MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: 2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari Reply with quote

The State parks have been very happy with the the History Challenge. At this point they are looking into continuing it until May 15th but are undecided as of now. They do not want to have down time between the history challenge and the new program.

The new program is called the Geocaching Wildlife Safari.

Program Highlights
A Critter Cache (geocache) will be located in each of our 72 state parks and recreation areas to create
the excitement of a total park system program.
Sixteen to twenty-four State Parks will be GPS Demo Parks (GPS and geocaching demonstration
parks.)
The GPS Demo Parks will be the parks that provide checkouts of GPS units to visitors, more
information about the Geocaching Wildlife Safari, more help and assistance for first time geocachers,
and some programs on the basics of geocaching.
All other state parks will maintain a Critter Cache in their park with a poster and brochures about the
Geocaching Wildlife Safari. GPS checkouts would be optional.
Participants will collect 2.5" X 3.5" Critter Cards, one for each park, with educational messages.
An incentives program will be devised to present awards such as geocoins, free night of camping or
wildlife related awards for visitors finding caches and collecting a certain number of Critter Cards (16,
32, 64, and 72 to conform to what visitors are used to with the Passport and Hiking Clubs.)
A partnership with the Minnesota Geocaching Association will continue for advice and support.
The program would operate for a minimum of 3 years.
GPS Demo

SOME OF THIS IS STILL TENTATIVE....

The MnGCA is in communications with the State Parks to see where we can be of help. They want us to be partners in this new program.
I will have more info in a few weeks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:

The MnGCA is in communications with the State Parks to see where we can be of help. They want us to be partners in this new program.
I will have more info in a few weeks.

Exciting stuff - thanks for sharing the beginnings of it!

I have a question and a comment/suggestion.

Many know of my displeasure at the Garden Island *requirement*; will Garden Island be optional in this program to 'complete' it (as it is in the Passport Club), or will it be a requirement for one to 'complete' the program (as it is in the existing History Challenge)?

My suggestion - if the MnGCA is going to be involved in this project I would really like to see it displayed a more prominently in both the advertising and the caches themselves. I don't expect a level like Best Buy got, but the organization should be able to attract members using this program. IMHO we've earned it already.

Thanks for your work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this would be a good time to ask for constructive suggestions that we may bring to the table.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an idea yet on how the caches will be placed? Will it be similar to the existing program, where a cacher adopts a park and helps them place the cache, or do the parks feel confident enough now to do it on their own?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing I can say right now. I should have something in a few weeks.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew for being our liaison to the MnDNR. I can't wait to hear about this new game. With the 3 year time line, I might be able to finish this one. Wink
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work andrewmcc! Thanks for your willingness to be the MnGCA contact for the State Parks. Look forward to hearing and learning more on the new challenge.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Participants will collect 2.5" X 3.5" Critter Cards, one for each park, with educational messages.

Pear Head wrote:
Many know of my displeasure at the Garden Island *requirement*

If they place a critter cache at Garden Island, the critter card should definitely be that of the black fly.

Thanks for the update Andrewmcc!

-Jonas
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound very exciting. However, I wonder many people that have completed the original challenge would be willing to go around and do it again. But then maybe we're not the intended audience.

Not to be contrary to Pearhead's position. I think the Garden Island Adventure made the whole deal extra exciting the first time around. I highly doubt I'd go there a second time though.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
It does sound very exciting. However, I wonder many people that have completed the original challenge would be willing to go around and do it again. But then maybe we're not the intended audience.

You would be amazed I think at how many people do the Passport Club or Hiking Club over and over and over.

The way I look at it, I'm already camping in the parks - this just gives me something more to do while I'm there.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they could require finding all the State *Parks* to complete it? Garden Island and a few others are really SRAs.

In the end, I think it was fun to go to Garden Island - once! I only paid $25 for the boat, split the gas money up too. But the worry about choppy waters and cranky border patrols dampened the whole thing. Our trip went relatively smoothly compared to others.

I like the split like the other clubs. Then people can get as far as they want/can and still get rewards for each level. I have now visited all parks once, but there are many I have been to dozens of times and will go to again.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like another fun time working with the parks and geocaching.
We enjoyed working with Split Rock Creek and Camden State Park. We have let Camden know that we are ready to help them once again with the new parks geocaching program. We meet alot of fun loving and freindly caches at all the caching demos we did at camden. We may not have completed alot of the state parks but we sure had fun doing the ones we did get to. So we are looking to hear more about the new Critter caches coming up.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the new program. Im not sure Id head to all the parks again, but there are some I look forward to heading back to. Given the three year plus time frame, I wont be rushed this time through, and might actually see the park. Three years, hmmmmm, ok, Id do it again.

I paid more than tesser to get to Garden Island, money I would not have spent if I had until May 15th, which is one reason Im not in favor of changing the rules at the end of the game. Personally, Id keep Garden Island on the list.
BigSequoia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea. What would be the determining factor in the timeframe (currently minimum of 3 years) for this. I would think it would benefit the parks to keep it going. I wanted to camp at (and spend more money at) most of the parks I went to but often times I had to fly in and out so fast I couldn't even complete my patch collection if the office was closed. To be able to dedicate myself to all the parks again, which I would love to do, I would have to do it at a much slower pace. All of the money I spent on gas I would have much rather spent at state parks but I think all of our budgets were a little strained. I need more time if I am gonna make another go of it. This is coming from a guy who plans to finish the history challange Dec. 27. Wish me luck.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short note on some of the updates on the Safari Cache program. This is still a work in progress but we have nailed down some details.

1. May 2nd is the kick off the program will run for 3 years

2. The caches will each have a Critter Card in it to keep. The Critter will be an animal native to the park it is found in.

3. There will be 5 extra award levels 10, 20, 40, 60, and all parks. There will be another card for free and you would be eligible to purchase non trackable geocoins at just over cost (under $2.00) . We tried to keep the cost down so they could be purchased for the whole family.

4. At this point the MnGCA logo is going to be on all the Critter Cards.

5. We are adding at least 4 demo parks.

6. Garden Island is still up in the air, but cachers that have already been there maybe be exempt from going out there and can pick up an alternate cache at Zipple Bay.

We have not been able to get a sponsor for the program this year so we are trying to do the program on a shoestring.

I am looking to get our website linked to the Safari cache web site.

We meet every 2 weeks and nail down more details and I will keep you informed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: