MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mn State Park Geocaching History Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
From what I have heard many do snowmobile on the lake during winter months and people could make it to the cache.

The lake has marked and groomed trails on it, one of which goes fairly close to the cache. Riding on the lake in December though is somewhere between very iffy and not likely as there's probably not enough ice on it by the end of December.

If someone is planning on doing Garden Island for the challenge, they'd best figure it out pretty quick yet this fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapened Experince...

I only have a few simple questions:

1) Did you enjoy your journey/trip around the state visiting different parks and seeing various areas of the state?

2) Did you have a good time (either alone or with friends)?

3) Do you have memories you cherish?

4) Do you have any regreats about your choice to complete the task or visiting each of the state parks?

If you seriously let thinking about how someone else may have completed the task differently then you did...then you are only letting yourself down on this one folks. I would bet, of the folks that have completed this challenged (logged and unlogged), very few of them completed the challenge in the same way. Does even knowing not everyone completed the challenge the same way you did change your expereince...I would bet not!!! Be proud of what you completed and how you did it...and let others pe proud of what they did and how they completed the challenge regardless of the differences (becuase I am sure there were differences on how various parks around the state were completed)!!!

Edit: A wise person once told me to stop comparing my experince to someone else's experince...in life, you get what you choose to (experince and rewards or troubles and deadends)...and no one else can change that unless you let them...

Wise words to take to heart...in all aspects of our life.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Cheapened Experince...

I admit, using the phrase "Cheapened The Experience" was a poor choice of words. It should be stated, "Cheapened The Accomplishment".

Because I do agree, I had a blast doing it. I couldn't tell you if I'd do it again.. lots of variables, especially cost. I think the actual point is that it isn't as meaningful from the perspective that.. if you're one of 50 holders of the state medallion is more prestigious than being one of 500.

Semantics and word play yes, but the point is there. NO, I am not being argumentative. Just stating my opinion... which isn't worth much.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still...from my point of view (only a handful of State Park Caches)...for those that are among the first 50...that is rather impressive!!!

Also...my case...I had the time to do those caches...but not the funds... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (I need to really work on my Powerball Plan Wink )

And...bflentje...that is really what I was trying to get at..."Cheapened Experince" really isn't the best wording...just wanted to point out that any cacher that completed the task had to have had an awesome experince!!!
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say about my experiences compleating the State Park Challenge is...priceless. I had an amazing time! I think about road trips with cstjohn, lucid, KC0GRN and geomatrix. That trip was the best caching roadtrip ever. I was able to accomplish things I did not know I could on that trip. I had a great roadtrip with archerdragoon and another with Ramsey63. One roadtip that my wife even went along on. A blast at the Spring event with so many cachers. I will never forget the roadtrip with my daughter to get Garden Island! Driving up to Warroad at night and pulling over just to get out of the car and look at the sky and hear my daughter gasp in amazement and say it was like being in a planetarium. The great people I met on the trails and in the parks. The wildlife, history lessons and scenery I experienced. The great park staff that I met doing the challenge. The phone conversations to get help and to give some help. Even doing the final and deciding to be like esko but ending up in almost waist deep water was something to remember. Having tesser come while I was signing the log and having an enjoyable hike back with her and Charlie to get our coins and sharing stories about our experiences. All things that I will always remember and could never put a price on. It was a great summer!
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do have one major regret which is directly related to the short lifespan of the challenge.

I had to pass up alot of caches that I normally would have searched for in an effort to move on to the next SP challenge cache. Frontenac SP is one park that immediately leaps to mind. I only did one other cache close to the challenge cache in Forntenac because I had to get back on the road.

When the opportunity arose to visit Garden Island (thank you Paklid and Fargnot) I arrived three days early and used the time visiting all the quality caches in Bemidji that I was forced to pass up because of time constraints.

The good news is that my whirlwind tour of the state brought me to areas that I normally wouldn't visit and highlighted places where I will return.

SO all in all, its working out.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
Actually, I do have one major regret which is directly related to the short lifespan of the challenge.

I had to pass up alot of caches that I normally would have searched for in an effort to move on to the next SP challenge cache. Frontenac SP is one park that immediately leaps to mind. I only did one other cache close to the challenge cache in Forntenac because I had to get back on the road.

When the opportunity arose to visit Garden Island (thank you Paklid and Fargnot) I arrived three days early and used the time visiting all the quality caches in Bemidji that I was forced to pass up because of time constraints.

The good news is that my whirlwind tour of the state brought me to areas that I normally wouldn't visit and highlighted places where I will return.

SO all in all, its working out.

Looking back at it.. maybe I'll have to reassess my position in that regard. I should have been able to brag about finishing the county and DeLorme challenges while doing the state parks. But the run to the finish line for state parks left 10 holes on my county map and probably a dozen or more holes on my DeLorme map. Would have been nice to complete all three at the same time.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Looking back at it.. maybe I'll have to reassess my position in that regard. I should have been able to brag about finishing the county and DeLorme challenges while doing the state parks. But the run to the finish line for state parks left 10 holes on my county map and probably a dozen or more holes on my DeLorme map. Would have been nice to complete all three at the same time.

You don't have those done? Yet? Oh my...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
bflentje wrote:

You don't have those done? Yet? Oh my...

There's still time left in the year. Now that Halloween is winding down and gas is headed down, I may hit the road again and finish them up. My wife will be ecstatic.
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to get away from the big debate Razz but just wanted to mention that the Rice Lake cache is missing. What a day (Sunday) to search for half an hour in the 50 MPH winds blowing sleet on that point for a cache that wasn't there! We verified it with the ranger today (since we were there after the office closed) - gone. The ranger is sending us cards. Just make note of it.

LOL, we looked stinkin' everywhere for it, only further insulted by the fact, when we started reading logs, that everyone (including people who found only one cache!) found it. I mean, we even found that Lac Qui Parle one in its odd place. Ended up with soaking wet, near freezing pants. Ahhhh, another state parks caching tale!

Signed, lizs, who has a cache up for COTM (shameless plug) LOL[/i]
BigSequoia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Garden Island in Nov Reply with quote

I still want to get out to the island in November and the information I got from Deb that has taken a lot of folks out is this: " by mid-November, we may have too much ice up here to be able to take a boat anywhere. Our water temp right now is 44 degrees and dropping daily. Shoot for a date as early as you can and try to organize it for fairly early in the morning because of wind." If anybody is interested in going the weekend of Nov 8th and 9th or the 15th 16th let me know so we can share in costs. These may be the last weekends to go so if you know of anybody who still wants to get out there please let them know. I put it off too long and now I only have about 5 caches left and this is one of them. I would hate to put in all of this effort and not be able to complete the challange the way it was intended.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck - brrrrr.
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! You could rent a plane and parachute in. OR.. maybe a helicopter with the hanging ladder thing. I bet no one has done either those and you will live in infamy for your one-of-a-kind trip to (and expense to get to and from) Garden Island!

Razz
BigSequoia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some last minute plans and I am set up to hitch a ride out there tomorrow morning weather permitting. Its going to be a looong ride home if we can't get out there but we have to try. Wish us luck!
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSequoia wrote:
Made some last minute plans and I am set up to hitch a ride out there tomorrow morning weather permitting. Its going to be a looong ride home if we can't get out there but we have to try. Wish us luck!

Good Luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: