MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Month-December 2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be Cache of the Month for December 2008?
Horseshoe Hogsback
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Rock, Paper, Scissors
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
"Big Shot" in Turtle Creek Open Space
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Month-December 2008 Reply with quote

This vote will be open for seven days...get your vote in while you can!!!

GC1AGZ8: Horseshoe Hogsback by First Seeker
Nominated by EskoClimber
I took a look at Horseshoe Hogsback on the map thinking I’d find a forest road or such leading to within 500 feet of the hide. I was genuinely surprised to find nothing on the map, nothing on the topo, nothing on the terrain and nothing on the satellite photo. Now I’m intrigued. I go back to the topographical map and pick out the only route that keeps me on high ground and out of the swamp. I pull out some waypoints to make sure I don’t get too far off track during the upcoming bushwhack and head for Chisholm.
I thoroughly enjoyed the walk on the moraine on this November morning and had an even better laugh when I read Team Holligan’s entry in the log book. I can see that my idea of fun and his differ.
When you’ve had enough of park and grabs then come up and visit Horseshoe Hogsback. I can guarantee that at the very least you’ll have a story to tell at the next event. It might even put you off park and grabs. I can only hope.

GC1FDNM: Rock, Paper, Scissors by AerosmithPA
Nominated by Cushman Rider
I would like to nominate AerosmithPA's Rock,Paper,Scissors for the cache of the month because of the thought,planning and the twists of this unique hide! It's location is near downtown Grand Rapids. Lots of parking (cause you will be parked awhile!) The trails are easy to navigate and you will get to see them all!!

Also Nominated by Uffda320
AerosmithPA makes great use of the trail system with this cache. Without giving away too many hints, this multi can either be a fairly easy find or could take hours. It's located amongst the cross country ski/hiking trails behind Grand Rapids High School. You feel like you're in the middle of the forest, yet you're only minutes away from civilization. Plenty of parking is available. This is the premiere geocache in the Grand Rapids area. A must find when in the area. Just allow yourself plenty of time to find it.

Also Nominated by momandson2006
We just completed Rock, Paper, Scissors as well and were headed here to nominate it for cache of the month. To our surprise it has been nominated twice all ready! This cache is pure genius the way it is put together, it is in a beautiful area easy to get to well maintained paths to walk it is the perfect combination of multi-cache / scenery /`decent length workout hike. This was unique in our caching experience.

GC1HAV0: “Big Shot” in Turtle Creek Open Space by TopGear
Nominated by X51hz
I would like to nominate TopGear’s “BigShot” in Turtle Creek Open Space for Cache of the Month. It may not be the most difficult hide if you approach from the correct side but the hike is very enjoyable, you can almost forget you are in the twin cities. The .5 mile or greater hike on a "goat path" is well worth it.

If you have any words/reviews for any of the caches up for voting, please share them here by posting a reply...
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to vote for Horseshoe, cause this is the only one i've done out of the three.
i mistakenly said this would be a good cache to ride your bike to, when i FTF this cache in March, and i was able to drive my truck to within 400 some ' of GZ.
the loggers had just finished up logging for the year, and there was a great road going through the area, little did i know that the road wouldn't be there again. Surprised

if any of you metro cachers are in the northern part of the state and want a nice hike, hit this one up during the winter, and you won't get wet feet.

Peace,
Joboo
ole and lena
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Joboo, we've only done one of the three. However, that one was "Rock, Paper, Scissors", and it definitely gets our vote. Aerosmith is an accomplished cacher with LOTS of finds to his credit. He chose a very pretty area in which to place this cache. He then spent a lot of time and effort designing this excellent cache. We spent (probably more) time and effort doing its various stages. Only after finding the final, and comparing notes with other local cachers, did we discover the full secret of how clever (AND devious) Aerosmith was in designing this cache!! Thanks, Aerosmith, and good luck on Cache of the Month. If you win, it's well deserved!
Ole and Lena
cushman rider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was FTF on Rock, Paper, Scissors! I love this area!! Great Fall colors,lots of wild-life,close to town,free parking and now a cache that will probably get you to see it all several times! This cache will be tough to do in Winter Crying or Very sad , but I would suggest strapping on ski's and do a little pre-mn-cache-season scouting Very Happy !! I don't think you will regret having to return to make the find!! thanks Aerosmithpa Idea
Team Yettobenamed
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Paper Scissors is what geocaching is all about. Get out there, get some exercise, see some stuff you wouldn't have otherwise seen. Then, maybe, do it again. Very unique, fun cache. Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's getting to the point where if a good iron range cache is nominated, it's almost a shoe-in. Smile Lots of networking going on there!

That's what it's all about!

Congrats to AerosmithPA!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to those who visited my cache and those who voted. It is humbling enough to simply have a cache nominated for this prestigous award.

I was fortunate enough that fate put me in a position to visit all of the nominated caches for this month. It is fun to see the different aspects of the caches and to read the comments others make of these treasures.

My hope is that geocachers will make the Grand Rapids area (55744) a destination for their adventures. There are many quality caches in the area to suit all cacher's tastes. Multi caches are aplenty along with traditional. There is a plethura of non caching activities available to keep muggle family members happy while the cacher takes care of the important business.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: