MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Central Minnesota Geocaching Group?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of meetings and such I would rather have a face to face meeting. Plus also I would like to meet people with other people. If all meetings and such are over the phone or email then I do not think that you are getting to know someone, you are getting to know their speaking style or their writing style.

I do understand that most of Minnesota is in the cities, so that is why I am not asking them to move anything or think specifically about a certain area. When you think about the four BB events that are outside the metro area and how large Minnesota is, we would have maybe one get together in Central Minnesota.

We have enough people I think within Central Minnesota for a group. I am just trying to do the same as other groups that I have seen on the net like Duluth Area Geocachers, North Central Minnesota Geocachers....

I am actually shocked to see that two past board members of the MnGCA and a current board member are the only ones that have voiced an opinion against the idea. I thought that the MnGCA would welcome the idea to help them throughout Minnesota. Like many other organizations (Red Cross, Salvation Army, churches, sports organizations, etc.) they have a federal level organization but still welcome more organizations locally.

But I guess that it is good that I can say that I thought that it was a good idea, that I spoke up, and I was willing to help. I will let the idea rest.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold an event or a regular get together if you would like, no one is saying do not do it and I am sure people will come. If you want to do something in your area similar to WeekNIGHT feel free to post it in the events section. If you are doing a regular event add it to the front page by having it submitted and remember you have to plan them in advance to have them listed on geocaching.com.
I have cached in almost all areas of the state and have been to events in Duluth, Rochester, Owatonna and St Cloud to name just a few. If you want to go to events held in other parts of the state check to see if others would like to go and carpool. You can save $ on gas and maybe cache on the way. I know of some from SE MN that carpool to events in areas outside of where the live.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah that is okay. I think that I am going to take a step back. I will just go on my way.

Thank you anyhow.

Topic ended.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Another suggestion would be to assist speedysk1 in setting up a non-metro Breakfast Buddies event. I'm fairly sure that if you approached him with a good location for the event that he would help to make that happen the best he could. Normally 4 of the BB events each year are not in the metro.

I always love to hear from local cachers to help me with Breakfast Buddy preparations. In fact so far, every BB, I've planned came from local cacher suggestions.

However, this isn't what I think you are trying to accomplish. I think you are looking for a what we do during our WeekNight caching events. These are not official MnGCA or Geocaching events. They are get-togethers by local cachers in many different areas in and near the metro. We post the WNC events on the MnGCA forums in the events section. That seems to work great for us. It will probably work great for you as well or you may want to us the Central MN section.

Whether or not your looking to create a geocaching event or just an informal get-together, I'd be happy to help you get it set up. Just send me an email or PM and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Cheers! I hope to hear more about this.

Shawn
MnGCA Member at Large
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
When I think of meetings and such I would rather have a face to face meeting. Plus also I would like to meet people with other people. If all meetings and such are over the phone or email then I do not think that you are getting to know someone, you are getting to know their speaking style or their writing style.

I'm not sure where the idea of meetings that aren't face to face came up. I've never been involved in a non-face to face meeting yet.

Quote:
We have enough people I think within Central Minnesota for a group. I am just trying to do the same as other groups that I have seen on the net like Duluth Area Geocachers, North Central Minnesota Geocachers....

There's no such thing as the Duluth Area Geocachers. I don't think there's a North Central Minnesota Geocachers either, unless you call the loose-knit group that organizes on the forums to get together like the weekNIGHT cachers do...

Quote:
I am actually shocked to see that two past board members of the MnGCA and a current board member are the only ones that have voiced an opinion against the idea. I thought that the MnGCA would welcome the idea to help them throughout Minnesota.

Apparently we're (or I am) not getting through. Want to help the MnGCA? Hold an event, formal or informal. Help speedysk1 set up a BB in the area. There may be or will be volunteer opportunities in your area.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to form a different organization then by all means, do it. I'm not saying don't (not that what I would say would make a difference anyway).

However, if your goal is to help the MnGCA in it's goals, I think what you're proposing not only won't help but will work to divide the organization rather than support it.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been reading this topic for some time now but have not commented because I feel that others have made excellent suggestions and I decided I wouldn't be adding much by saying "here, present and accounted for", so I haven't.

Specifically, I feel these are good points:
    PH: You can help the MnGCA regardless of your location.
    PH: The predominantly metro board is a function of Minnesota population and by virtue of people from the metro running for positions. Previous boards have been comprised of members from all over the state.
    speedysk1: Breakfast buddies serve as a social event for people to meet local geocachers
    KF, Red & MnBrad: WNC style get togethers started in the metro area, but the style for meetings can be copied and applied anywhere. If you post it, people will come.
And finally, a little bit about the meeting minutes which were referenced... cachers will invariably do what they want and act as individuals with or without individual groups. It makes sense that those whom cache together will associate with one another. Just as the MnGCA does not enforce cache placements, we certainly have no say about other geocaching organizations, nor does the board wish for or want that kind of control. The MnGCA is a collection of individuals whom come together on common ground to support our hobby and to be united as one voice at a state level. In a sense, the MnGCA's greatest strength is our members, so we provide additional means for people to get together. Social events like BB and WNC in addition to the use of these forums provide interaction that is very important to who we are. The current board that has volunteered to run all happen to be from the metro area, but we are not the Minnesota Metro Area Geocaching Association. We aim to represent the entire state, which means that your efforts are not only very much needed by the org, but the board tries to facilitate the kind of outreach you're talking about.

So really, it all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. Laughing As most of the current board members have either officially "weighed in" (and all board members have, in the very least been following this discussion), you have our attention and your concerns are not falling on deaf ears. Personally I do not feel that the creation or existence of any number of independent organizations within Minnesota detracts from the value of the MnGCA, as we are all finding the same caches and showing up to each others' events so if that is the route you're pursuing, all the more power to you! Razz
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...Time Out...Everyone. I think this thread is being side tracked. I'm not sure anyone is listening to anyone else at this point and this conversion is devolving a bit.

To Jam3s and other Central MN cachers. I think it's a great idea that you want to form a group. This is very similar to what we do during our weekly WeekNight caching events. Someone picks a location and time and folks show up to cache. As they say, post it and they will come. Wink

I would also love to hear your feedback on what's happening in your area related to geocaching. Is there a new ordinance that you would like us to look into? Is there someone interested in having a seminar on geocaching? Any other topics that you would like us to review. The MnGCA IS a statewide organization and we certainly get involved where we can on issues throughout the state. A great example of this is our involvement with the DNR and the stateparks.

To the question about the MnGCA being metro-centric. Well that's just perception as the bulk of our membership is in the twin cities, however, that doesn't mean we are a twin cities only group. We are here to help geocachers from where ever they live in the state of MN. This is also why we have the regional sections withing the forums. Feel free to post whatever you'd like in the regional sections. I would love to see those sections utilized more.

Know that whatever your decision is on creating a separate group within or outside the MnGCA, we will still be here to help in anyway we can.

I look forward to hearing more about your group.

Shawn
MnGCA Member at Large
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

To Jam3s and other Central MN cachers. I think it's a great idea that you want to form a group. This is very similar to what we do during our weekly WeekNight caching events. Someone picks a location and time and folks show up to cache. As they say, post it and they will come. Wink

That's how the thread started, although it evolved (by the OP) into forming a formal organization like the MnGCA. I totally support the original idea (similar to WeekNIGHT), but... you get the point.

I'll try to be quiet now unless the Jam3s wants to continue the conversation.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, I think this topic took a wrong turn right from the start. Jam3s was interested in some sort of formal Central MN Organization. I was responding with the informal format of a WeekNIGHT Caching Crew event. At one point I figured we were talking about a formal GC.com "Event Cache". I was wrong again.

Jam3s was clearly interested in a formal organization for Central MN Geocachers. I had a hard time understanding that until I spoke with Jam3s (face to face) and we sent a couple emails back and forth.

I beleive the same in any case, if you want to set up an informal event, "Event Cache" or even a new organization it is really up to the individual. People will participate at their interest level. That's all you can ask.

One last thing, as a "Greater MN" resident all my life, I do not hold to any real division in "Metro vs Outstate". To me that seems to be a geographical distinction. I always figured I got more than my moneys worth out of my Big City friends and their involvement, dedication and networks. Plus, I apreciate the time any of you guys put in.

Thanks again,

Kurt
theodellfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have agree with Kur and others. I think this has gotten way out of hand. Sue and I got into caching because we like to be out in the woods and it is a bonus: all the great people we have met. We have been talking for a while how we want to host an event, get people together and do some night caching (ok Sue like night caching, I sleep in the dark). From what I can tell I dont need to ask anyone permission to do it. When we do we will the the MNGCA know because we have several good friends that spend time here.

So lets get back to what caching is suppose to be. Fun Friends and Smiley faces.

Jam3s, I will drop you a note here soon. Lets see what we can come up with. Maybe see if we can get the room at the Truck stop for breakfast (got to love the wildrice sausage) and see how many can find the cache in the parking lot.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that are in St. Cloud. I am looking at doing some caching this coming sunday morning (January 4th) prior to a get together with some of my classmates from highschool. I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing some caching around St. cloud say from 9 or 10 in the morning till about noon. If anyone is interested please pm me or send me an email. I normally cache by myself but would welcome others as I enjoy caching in a group.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is all solved by having chapters of the MNGCA. We could divide the state up into sections, assign each a den number, and then we could all invent our own little cuddly hats. Kind of like the Shriners or the Moose Lodge. Laughing Laughing Laughing
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Maybe this is all solved by having chapters of the MNGCA. We could divide the state up into sections, assign each a den number, and then we could all invent our own little cuddly hats. Kind of like the Shriners or the Moose Lodge. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Snicker....great visual.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the intent of the OP, people will do whatever they do, which is fine. But I do see value in staying together at the higest level. Socially though? Post it and they.... I think it's been said enough.

BTW, I hereby declare the Rosemount Chapter the first official unofficial chapter of the MNGCA. We are claiming 0001 as our lodge number. Our hat design looks like the following..

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/12522.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: