MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching.com iPhone Application
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Geocaching.com iPhone Application Reply with quote

Has anyone used this? I've purchased it and will report back when I've had some experience using it...

Since I have a gen 1 phone I can't use it for finding a geocache so it'll be my paperless caching solution for now.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is sad how GC has caved to the iPhone craze. For years there have been smart phones on the market, but they alwasy said they weren't going to do it, they even worked with Trimble to get a more cross platform (as much as possible) solution...but now to learn that they created a iPhone app, it is too bad that they went platform specific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an Iphone but I'm wondering if the applet costs money. If it does, then you have your answer why groundspeak did it. Mad
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
I don't have an Iphone but I'm wondering if the applet costs money. If it does, then you have your answer why groundspeak did it. Mad

Yep, $9.99.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made use of the iPhone today while out caching... was looking for a hint on a micro. I checked the hint: "Good Luck". Well, I suppose I could have sat around and decoded it.

Yea, $10. Cheaper than any other paperless system that I can find, no need to update cache information manually via GSAK, realtime GC accuracy when in the field...

The only downside that Carol points out is that you don't exactly get cell reception or wifi everywhere Cool I've barely made use of it at this point, but I can tell its a worthwhile addition.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
So I made use of the iPhone today while out caching... was looking for a hint on a micro. I checked the hint: "Good Luck". Well, I suppose I could have sat around and decoded it.

Yea, $10. Cheaper than any other paperless system that I can find, no need to update cache information manually via GSAK, realtime GC accuracy when in the field...

The only downside that Carol points out is that you don't exactly get cell reception or wifi everywhere Cool I've barely made use of it at this point, but I can tell its a worthwhile addition.

I don't own an iPhone, but I'm curious what the advantage of it is over the gc.com website or wap site?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the Edge network so I don't get the 3x faster connections that the 2nd gens get, but even using the WAP site versus the application, the application is much faster. Plus everything is formatted and displayed very nicely... so its an issue of formatting as well. There is tight integration with other iPhone apps, like google maps (directions and area overlays) (for those whom don't autoroute or would prefer to trust google's autoroute function).

Now that the whole world knows roughly where I live, please don't hurt me. And yes, the Lucid phone network is better than the AT&T network-- just sayin'.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
And yes, the Lucid phone network is better than the AT&T network-- just sayin'.

But does it have rollover minutes?
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

I recently got a new cellphone a Nokia E71 and Trimble offers their Geocache Navigator for free for Nokia phones. It's pretty slick and integrates with the built-in GPSr, allows filtering caches you have not found and similar, allows you to link the application to your GC.com account so you do not need to relogin, allows logs directly from the cellphone without having to connect to the GC.com site. It's the best deal for paperless caching I've found.

I have to say though, the traditional GPSr (thanks BestBuy) is still the superior way to search for a cache, the cellphone is just for verification of recent updates and reading logs.

-Jonas
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:
And yes, the Lucid phone network is better than the AT&T network-- just sayin'.

But does it have rollover minutes?

No, but it does have rollunder minutes Cool

One thing that I wish the app had that the trimble version doesn't have is integration with a geocaching.com account. I can't use it to log my finds in the field (yet) but I expect them to continually update this to the point where I can spend as little time in front of a computer as necessary to cache (which for me is important).
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
One thing that I wish the app had that the trimble version doesn't have is integration with a geocaching.com account. I can't use it to log my finds in the field (yet) but I expect them to continually update this to the point where I can spend as little time in front of a computer as necessary to cache (which for me is important).

I'm considering getting a iPhone 3G and have looked at this app. The rumor from groundspeak on their forums, is that is one of the next updates. They also said any updates would be free. Up to what point, I don't know, but for now, the updates are supposed to be free.

Lucid, I'm very interested in this. Thanks!
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are impressive screen shots. My Sprint Centro, my CacheMate, and I are all jealous.

I'm hoping, though, that the screen shots will help advertise my campaign for the Best Log award. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version released today. Features include but are not limited to:

* Filters prior hides and finds with a Geocaching.com login
* New "more" option on the search results page to return more than 20 geocaches (up to 100)
* Saved items now sort by distance

Bug Fixes:

* Navigation screen correctly shows miles/km based on program settings
* Fixed crashing bug when adding certain saved items
* Coordinate format corrected
* Issue with some caches near 0 degrees longitude corrected
* General stability improvements
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this for about a month - it's a neat application and well worth the current $2.99; it's marginally worth the $9.99 they normally charge for it. At best, it let me retire my Palm T3, which I'd been using exclusively for Cachemate, one less box to carry around.

On the downside, I have the 'old' iPhone (that sounds SO wrong...). As a result the application works poorly in cache-dense areas, say anywhere around Duluth or the Twin Cities. The faux-GPS is only accurate to maybe a half mile, and the app only downloads a max of 20 caches at a time. If you're trying to get specs on a particular cache, this is pretty useless. On the other hand, I used it in Moose Lake on Sunday, where it worked great (actually retrieved caches I was looking for).

The app REALLY needs two things: the ability to import GPX files, and, of course, ability to log a find - those may never appear due to Apple app restrictions, but we'll see.

The screen design and organization of the program are nice. I could do without the disclaimer screen that tells you how dangerous geocaching is, don't we already know that?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
The app REALLY needs two things: the ability to import GPX files, and, of course, ability to log a find - those may never appear due to Apple app restrictions, but we'll see.

I don't know about the GPX file part as groundspeak may say that's unnecessary with a data connection, but logging in the field is supposed to be in the update to be released in early January. That's the part I'm eagerly waiting on. I have a "new" iphone, ie 3g, and it works very good for paperless caching, but the gps receiver is not great so finding caches isn't very practical. Most of the time I get between 50 ft to 1.5 mile accuracy. Yes, I said 1.5 mile accuracy. Wink But that's not the fault of the app, but the gps receiver they used. That's also why the iphone doesn't support turn by turn directions. The receiver isn't accurate enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: