MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool new "toy"!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Cool new "toy"! Reply with quote

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/05/09/1242214.shtml?tid=127&tid=186&tid=207

I don't know how well this would work for geocaching though...

Techie talk here: It has an API so you can create your own games for it. AWESOME! It's like a Geko, but better!!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool new "toy"! Reply with quote

SirPoonga wrote:
I don't know how well this would work for geocaching though...

People have mentioned problems such as "it only has 5 buttons, how would that work?" I wonder if they realize that my GPS has the same amount (including the directional control).

I thought it would be a decent piece of equipment if you wanted a GPS/PDA combo. The iQue apparently is inadequate from what I have heard (although the geocachers out there complain about everything). The GBA SP supposedly does not have the horsepower to even compete with the MIPS processor in the iQue.

It does seem a bit bulky and a $250 addition onto the cost of a GBA seems a bit much.

YMMV.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's my point. 1) it is expensive + $90 for the GBA 2) the GBA is rugged enough for a child to drop it over and over, BUT I don't think it is weatherproof or something you want to drop int he mud while caching.
However "Pre-Order and Save! Regularly $249 US, now $199 US. Limited time only"

I looked through all the features, it does have some pretty nifty stuff.

The GBA is just a super nintendo, not much power there. but you don't need that much for GPS.

I could see it being cool because it keeps the kids happy until you get to the cache site Smile

I want a GBA SP. It's mainly a SNES (same procs almost), many SNES games have been released for it. Also I have tried the new Metroid which is great! (Oh, I was going to school for Game Programming at the Minnesota School of Business until I had to move back to WI recently and am a kid at heart!)

I also wonder if an external antanna can be attached, because where the unit is located on an SP is where your palms normally are. On a regular GBA it would be on top.

I wonder how much making something like that, but for a PDA would cost. I saw a Garmin GPS 15 go recently on ebay for $40. That's a small GPs unit that is about hte size of a commemerative stamp. It has simple serial output and antenna hookup. Could easily wire to the serial input on a PDA. Then it is a matter of having software that can use it's output.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a cheap PDA with the ability to play games and also be a GPS, Its hard to beat buying a used Handspring Visor model with a springboard slot for $35 or so from EBAY, and then buying a surplus Magellan GPS Companion for the Visor for $40-$60 from one of the overstock places like consumerdepot.com. I put together this combination for $75 (with shipping) last fall to replace one just like it that I left behind at a cache. If you want maps, you can buy the Mapopolis software for $45, which runs on the Visor and works with the GPS Comapnion.

So for about $125, you can put together a handheld that is roughly equivalent. But no Pokemon.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on the handsping visor, you could probably get a Gameboy emulator, that way you could have pokemon too, that is, if you really want to play pokemon.....
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a visor, unfortunately somethings wrong, it eats batteries in a day, even when turned off.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The off-topic discussion of Arcade/Emulation has been split off and moved Arrow here.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call.

Ok, back to topic Smile If you had this do you think you could get the kids away form playing games to use it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: