the state office from the DNR website at: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/index.html

SJ's home page has the caching rules for MN that can be found at: http://www.bitatatime.net/surferjoe/land_management.html

I hope that helps.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really suggest bugging the park manager hard first.

If you go over his or her head then it's likely that it will generate some harsh feelings, justified or not.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park system is a bit reluctant to approve caches now because they are evaluating the affect of the history caches and the placement of the new caches.
That being said Pear Head is right, do not go over the park staffs heads with out there consent.
I had 2 caches approved and got the email approval from the people that do that kind of thing. My park staff contacted him and he said the email was good enough.
Now, Surfer Joe wants the hard copy but reluctantly took the email version. He posted it in the logs of the cache and gave his approval. He would like to have some consistency from the state. I would PM Surfer Joe and see what he says and attach the state email.

I am hoping to make inroads into this part of the State Parks geocaching policy so we know what the rules (written and unwritten) are.

If we cultivate a good relationship with "your" park they may us you as a consultant or expert on geocaches/letterboxes. They have used me in that aspect and asked my opinion on an Earthcache and a letterbox that had applied to be in the park.

Seeing as your are already approved, go for it.
In my opinion now is not a great time to put caches into the state parks.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I too agree that you should bug your park manager and not go over his/her head. I was just informing you that the DNR also has a state office that you can contact.

Sorry for the confusion.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a very good relationship with Camden and they have contacted us on many occassions for help and question, also to setup a gecocaching progam that they used for a youth group outing. the park had wanted us to place the two caches we submitted in hopes to give cachers more than just the history challenge cache to hunt. they were very happy when we contacted them about the new cache event and glad we are working with them on this new one. we have been in contacted with our park manager weeking in regaurds to the caches. they are even surprised that have not received approval other than the email to the park ranger.

we received email from SJ and he informedus that an emailed or faxed copy of the cache approval is what he is looking for.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our park manager we are working with is on vacation till the 5th of january and will be sending copies of the emails from the main office
stating the caches are approved along with letting us know they have no problem with contacting the main office to get the hardcopy of the approval. the caches were placed in place at the park with much anticipation of being published by the park as us. now just waiting for hard copy of approval to get to surfer joe. cache pages created and waiting now. the park was hoping it all would be done by september.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe requires an actual hard copy? Wow. This may be a different topic but that's something I think is a bit extreme.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I do not require a hard copy. I ask that a scanned (or even photographed copy of the approved permit be emailed to me to assure the the State Park policy has been followed.

I would much prefer a system like we have with Three Rivers Parks and Ramsey County Parks where I get copied on the approval emails from the district administrator. Unfortunately the State Parks approvals are done by the individual parks, not by a central administrator and they require a paper permit rather than electronic.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
I would much prefer a system like we have with Three Rivers Parks and Ramsey County Parks where I get copied on the approval emails from the district administrator. Unfortunately the State Parks approvals are done by the individual parks, not by a central administrator and they require a paper permit rather than electronic.

Government working with paper instead of electronic documents? Behind the times? Impossible! Blasphemy!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
No, I do not require a hard copy. I ask that a scanned (or even photographed copy of the approved permit be emailed to me to assure the the State Park policy has been followed.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Surfer Joe wrote:

I would much prefer a system like we have with Three Rivers Parks and Ramsey County Parks where I get copied on the approval emails from the district administrator. Unfortunately the State Parks approvals are done by the individual parks, not by a central administrator and they require a paper permit rather than electronic

if the state park approvals are done by the individual park why does the application have to be sent into the main office and then back to the park to be given back to the cacher.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m&tcacheseekers wrote:
if the state park approvals are done by the individual park why does the application have to be sent into the main office and then back to the park to be given back to the cacher.

That's just state government at it's finest. Wink Just think, there's some person in an office somewhere that's sole job is to review these things. If it were more efficient, then they wouldn't have a job. Wink Very Happy Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m&tcacheseekers wrote:
Quote:
Surfer Joe wrote:

I would much prefer a system like we have with Three Rivers Parks and Ramsey County Parks where I get copied on the approval emails from the district administrator. Unfortunately the State Parks approvals are done by the individual parks, not by a central administrator and they require a paper permit rather than electronic

I think the process starts and ends at the individual park, but it involves HQ in the middle.

One of the things that is done when you submit a cache application is it's compared to a database of known off-limits areas in the park (which include protection of plants, artifacts, etc). Most (none?) parks don't have their own person that does this - there is one person that covers multiple parks.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

I think the process starts and ends at the individual park, but it involves HQ in the middle.

One of the things that is done when you submit a cache application is it's compared to a database of known off-limits areas in the park (which include protection of plants, artifacts, etc). Most (none?) parks don't have their own person that does this - there is one person that covers multiple parks.

Exactly! The folks in my park have been there for 17 and 18 years in did not even know the site of an endangered plant ( that of course is where I wanted my cache to go)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: