MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocache Rating System (beta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msrubble wrote:
Two comments:

"Contact us" just brings up the index page.

It's too wide on my monitor. Even at full screen, there's a horizontal scrollbar.

The Contact Us page will be completed soon. The focus was the rating engine. Too wide?? What's your screen set to? It is designed for 800x600... which is quickly becoming extinct for 1024x768 or better.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Geocache Rating System (beta) Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I've been tinkering with a new website that let's you put your geocaches up for public scrutiny, to be rated by the general public. You've heard of geochecker.com. Well, this is similar in its simplicity.

www.ratethiscache.com

Feel free to give it a try. Not exactly sure how far I'll take the website. I guess it depends on what kind of use it gets.

BFlentje,

This is really neat. I've always thought a database of cache ratings would help enhance the sport. This is a positive step towards that.

I know that the Swedish Geocaching team have had a system like this in place for a bit and it seems to work really well.

Links to their system:
Sortable ranking of caches.
Example of cache with the link to the ratings.
The rating page for a cache.

Unfortunately all their pages are in Swedish.

I liked how they simplified the process by allowing any user to rate any cache whether or not the cache owner had registered it. This way you get a wider selection of caches in the list rankings. I also liked how they split the vote into four categories. I'll try to translate their different categories and their description.
Environment: With environment means the surroundings/nature near a cache. For example a great view would rank high here.
Placement: This means the hide location. Is it a mugglesafe location, is it a clever hide. For example an inappropriately hidden cache would rank low here.
Idea: This means if the cache is noteworthy in any way through for example style, theme, originality.
Appearance: As opposed to the idea, this refers to the physical attributes of a cache. The type of container, the type of camoflauge.

Please pardon my rough translation, but it might give you some ideas.

-Jonas

Thanks for the note. Actually, the code is in place for 4 different levels of rating but I have not had the time to tweak and test it. Aside from the play with words they look very similar and mine will become more sophisticated over time.

- Rate the container
- Rate the hide
- Rate the execution (puzzles, historical, etc)
- Overall rating
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-deleted-

Last edited by bflentje on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
What's your screen set to? It is designed for 800x600

800x600 is the best my monitor can do. But you're not accounting for a vertical scrollbar. It takes up some of the screen. People who use browsers with a panel on the left could have a similar problem.

I don't like to let any application take up the entire screen anyway. But even if I make an exception for you, your site is currently too wide for my admittedly smallish monitor.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say that the Geocache Rating System has been tweaked quite a bit. Looking for reviewers to tell me how bad it is.

Geocache Rating System
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Minnesota cachers aren't going to let a bunch of weenies from Virginia take over a home built website, are you?

Let's get this rolling.. It's FREE.

Top rated Minnesota geocache:

http://www.ratethiscache.com/img.asp?size=medium&waypoint=GC169F1[/img]

Last edited by bflentje on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
http://www.ratethiscache.com/img.asp?size=medium&waypoint=GC169F1

I can't read that link, I just get a bunch of garbage (the raw jpeg data). Page Info says it's type text/html instead of image/jpeg. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.11.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
http://www.ratethiscache.com/img.asp?size=medium&waypoint=GC169F1

I can't read that link, I just get a bunch of garbage (the raw jpeg data). Page Info says it's type text/html instead of image/jpeg. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.11.

Thanks for the note. Fat finger in my code that IE can obviously work around. Does it work now in Firefox?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Thanks for the note. Fat finger in my code that IE can obviously work around. Does it work now in Firefox?

Yes. But that's not the top rated MN geocache.. Red Devil's cache has a 5.0 rating. (True, only one vote... Smile )
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Yes. But that's not the top rated MN geocache.. Red Devil's cache has a 5.0 rating. (True, only one vote... Smile )

True, but I was going by weighted rating Wink

Plus, I had promote myself Rolling Eyes
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

W00T!
Hey, it is a pretty cool cache, but waaaaay out in the boonies!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Geocache Rating System is back online after a terrible and catastrophic hardware failure two weeks ago. The web server AND the backup server failed. To top it off, I never thought both would fail simultaneously so I never backed up the database onto optical disk.

If you had an account and cache listings on the Geocache Rating System you will have to recreate everything. The good thing is, you won't have to update your geocache listings on geocaching.com if you use the correct waypoints.

A new backup plan is now in place.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From main page:
Code:
Welcome to the Geocache Rating System, a tool to rate geocaches. This is an honor-based system that allows for the anonymous and non-confrontational rating of geocaches. It is completely free, and it's easy to use. Since you visited this site without a cache to be rated, read the instructions below to set up a new geocache in the system. If you'd like to try out the Geocache Rating System, here is a sample link to An Imaginary Geocache for you to rate.
Sample link does not resolve.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
From main page:
Code:
Welcome to the Geocache Rating System, a tool to rate geocaches. This is an honor-based system that allows for the anonymous and non-confrontational rating of geocaches. It is completely free, and it's easy to use. Since you visited this site without a cache to be rated, read the instructions below to set up a new geocache in the system. If you'd like to try out the Geocache Rating System, here is a sample link to An Imaginary Geocache for you to rate.
Sample link does not resolve.

Works for me.. Embarassed Embarassed Wink

Filter turned back on. It was off for debugging.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks Bart! Reply with quote

I am new to geocaching as of Aug 2008. I joined MnGCA in October after hearing about it from Fargnot & Momandson2006. Only recently have I started going through the MnGCA Forums.

My first four hides are now registered & the rating links have been added to their geocaching.com pages. Thanks for the wonderful tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: