MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN amendment initiative
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I think if they had proposed this without the "arts" and other parts of this amendment, it would have gotten the money without having to have gone to us..and if it did go to us, I may have considered voting yes.

The "arts" was the big turnoff for me as well (I voted no). While I don't agree with the method for getting the money, and have concerns about how exactly it will be spent, my reason for voting no was entirely due to the arts being tacked on. IMHO public dollars can be spent much wiser than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I think if they had proposed this without the "arts" and other parts of this amendment, it would have gotten the money without having to have gone to us..and if it did go to us, I may have considered voting yes.

I wasn't happy with the arts portion of it....Duluth does a similar type thing in which a percentage of money spent on a public project has to include an arts portion. I did vote yes on it, not that I was happy in the way it is to be done....but because it seems that it is becoming more difficult to elect officials who actually listen to their constituents and budget for essential, quality of life aspects that tax paying residents expect. It seems that elected officials consider parks a "fluff" service that should be the first item cut....not that I'm biased or anything Laughing .
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 90% sure how I was going to vote last Saturday. Then I did a bit of soul-searching (that's an overly dramatic way to put it, I guess) and I decided that I needed to change to the other side. I prefer not to say how I voted and I'm still not sure whether I voted the better way, but at this point what's done is done, and I hope for the sake of the state that everything turns out as well as possible.
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is time to start promoting Geocaching as an "Art". Smile
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. The arts are a huge reason this did pass. We geocachers see this from a biased outdoorsmen view, but there are a lot of artsy fartsy people out there that loved the arts provision.

More so, people have been trying time and time again for years on legislation for the cleaning and restoration of the wetlands, and it just never got done. As an avid hunter, I have been to a couple rallies over the past years where politicians claimed they were on board. Then when the time came to put their money where their mouth was, they balked! Without the arts, this never would have even made it to the ballot.

I voted no, because I believe this sets a horrible precedent, and that our elected officials should be the ones making these difficult economic decisions not uniformed Joe Schmos. However, even with voting no, I am still excited that funds will now be available for projects that have been needing the funds for a long long time!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
because Iíve been watching our lakes dying

No amount of money in the world is going to "refill" our lakes and ponds. Cyclical rain patterns need to shift back our direction.

As for wet lands that are "dying" because of other reasons, according to Blue Water Science, it just ain't happening (at least in MN). There's still a lot of work to be done, but our watersheds are cleaner than ever.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an outdoors enthusiast.. geocache, hunt, canoe, hike, bike.. as much as possible. I am not the artsy fartsy guy at all but understand the importance. I voted NO because of the precedence that has now been set. I feel strongly that we should hold our political representatives accountable. Besides the all of the obvious accountability issues, this amendment does nothing more than allow them to THINK UP new ways to spend money rather than address the existing problems. I am confident, that in 4 to 6 years, I'll be able to say, "I told you so". I hope to God I am wrong.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. The arts are a huge reason this did pass. We geocachers see this from a biased outdoorsmen view, but there are a lot of artsy fartsy people out there that loved the arts provision.

Which is why I voted no, just because people like something, doesn't mean the state should fund it. I believe that it is a lie to say that our water was becoming tainted and that we need this to save the water, but in all their ads, they never spoke about the arts portion of the amendment, they only talked about the lakes, streams and river protection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
I would much rather walk into a State Park office and hand them $60.00 (and would) than to vote for an amendment like this.

Cool, come on over to my place, I'll put a sign above the door that says State Park Office so you'll feel right at home opening your wallet and leaving a generous donation behind!

Believe me they got a lot more than $60.00 from me doing the history challenge as I am sure they did from you and anyone else who did all or much of the challenge.

I'm not sure the state parks got much of my money, they got the 25 bucks for the auto pass, but beyond that we didn't spend much at the parks themselves. Now the good folks of SuperAmerica, BP, they flat out stole my wallet this summer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: