MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60CSx Topo map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: 60CSx Topo map Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with this problem. I put a 2gig card into my gps and tried to load the mapsource Topo for all of Minnesota but it will not let me. I can put in maybe 10 map sets and that is it. All of City Nav that I want (MN) is in ok. Topo would not even go in before I had city Nav.

Also
Is there a way to load the disks for Topo on to the PC so I do not have to put the disks in all the time.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 60CSx Topo map Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Can anyone help me with this problem. I put a 2gig card into my gps and tried to load the mapsource Topo for all of Minnesota but it will not let me. I can put in maybe 10 map sets and that is it. All of City Nav that I want (MN) is in ok. Topo would not even go in before I had city Nav.

When you say "it will not let me", what is the PC or GPS telling you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 60CSx Topos and store 80% of North America on one 2gig micro SD card. Can you be more specific? Given the specs you've listed, its certainly possible to do.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin has a limit to the number of MAP SEGMENTS (blocks of map, whatever) that can be loaded. I don't remember exactly what the number is though. Because of the topo lines and such, the Topography maps are divided into very small blocks, unlike the City Nav, which has very large blocks. Even though the Garmin is able to address a memory card that large, it isn't capable of doing anything onced you've crossed the threshold of maximum map blocks. If I remember right, I could barely get the surrounding 5 state area to work because the threshold gets met very quickly.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 60CSx Topo map Reply with quote

segment limit is 2025 unless you have an older firmware installed on the gps then it would be less.

andrewmcc wrote:
Topo would not even go in before I had city Nav.

This part concerns me.

andrewmcc wrote:

Also
Is there a way to load the disks for Topo on to the PC so I do not have to put the disks in all the time.

use a card reader.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 4 Gig card in muy 76C. I've got City Nav for the entire US and Canada, Topo for the US and central Canada and City Nav Europe installed. I don't have a problem switching between any of them.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gps will not use anything above the 2025 segments (its in the firmware), so even if you do have them loaded on the card ( by loading via a card reader) the gps will not see some of them, your going to have holes in your coverage. The new colorado might have much higher limits.
Topo alone has 6639 segments for USA.
But there is a work around
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know when you have a funny noise in your car and you go to the mechanic and it does not happen?
I tried to load all the maps I wanted to describe the symptoms to pearhead and what do you know they all loaded!
I swear i tried at least 8 or 9 times before.
Thanks for the help.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Well, you know when you have a funny noise in your car and you go to the mechanic and it does not happen?
I tried to load all the maps I wanted to describe the symptoms to pearhead and what do you know they all loaded!
Thanks for the help.

It's ok. The same thing happened to me. I don't use topo anymore though after having discovered City Nav.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Thanks for the help.

It's ok. The same thing happened to me. I don't use topo anymore though after having discovered City Nav.

It is nice to have both, I was near Ely last year and driving through lake country and NO lakes were showing up on city nav! But then again using Topo, I canoed in to Fourtown Lake which is a 4 mile by 1 mile lake and sandwiched between 2 like sized lakes and it was not there. It showed I was paddling on dry land. Funny, it did not seem like dry land.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Thanks for the help.

It is nice to have both, I was near Ely last year and driving through lake country and NO lakes were showing up on city nav! But then again using Topo, I canoed in to Fourtown Lake which is a 4 mile by 1 mile lake and sandwiched between 2 like sized lakes and it was not there. It showed I was paddling on dry land. Funny, it did not seem like dry land.

Probably easier to get out ot the canoe and walk.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
bflentje wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Probably easier to get out on the canoe and walk.

Hmmm. Walking on water..... might be a bit pretentious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: