MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon 400t
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the preloaded Topo maps are inherently off a little bit when it comes to roads. I don't think that is an Oregon issue, but more an issue of Navteq or wherever Garmin is getting their topo reference maps. I have the City Navigator maps and they are pretty much dead on like you would expect from a Garmin. The other bonus with the City Navigator maps is it is super easy to enter addresses with the touch screen, it is almost like having an ultra tough Nuvi. I've discovered I can leave the topo map as the "primary" map in the geocaching mode, but use the City Nav maps in modes I want to use for driving, a nice intelligent mix of maps I think.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
So I made the leap and got an Oregon last weekend. With finals at school, I haven't had a lot of time to cache, but I went out a few times to test it out. The two things I really love about it are the touchscreen/PDA type functionality and the ease of file transfers. I havent had enough experience with it caching to know form feelings about other things like accuracy, battery life, etc. One thing that is annoying is that the maps are off quite a bit. Even my Legend could stay on the roads. Once the semester ends, I plan on getting out more to try it out.

Yeah, it is not the Oregon with the issue here...it is the source of the topo information...

The topo itself is pretty good (but it is only a basic topo...not even close to what you would get if you actually bought the topo software). The road locations, for many areas, are that from many years ago...you will find it to be off...especially if a road has been improved or surveyed lately...
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
So I made the leap and got an Oregon last weekend. With finals at school, I haven't had a lot of time to cache, but I went out a few times to test it out. The two things I really love about it are the touchscreen/PDA type functionality and the ease of file transfers. I havent had enough experience with it caching to know form feelings about other things like accuracy, battery life, etc. One thing that is annoying is that the maps are off quite a bit. Even my Legend could stay on the roads. Once the semester ends, I plan on getting out more to try it out.

Yeah, it is not the Oregon with the issue here...it is the source of the topo information...

The topo itself is pretty good (but it is only a basic topo...not even close to what you would get if you actually bought the topo software). The road locations, for many areas, are that from many years ago...you will find it to be off...especially if a road has been improved or surveyed lately...

At least it is new enough to have 35E, unlike the legend that is missing a good 5 mile chunk in the south metro...
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried it out in the cold weather yet? I am thinking about dropping a prestty solid hint to see if I can get one as a Christmas present but want to make sure that it is MN Winter friendly.

Thanks,

RonGerth
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anybody tried it out in the cold weather yet? I am thinking about dropping a prestty solid hint to see if I can get one as a Christmas present but want to make sure that it is MN Winter friendly.

I have just purchased one (thank you!) and I have tried it the last couple days playing with it out in the cold and it seems to be functioning per normal so far.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Quote:

I have just purchased one (thank you!) and I have tried it the last couple days playing with it out in the cold and it seems to be functioning per normal so far.

Though I still have limited experience with it, it has been fine in the cold. The hardest part is working it with cold hands and gloves make it hard to push the screen accurately.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
Quote:

Though I still have limited experience with it, it has been fine in the cold. The hardest part is working it with cold hands and gloves make it hard to push the screen accurately.

I just use the end of a pen if I keep my gloves on.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo what Brad said...think of using it like a PDA with a stylus...just don't use anything sharp!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
Quote:

I've had the 60CSx out in -30degreeF weather before for extended periods of time. The only thing you really have to worry about is battery life. You may want to move to lithium batteries. Not sure what the power source is on the Oregon.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have owned an OREGON 400 T for the last 2 hours- our take so far: It was extra fast to come on, and with the back lighting off in the car, I could faintly see the screen unless there was a sunray on it- but we have the Nuvi for inside the car so will wait to see- that 40% coupon is great- but there is a 15% restocking fee 30 days- if you return it- Real cold won't be a factor for us as we are just about gone until March to warmer climes-
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:

Thanks,

RonGerth

I just spent the afternoon caching with the Oregon and it worked great. It never slowed down, the maps really werent that badand even getting covered in snow didn't harm it. Now that I finally did several caches in a row, especially puzzles that were not at the posted coords, it was very easy to go to the next cache, mark them as found, etc. Woohoo!!!
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. My main problem right now is that my wife got me a colorado last spring so I feel kind of weird trying to upgrade so soon. I might have to wait for a few months and go for a combined fathers day, birthday, and other days combined.

Thanks again,

Ron
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Owners manual said we needed a patch to get a cache to down load directly, but that problem must have been fixed because it did it without the patch. Just got the page up and plugged into the USB and hit the button and the cache went into the Oregon.

Also, it"found" us within 10 seconds in our basement- which surprised us.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one mentioned on some blog that you have to flip through so many screens on the Oregon. You can easily customize your menu screen to put the 6 most used functions on the first page of the menu, which is all we need and more for the geocaching we do- so you just have to touch the screen to change say from arrived to the compass for # of sats and direction of cache & number of feet then after your hit found it- another screen to touch to the next cache. Easy.
incrediblemagpie
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Has anybody tried it out in the cold weather yet?

Might be to late for you....Finally got some use in the bitter cold and bright sunshine.

Cold not a issue with the unit. I was out in 10 below weather and It just keeps flippin' between pages and holds it signal. Fell in the snow, Ice formed on the screen. Scraped it off and kept on cachin'!

Used thin gloves (gloves are another entire discussion) and had to use tips and edges. As the gloves got wet from diggin' things got messy but I could still read the screen, change screens and make finds.

Bright sun....its readable. Slightly dimmer than my trusty etrex. Getting more used to it. I wouldn't rate the screen clarity in bright sunlight as enough of a negative to cancel a purchase when weighted with all the other positive features. (Cache descriptions and Logs in one unit)

Biggest negative....I sometimes don't get corrected coord's from solved puzzles loaded properly from GSAK. Then I over write and muck it up again......learning curve.

When they come out with the phone/car starter/car retreiver/camera/handwarmer/xray viewer/avalanche beacon/etc unit I'll be back in line. For today, it's tough to beat to Oregon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: